Roland Gaia

Gaul

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can be summarised simply as "MOAR SUPERSAW!"

The 5 effects look fun, but I'm not sure about the 106-inspired front panel. In fact it all looks far too plastic-y for my liking. My JP8k recently survived falling off the top of a 3-tier, but I don't think this would...

• Members

Unbelievable how toy-like in appearance their stuff is getting.

Do they have some kind of Peter Pan syndrome running rampant in the design department at this company?

V-Link but no digital I/O?

This whole joke is a bit over my head, maybe -- I was hoping for a true successor to the JP8000.

I guess this is smart marketing, though -- it seems to cater to the "I just mastered-the-SH-201-and-would-like-the-next-step-up" demographic, the "I want to tour with Lady Gaga" kids, and the praise-and-worship crowd simultaneously.

Honestly, I bet it sounds pretty good, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHines

View Post

What are the differences between the new Gaia SH-01 and the SH-201?

from what we've been discussing, it's 3 independent sh201s. we assume there's a way to split, layer or stack the parts.. it's also got an effects section in which you can create effects chains.

• Members

I'm thinking it is 3 independent oscillators - not parts, or multitimbral.

Kind of useless really - 3 lfos really means only one lfo per oscillator?

The roland copy seems to read that way too "three fat analog synths" or something something..

• Members

If one patent does not infringe on another patent, there is no "squirming around...".

If KARMA controls more than one part simultaneously (which it obviously does), then it infringes on Yamaha's patent of arpeggio(s) that control more than one part simultaneously. Yamaha may not care, or Korg may pay them a license fee, or the wording of the patent may be such that "squirming around" was doable.

It's not an insult to Korg

• Members
Most of the effects have multiple variations that can be controlled with the FX control knobs. So there are ten types visible from the front panel, but "dozens" that are selectable.
:thu:

Build quality is supposed to be "better than it looks". No info on battery life yet, or anything about an editor/librarian/VST plugin, though I would expect they'll eventually materialize.

Am about to dump my V-Synth for an Infinite Response VAX77, and this might just find a place on the top right panel.

Looks good.

Thanks so much

Current Draw 600 mA on the Jap site so that is pretty good. Looks like enough to play on battery just about any where ... cool :)

• Members

BAD: Portamento adjusted not by knob, not by slider, but by + and - buttons. No LCD to show the actual value.
BAD: Not even a tiniest LCD screen. It means that no applied parameter value will be readable in numbers. Unless they come with some PC editor, but... still not cool, looks frustrating to depend of the approximate guess of your ear for change of the parameter values.
GOOD: Looks like it's 16-part multitmbral
BAD: ... but only one single part appears to be dedicated to VA engine. Roland needs to clear up what 15 other PCM parts actually mean (I see some others also did not understand that).
BAD: Pitch bender is movable only in 3 directions, two for pitch (left, right), and up for modulation. Such expressive engine could well use modulation 2 function applied as a movement down of the pitch bender.

• Members

The VA engine is single part, but there's an extra 15-part multitimbral engine available when connected to a sequencer/controller. Only 8 PCM sounds are accessible from the front panel.

So that would mean that all three "tones" are played as is: no splits, layers, stacks, synchs etc?

are the 8 pcm samples for the oscillators? any idea what they are?

I dont know about the 8 PCMs and the 15 parts. my gut is they are recycled rompler stuffs to give beginners a leg up :idk:

• Members
If KARMA controls more than one part simultaneously (which it obviously does), then it infringes on Yamaha's patent of arpeggio(s) that control more than one part simultaneously. Yamaha may not care, or Korg may pay them a license fee, or the wording of the patent may be such that "squirming around" was doable.

This explains why Stephen Kay (KARMA inventor) goes out of his way to inform people that KARMA is not an arpeggiator, although it could be used to simulate one. :lol:

Doesn't Korg already license FM (called "VPM" in Korg synths) and physical modeling from Yamaha already?

Archived