THE BASSMEN - fender bassman players

echodeluxe

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
z100_3815.jpg

The guy I got this from said it had been black-faced before he sold it to me, but the master volume knob is still functional, which I was told by someone else that it wouldn't be truly "black-faced". Could the electical components have been b/f'ed & the master vol just left as-is? Any help would be appreciated (It sounds exactly like another one of these that I used to own that was not b/f'ed btw...). Matt :confused:

100_2329.jpg

The guy I got this from said it had been black-faced before he sold it to me, but the master volume knob is still functional, which I was told by someone else that it wouldn't be truly "black-faced". Could the electical components have been b/f'ed & the master vol just left as-is? Any help would be appreciated (It sounds exactly like another one of these that I used to own that was not b/f'ed btw...). Matt
:confused:

I would doubt it...It just sounds hinky...its possible that someone did what they consider a "blackface" job on it, but to me that would include removing the master volume...there should also me a noticeable difference sound-wise between that Bassman and a stock one, otherwise there wouldn't be any reason to blackface it...

• Members

The guy I got this from said it had been black-faced before he sold it to me, but the master volume knob is still functional, which I was told by someone else that it wouldn't be truly "black-faced". Could the electical components have been b/f'ed & the master vol just left as-is? Any help would be appreciated (It sounds exactly like another one of these that I used to own that was not b/f'ed btw...). Matt

I have modded those to hell and back. You CAN get them to sound pretty good, but you can't BLACKFACE an amp that was never a BLACKFACE to begin with. For one, the transformers are totally WRONG for that application. They sound horrible.

- WOT

• Members
I have modded those to hell and back. You CAN get them to sound pretty good, but you can't BLACKFACE an amp that was never a BLACKFACE to begin with. For one, the transformers are totally WRONG for that application. They sound horrible.

- WOT

Depends on the transformers.

Early silverface transformers aren't that much different (if at all). They beefed them up more as they went along. Are you talking about 1968 transformers, or 1978 transfomers, or are you saying they're the same thing?

Even two different years of real blackface amps can have different circuits AND different transformers. I'm pretty sure a 1967 blackface is closer to a 1967 silverface than either is to a 1964 blackface, and they're all pretty similar, beyond that.

What's "that application", that you speak of? Amplifying an electric guitar?:lol:

echo...The difference between an AA864 and an AB165 circuit has nothing to do with "mojo". They're different circuits. No mysticism involved.

• Members

I owned a bassman back in the day. It was pretty common to use them for combo organs due to the lack of anything better. This was in a time when local bands all ran backlines and vocals only would go out through the main pa. We played alot of big rooms,, typically high school gyms. To get the performance we needed, we ran two cabs with all the piggy back fenders. The bassplayer and myself ran double rig bassmans and the guitar player ran a double cab tremelux. Today with PA support and micing ,,, a single cab would cut it. These old fenders were great amps ,, but you needed to respect their limits. Diming a bassman sounded like crap and could scatter the speakers. Great amp,,,,, wish i still had my blackface. It served me well and took the abuse of michigan winters and being loaded in and out on all those one nighters. rat

• Members

I would doubt it...It just sounds hinky...its possible that someone did what they consider a "blackface" job on it, but to me that would include removing the master volume...there should also me a noticeable difference sound-wise between that Bassman and a stock one, otherwise there wouldn't be any reason to blackface it...

Yeah, I thought maybe he had some of the guts replaced (with the better parts that the older ones were made with), but this thing sounds excactly like another (SF) one I used to own, that was stock. I love the SF amps, but I'd love to own a BF as well! I'm kind of a gear whore. The working master vol was the thing that made me think he was just giving me a line, but I still made out pretty good. Eventually I'll aquire a BF model (probably a head of some sort), but for now this is cool. I really want a sf twin & super reverb right now as well!

• Members

Even two different years of real blackface amps can have different circuits AND different transformers. I'm pretty sure a 1967 blackface is closer to a 1967 silverface than either is to a 1964 blackface, and they're all pretty similar, beyond that.

What's "that application", that you speak of? Amplifying an electric guitar?

Application as in "Blackface". Early-mid-60's OT is gonna sound different than late 70's OT.

- WOT

• Members

blackfacing is such a stupid "mojo" thing. ugh.

anywho, sweet bassman ten.

this is my most successful thread to date!

Yeah, I hear you, I've always loved the way sf's sounded (that "sparkle"). Don't get me wrong, I'd love an old BF anything! Ha ha, maybe in the near future (tax time, LOL). I'd never get rid of this thing; it's my second (wish I still had that one as well) one & it's just like having a super reverb without the reverb.

• Members

- WOT

Do I detect a bit of "cork sniffery" here? It's just a term used by modders, as far as I knew.

Yeah, I thought maybe he had some of the guts replaced (with the better parts that the older ones were made with), but this thing sounds excactly like another (SF) one I used to own, that was stock. I love the SF amps, but I'd love to own a BF as well! I'm kind of a gear whore. The working master vol was the thing that made me think he was just giving me a line, but I still made out pretty good. Eventually I'll aquire a BF model (probably a head of some sort), but for now this is cool. I really want a sf twin & super reverb right now as well!

I had a 74 Silverface super reverb that was "Blackfaced"...it didn't really sound like a blackface, but it did sound really good...I really regret selling that amp...

It sounds like the guy either didn't know what he was talking about or was lying...I think that when it comes down to it we are all probably gear whores on some level!

Ultimately, if you are happy with the amp thats all that counts.

• Members

blackface amps are the cork sniffers amp of choice.

the onyl appreciable difference between "blackface" OT's and early "silverface" OT's is that there is an "ultralinear" tap on the transformer thats being used (on some models, most weren't UL until after 75). want it to sound better? switch the tap.

early silverface amps are very very similar to the BF amps. you dont start to get a big difference until after 75...

• Members

I said "different" not better or worse. Go to the LP forum for that.

Bassman Tens are one of the worst Fenders ever built IMO. They don't sound good at all for bass, and less than stellar for guitar. Do they get the job done? Of course. I still own "part" of my old one - the 4 x 10 box loaded with different ohm speakers for a testing station now. I have modded those amps for several different guitar and harp players. They are what they are, but there are other much better Fender choices for guitar or bass than that amp, for not all that much difference in price.

- WOT

• Members
Application as in "Blackface". Early-mid-60's OT is gonna sound different than late 70's OT.

- WOT

Late 70's???? The LAST silverfaces were late 70's.

The first ones were late 60's, and the OT wasn't "beefed up" to what it would be later, yet. I mentioned that before, I think.

echo, you're right if you mean "blackface" is "mojo", as far as an original black panel goes. A "blackfaced" s.f., otoh, is a different circuit from a stock one. Similar, but different. I guess it depends on what you mean by "mojo", in that case. The difference between the amps is electronic, though....not "mojo".

But, either way, there's no "The transfomers" in silverface amps, worldoftone. "They" aren't totally wrong. Some are, some aren't.

It's telling that you skipped straight to the late 70's in your statement, though.;)

the onyl appreciable difference between "blackface" OT's and early "silverface" OT's is that there is an "ultralinear" tap on the transformer thats being used (on some models, most weren't UL until after 75). want it to sound better? switch the tap.

early silverface amps are very very similar to the BF amps. you dont start to get a big difference until after 75...

I have a 1971 Deluxe Reverb that is probably my favorite amp in the world...its been modded a little (allegedly blackfaced) but it sounds awesome...

Here is a clip from a gig with that amp...

[YOUTUBE]NxdY-UoZAAA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XLiJWVu9EME[/YOUTUBE]

If I was looking for another amp I would probably look at the black faces first, but I would be perfectly happy with the right silverface...

• Members

I said "different" not better or worse. Go to the LP forum for that.

Bassman Tens are one of the worst Fenders ever built IMO. They don't sound good at all for bass, and less than stellar for guitar. Do they get the job done? Of course. I still own "part" of my old one - the 4 x 10 box loaded with different ohm speakers for a testing station now. I have modded those amps for several different guitar and harp players. They are what they are, but there are other much better Fender choices for guitar or bass than that amp, for not all that much difference in price.

- WOT

if you think that the bassman ten is the worst fender ever built, thats fine that is your opinion. of course they were crap for bass, all of the bassmen were! every single one was under built for bass. fender bassman amps are terrible bass amps, but one of the best for guitar in my opinion.

now, what year was your bassman ten? what about them is so terrible?

ive owned two, a 78 and a 72. the 78 was fantastic when i got it, but after i got the 72 i realized how thin it was. the 72 is warm, and i swear it could go toe to toe with my buddies 59 RI. now, it is voiced a little different from other bassmen, but it has that bassman grind when you crank it. the only reason i parted with mine was because i needed more volume. i think that amp is a conservative 50 watts. it breaks up early too.

i dont wanna argue, but one mans crappy amp is another's holy grail.

• Members

Late 70's???? The LAST silverfaces were late 70's.

The first ones were late 60's, and the OT wasn't "beefed up" to what it would be later, yet. I mentioned that before, I think.

echo, you're right if you mean "blackface" is "mojo", as far as an original black panel goes. A "blackfaced" s.f., otoh, is a different circuit from a stock one. Similar, but different. I guess it depends on what you mean by "mojo", in that case. The difference between the amps is electronic, though....not "mojo".

But, either way, there's no "The transfomers" in silverface amps, worldoftone. "They" aren't totally wrong. Some are, some aren't.

It's telling that you skipped straight to the late 70's in your statement, though.

I'm not going to argue with you. BF Vs. SF. Whatever. I've owned, and GIGGED with most every single type Fender tube amp made from the late 50s. I think our lines are crossed. I think I have something like 15 or 16 Fenders going back to 1948.

Early SF Amps are great. Late SF amps are great. But many times trying to get into BF territory comes down to more than just changing a few parts.

now, what year was your bassman ten? what about them is so terrible?

I've owned two of them A late 70s and an early 70s. The late 70s was the worst. I am thinking it had those 4-32-ohm speakers wired for 8-ohms. Way to sterile for guitar, and when pushed with a bass, flubby, and not enough bottom end. Mind you, I owned these in the mid-80s, when they were a lot newer than now.

It also comes from perception too. I got a Bassman 135 shortly thereafter, and that amp was MUCH better than the Bassman Ten. I also had a '71 SF Twin Reverb. So, for the Bassman Ten to live up to that, eh not going to happen. I thought it was maybe me, but in the last three or four years, I have played several, and they just really don't do it for ME. They just don't sound "right" to me when I think of Fender. That being said, I'll take one of those any day over and SS POS.

i dont wanna argue, but one mans crappy amp is another's holy grail.

I agree 100%.

- WOT

• Members

Yeah, not sure of the year. Anyone have a good database for checking the s/n's on these? Matt

Archived