Roland Gaia

Gaul

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Thing is, the name Gaia is Greek, Juno/Jupiter/Saturn are Roman. (called respectively Hera, Zeus and Kronos in Greek mythology).
thumb.gif One can tell that you are from Europe. wave.gif
I don't think that to some headquarter in Japan it makes any difference, though.

• Members

from my agent fellow:

Basically he talks about two new pianos (one of them is based on v-piano).

And of course that Gaia with 20 different waveforms per oscillator. Three oscillators, more menus. That's about it.

You know, i've actually been some time there on that forum, and while that guy Slowstar is good and very kind as a person i don't remember him from any bigger technical discussions when it comes to synths. So... i'll rather wait those 4 days instead and read the specs myself. If you get my point.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MetroSonus

View Post

And of course that Gaia with 20 different waveforms per oscillator.

The SH-32 had 60+ waveforms. But that was misleading because they had 12 different saws, 12 different squares (stepped at 15% pulse, at 20% pulse, etc).

• Members

A close friend of mine's sister is dating a guy who's brother's cousin knows a guy that drives the guy to work that cleans toilets at Roland instruments division...

while he was in there, he heard info about the new lineup.
The "Guya" (misheard elsewhere) is in a briefcase that folds open into a keyboard and a popup back part with knobs and old synth stuff sort of like the Radius or Moogs. It has full 256 polyphony voices that are 100% analog thanks to recent reduction in chip sizes and nanotechnology. It's also a sampler, a rompler, a trompler and a scrambler, complete with DJ mixing and bit slicing live controls. It also will cook bacon and eggs, and check to see if your fly is down.

Total MSRP: $250 to compete.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd View Post
A close friend of mine's sister is dating a guy who's brother's cousin knows a guy that drives the guy to work that cleans toilets at Roland instruments division...

while he was in there, he heard info about the new lineup.
The "Guya" (misheard elsewhere) is in a briefcase that folds open into a keyboard and a popup back part with knobs and old synth stuff sort of like the Radius or Moogs. It has full 256 polyphony voices that are 100% analog thanks to recent reduction in chip sizes and nanotechnology. It's also a sampler, a rompler, a trompler and a scrambler, complete with DJ mixing and bit slicing live controls. It also will cook bacon and eggs, and check to see if your fly is down.

Total MSRP: $250 to compete.

Did you manage to get a release date icon_lol.gif

• Members

Seamonkey, there are 4 keyboardists named on the Roland site. Richard Barbieri, Jean Michel Jarre (France) who is a very famous musician around the world, Jordan Rudess of the US and Hisashi Saito of Japan. Probably the most famous or well known SH-201 user would be Madonna's keyboardist -I think Marcus Brown- Yes, the Madonna we all know. They have a specially made SH that's totally white. I know Hadouken also uses the SH. There's another band that's called "Abandon All Ships" that uses the SH too. Another world famous band (from Europe) is Milk Inc. they also use the SH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjLHX5-z0gs

Despite all that, a lot of people like to talk {censored} about this synth and call it a "toy" while at the same time calling the almost microscopic useless joke of a synth like the microkorg "an amazing synth".confused.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by synth_lover View Post
Jordan Rudess of the US
As if he really uses it poke.gif

Quote Originally Posted by synth_lover View Post
Despite all that, a lot of people like to talk {censored} about this synth and call it a "toy" while at the same time calling the almost microscopic useless joke of a synth like the microkorg "an amazing synth".confused.gif
That's only because it's true.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundxplorer

View Post

The SH-32 had 60+ waveforms. But that was misleading because they had 12 different saws, 12 different squares (stepped at 15% pulse, at 20% pulse, etc).

the whole thing was compressed and {censored}e sounding idn_smilie.gifgreat for some lo fi distortion, but hardly worth the money.

• Members

I for one would love to see a new mid to upper end VA from Roland. They have a pretty rich development history to draw from, and I think they could do something interesting in the sub-$2,000 range that would give European synth companies a run for their money.

If nothing else, Roland should do it to save face and re-establish their place in that market, since out of all the Big Three, Korg has been the one to come out with the most innovative hardware over the past decade or so (Radias, M3, EMX1/ESX1, R3, Oasys).

• Members

If nothing else, Roland should do it to save face and re-establish their place in that market, since out of all the Big Three, Korg has been the one to come out with the most innovative hardware over the past decade or so (Radias, M3, EMX1/ESX1, R3, Oasys).

"I like this keyboard so that must mean it's innovative."

No.

The OASYS is the only type of product in your list that hadn't been done by other companies long before, including Roland.

To be innovative, you kinda have to bring some notably new technology (or unique implementation of existing technology) to the table. It doesn't even have to be good

• Members

"I like this keyboard so that must mean it's
innovative
."

No.

The OASYS is the only type of product in your list that hadn't been done by other companies long before, including Roland.

To be innovative, you kinda have to bring some notably new technology (or unique implementation of existing technology) to the table. It doesn't even have to be good

• Members

No MI company makes more unique, innovative tech than Roland (whether you like the results of that tech or not).

True. It seems at times, though, that Roland's drive to be innovative results in them continually reinventing the wheel, so to speak. There's something to be said for taking a break to consider backwards compatibility (like Kurzweil) or maintaining a consistent UI and workflow across similar products (like Korg and Yamaha). With Roland, it seems like every new idea comes with a caveat of some sort.

• Members

There's something to be said for taking a break to consider backwards compatibility (like Kurzweil) or maintaining a consistent UI and workflow across similar products (like Korg and Yamaha). With Roland, it seems like every new idea comes with a caveat of some sort.

Definitely. I've been around long enough to recognize what MI companies attempt to accomplish with new products, and Roland consistently garners the most "huh?"s. :confused:

Bet a lot of it revolves around generating patentable tech

• Members

Definitely. I've been around long enough to recognize what MI companies attempt to accomplish with new products, and Roland consistently garners the most "huh?"s. :confused:

Bet a lot of it revolves around generating patentable tech

Archived