THE BASSMEN - fender bassman players

echodeluxe

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can count me in. This was my main amp for about 15 years. I went through a load of cabs, But this Bassman 100 just sounds right.

Picture050.jpg

I recently added an effects loop myself with a mod kit. I had been using pedals with it. But I love using rack preamps with this thing as a power amp. it sounds killer.

• Members

I'm looking to join this club. I have a bid in on eBay on a '68.

Not to sound like a broken record from the other thread, but I'm interested in the Voodoo Chile tone, the long version, not Slight Return. Basically loud as hell and deep tone and pretty clean with a touch of breakup. I'm thinking maybe Jimi used this same amp, he usually had the new stuff from Fender.

I DON'T want the Clapton fuzzy tone he gets from the combos. I guess they are the '59 reissues? Could have something to do with his guitar with the mid boost, I don't know.

• Members

I'm looking to join this club. I have a bid in on eBay on a '68.

Not to sound like a broken record from the other thread, but I'm interested in the Voodoo Chile tone, the long version, not Slight Return. Basically loud as hell and deep tone and pretty clean with a touch of breakup. I'm thinking maybe Jimi used this same amp, he usually had the new stuff from Fender.

I DON'T want the Clapton fuzzy tone he gets from the combos. I guess they are the '59 reissues? Could have something to do with his guitar with the mid boost, I don't know.

yep. bassman can do that.

• Members

I got a '65, my avatar. It sounds killer through my 2x12 greenback cab :thu:

If you guys want to experiment with your tones, I highly recommend putting a 12AY7 in the V1 slot (next to your phase inverter), it smooths out the normal channel, increases headroom and warms it up.

When I play rock n roll though, I put the 12AX7 back in and turn it up! :thu:

• Members

Doesn't closing the back of the amp, cause it to overheat?

Yea, I'm curious too.. if you block off the back of a combo like the 59 narrow panel (to get more bass and speaker compression) doesn't that cause problems with the tubes not dissipating heat?

• Members

Otherwise, if my scanner was working, I could post pics of my BF from back in the day :) Great amp!

Removing the mids from the guitar is tantamount to removing the lows from the bass, removing the presence from the cymbals, and removing the ammo from a gun

With that thought in mind, what REALLY is the difference in sound between the 59 tweed (5f6a) circuit and the BF (ab165) circuit bassmans? (not counting speakers) Was it mainly the BF having that bit of mid scoop, or was it more than just that?

skipstar59, does that Allen mod essentially turn a BF into a 2 channel tweed/BF like this guy has done here?

• Members

Sorry guys no pictures .... but i ran a fender black face with two cabs back in the day ,, plus a fender leslie. Our bass player ran a bassmen with double cabs. the guitar player ran a tremelux with two cabs. It was a mighty fine lookin old school backline. I really feel bad that we never took any gig pictures. I always lusted for a dual showman with two bottoms .... rat

• Members

Otherwise, if my scanner was working, I could post pics of my BF from back in the day
:)
Great amp!

Removing the mids from the guitar is tantamount to removing the lows from the bass, removing the presence from the cymbals, and removing the ammo from a gun

With that thought in mind, what REALLY is the difference in sound between the 59 tweed (5f6a) circuit and the BF (ab165) circuit bassmans?
(not counting speakers)
Was it mainly the BF having that bit of mid scoop, or was it more than just that?

skipstar59, does that Allen mod essentially turn a BF into a 2 channel tweed/BF like this guy has done here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4g6GUBudpI

Yes it is a 2 channel amp that is very versitile with an A/B/Y box.

The Allen/Master Volume modded Bassman is a fire breathing animal. The 4 clips I have of this amp doesn't tell the whole story. The Bass channel is a Tweed/Plexi channel, and the normal is the AA-864 circuitry. The Bass can get some serious heavy modded Tweed and Plexi tones. Without the master volume mod, the tones aren't available even with the Allen mod. To get these heavy tones you must have the Allen and the master volume to be able to really push the preamp tubes and control the gain with the master volume. I really liked the Allen mod on my bassman head, but the master volume mod made it a real guitar tone monster.

• Members

So, why's he not doing the conversion mod any more? Makes for a great sounding, versatile amp.
:confused:

I don't have pics, but I'm in the club too, I reckon.
:thu:

E.C., he doesn't do it cause it was taking to much time for all these mods, and he makes way more money selling his kits and amps. Dollars and cents is what it amounts to. :)

I'm a Fender Bassman guy, and here's my Bassman Family:

These are all Allen modded Bassman heads:

100_0342.jpg

Here's my '62 6G6-A Blonde Bassman:

100_0418.jpg

Here's my '66 Allen/Master Volume modded Bassman:

P6260099-1.jpg

Holy Mackerel!!!!!! I have a '66 Bassman, but you have the motherlode! Beautiful collection!

Archived