Roland Gaia

Gaul

• Members

Those guys are all endorsed by Roland. They get a 201 for free, get some cash to show up with one every now and then to make people think they actually use them. They might even use them overy once in a while. But do you really think that JMJ is impressed with this toy? Look at all the stuff he has used over the years. Have you seen footage of his studio?

Also, the microkorg has been used by a lot more pro artists than the 201 has.

What's the appeal of the MicroKorg? Is it its programmability? Nope. Its massive, textured, dynamic sound? Hell no.

The MicroKorg is tiny, weighs almost nothing, is affordable, has a (meh-sounding) vocoder, and it's very easy to select genre-specific patches. It's a great "first" synth. Or something to place on top of another synth. Its appeal is its form factor, not its features or sound.

But I guess "they're a bunch of clueless amateurs".

Of course not, but I'm sure Korg gave MicroKorgs away as well. All the big MI companies take advantage of endorsees. Dudes like Jordan Rudess and BT (especially BT) just whore themselves out.

Of course, I would too if I were them, so that's not a bad thing. :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why do people take synth comments so personally?
:lol:

This.

It's all a matter of personal taste in the end, isn't it? If a lot of people hate the sound of the SH-201, that's better for me, I still think it's capable of very useful sounds, it's cheap and its sound won't be as ubiquitous as the JP-8000 was, for example. Or like a Virus has been in the last few years...

To me, what made me get the concept Roland was going for with the 201 oscillators and filter, was listening to the audio demos on their recent "additional patches" page. That's where I saw that they were trying to model a more aggressive analog type of sound, a bit more raw (70s) and less refined/smooth (which would be the 80s analog sounds, generically speaking). Since the Fusion does refined/smooth well, the 201 is a good addition. And it was very cheap.

Edit: this is all IMHO, and it does make more smooth/lush sounds, though not quite as well as some other VAs, but still.

• Members
Zoink, I think you are missing the bigger picture. Sure Korg came out with a VA expansion for there romplers but, Roland has released Vari-phrase, V-Drums, V-Synths, more Guitar Synths, V-Accordians, MV-8000s and many other cool products in the last 10 years. If anybody has been lacking it's Yamaha. BTW. I also has a huge selection of Roland and well as Korg stuff.

:thu:

There IS a bigger picture that I was specifically and consciously avoiding in this conversation.

What you say is true. Roland does in fact have a greater diversity of product offerings overall. My comments were specific to workstations, drum machines/grooveboxes, and VAs produced by both companies over the past ten years.

• Members
Zoink, I think you are missing the bigger picture. Sure Korg came out with a VA expansion for there romplers but, Roland has released Vari-phrase, V-Drums, V-Synths, more Guitar Synths, V-Accordians, MV-8000s and many other cool products in the last 10 years. If anybody has been lacking it's Yamaha. BTW. I also has a huge selection of Roland and well as Korg stuff.

:thu:

AND teh new V-Tamborine at Musikmesse 2010 :lol:

• Members

And there are literally
dozens
of features in the Fantom-G that never existed in a keyboard workstation before (some big, some akin to a tube with an orange LED behind it).The V-Synth GT.As an ARX board for the G? Yeah, they
totally
should do that, and there's a thread over on Fantomized where that (and a drawbar emulation board) are at the top of an ARX request list. Unfortunately, I think Roland sees this "SuperNatural" thing as an emulation of acoustic instruments, not a be-all, end-all programming platform for cool new stuff. Between you and me, I suspect it's little more than a testing ground for new technology. It wouldn't surprise me if the next Fantom is
all
SuperNatural-based.Yeah, definitely. Me too.

I appreciate the SH-201 for what it is

• Members

I would love there to be a new SH-201. Something a bit more heavy and doesn't have an AC adaptor.

When I worked at Sam Ash for a couple months. I always played the SH-201 and loved it.... liked it more than the Prophet 08 right above it.

that job sucked.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

My main point regarding the Fantom (again, as an X7 owner) is that what they released during the entire first half of the previous decade was too little too late, in light of what Korg and Yamaha were already doing.

That being said, I think the G and X play a nice game of catch-up, though I wish they didn't move so heavily and strictly in the "more megabytes of ROM" direction.

The Fantom-G added 120 new features from the X (to date, to my count), many of which aren't found in any other keyboard product, and all of which are more usable than an orange LED behind a tube. 24 dedicated audio tracks that automatically timestretch to match realtime or playback tempo? 128 discrete MIDI tracks? Dedicated parts (and all those extra tracks) for external modules? Dedicated effects for every internal part? Seamless Live Set transitions of all effects and all parts?

But it would be nice to see a flagship VA by Roland deserving of the iconic status of the Virus or Q, but with a Jupiter-revival kind of sound without the limitations and quirks of the JP8080.

Roland's weird like that. They seem to focus on two demographics

• Members

Like I was saying. All these web sites posted the 'rumors' of new synths in the past and we'd find out a week ahead of time. Now Roland probably just hands them the press release a week ahead of time and has them sign NDAs not to release one shred of info until March 24th so we don't end up finding out until it's posted. Crazy theory?

Archived