[META-THREAD] The Religion Thread: Discuss Here Please!

yer momma

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Islam, Christianity and Judasim (the three main monotheistic religions) all ask you to take things on faith.

Believing something with no evidence.

I dunno about you but I'm with Carl Sagan when he said "extrordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

So I'm not gonna believe anything so monumentally important unless it is well supported by convincing evidence. This can not be said of any religion.

There is therefore, no more reason to follow any of these over one of the other infinite hypothetical positions one could hold on no evidence.

• Members
Because humans would not have morals if this was just a free for all. Ever watch any documentaries on nature/the universe? There is something binding all of existence together.

Humans would have died off a long time ago if it was a free for all. The leap from morals to the existence of the universe is nonsensical. God is defined as what created the universe. The universe exists. Therefore God exists. And that IMO is all we know about God.

• Members
No, the first traces of religion that are found show that the most early forms of religion explain very basic questions about the world. More complicated and explaining forms like Christianity came ages later.

Nope. Modern world religions are "popularized" and exoteric versions (well, perversions, really) of the original divine teachings. Don't confuse any and all superstitions as being "traces of religion." :thu:

• Members

I'm a man of science, not faith. I had to have proof. I found it in the book of Luke. Dates, times, places and witnesses.

It was only after I was convenced that I called out to God. I asked Him to forgive me for breaking His laws. I knew from His word that the only way I could be forgiven was through Jesus Christ. And I'm confessing this fact to you all right now and asking you to consider it for yourselves.

Ask any born again Christian about this and you'll get the exact same story. No matter where they are, it's the same.

What I can't understand is why so many get defensive at the mere mention of God. Why do so many get angry to hear that God loves us? And that He made a way for us to be forgiven. There is NOTHING bad in that.

Please read the book of Luke and see for yourself. If you want to read further, go to Acts. It's like part 2 of Luke.

FP

Why don't you read the Satanic Bible??

• Members

What I can't understand is why so many get defensive at the mere mention of God. Why do so many get angry to hear that God loves us? And that He made a way for us to be forgiven. There is NOTHING bad in that.

I don't get angry, I just don't understand why you people do it. You wouldn't listen to me if I told you God didn't exist, so why do you think I would listen to what you're saying?

• Members

I have no problem with people's beliefs in God. It's the things they do in his name that pisses me off

• Members
Islam, Christianity and Judasim (the three main monotheistic religions) all ask you to take things on faith.

Believing something with no evidence.

I dunno about you but I'm with Carl Sagan when he said "extrordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

So I'm not gonna believe anything so monumentally important unless it is well supported by convincing evidence. This can not be said of any religion.

There is therefore, no more reason to follow any of these over one of the other infinite hypothetical positions one could hold on no evidence.

The problem with "religious evidence," if you'll forgive the term, is that it is not empirical and is therefore non-transferable, not that it doesn't exist. I have had first-hand experiences of the divine; therefore, I am not "believing something with no evidence." However, I am thoroughly acquainted with the empirical requirements of modern science, and so I know without question that my personal evidence is utterly worthless to anybody else.

Therefore, I do not ask anyone to "believe what I believe"; rather, I say "seek your own experiences." :idea:

• Members

I believe in God, because I can, and because I have seen too much beauty in my 23 years to think that this all can just be coincidence and nature.

Oh grow up.

You can't just say "oh everything is so pwetty, a god must exist".

Go to a starving village and say that, go to the bed of somebody dying of a horrible and gruesome illness and say that or tell it to a mother holding the decapitated torso of her child after a suicidebomber has just finished their grizzly work.

What is natural selection but endless death? Constant and merciless killing of creatures before they can pass on their DNA.

Nature is not all bunnies and rainbows.

Nature is cooly indifferent.

• Members

I feel that their must be something out their how are we the only lifeforms in this vast universe that is illogical. The idea of God is a hope thing that something is their after everything is over. I feel their is a greater being as the coincidence of life is to much for chance imo. The creation of the Earth and life on earth was a gazillion to one chance but yet it happened.

Think about this

-Earth is the perfect distance from the sun for the correct amount of heat to support life

- When the moon and earth came together the moon hit the earth and bounced off and got stuck at the perfect distance from the earth to control the tides and balance the planet otherwise the earth would spin on an uneven axis constantly turning and basically rolling around through space.

- the atmosphere is 21% oxygen. if it was 19% we wouldnt have enough oxygen to breath, if their was 23% our bodies would be so flammable we would burst into flames.

The coincidence of life is just to much for the mind to boggle and i feel it is to much for mere coincidence.

Whether the christian God exists or not i do not know and cannot say however i do believe in a greater being in someway or form.

Also about this universe creation talk their are to many theories to count. The Big Bang of course is the most widely accepted.

But of course their are many others such as my favorite the one about how are universe is part of this "multi-verse" where all the universes sit on this one plain. And universes are created as two universes collide. and that they also believe that an entire vast universe displacing as much space as our own could exist in a laboratory and thus they want to make one. But this led me to believe how funny it would be if our entire universe was created in some lab of some other universe lol. Same theory as the little universe in the orb from the MIB movie

• Members
And what do you see as the original divine teachings?

That's way too big a question to be answered fairly in a thread like this on a forum like this ... PM me if you're genuinely curious, & I'll suggest some sources you can investigate -- sources which do not claim "divine authority," but which you may evaluate for yourself as to whether they are valid or bull{censored}. :)

• Members

What if God set the gears in motion, and then just left?

Religions (the monotheistic ones, anyway) always talk about God as being this infinite, infallible, and all-knowing entity... but is it possible that God is simply REALLY powerful compared to us? Think of it this way- to an insect, I would be unfathomably powerful. I could crush it without any effort, I am millions of times it's size, and I can trap it in a box without it even knowing that it was trapped. My species does and creates things that it would never and could not possibly understand. But I am far from omnipotent. I am just WAY beyond anything the bug can do or comprehend.

How come nobody ever talks about that possibility? Are human beings so vain that they think the only thing that could be more powerful than them would have to be all-powerful?

As for my personal beliefs, well, I certainly believe in God, but see him/her/it as more of a mad scientist/drunk father than anything else. I certainly don't go to church or live my life by any holy book.

• Members

Oh yes I do. I see his work everywhere. I see sickness and death. I see wars and human suffering. I see decieved people who choose death over life.

You're wrong my friend, I understand Satanism.

FP

You don't even have the right idea of what Satanism is.

Satan is not seen as any kind of deity.

• Members
I feel that their must be something out their how are we the only lifeforms in this vast universe that is illogical. The idea of God is a hope thing that something is their after everything is over. I feel their is a greater being as the coincidence of life is to much for chance imo. The creation of the Earth and life on earth was a gazillion to one chance but yet it happened.

Think about this

-Earth is the perfect distance from the sun for the correct amount of heat to support life

- When the moon and earth came together the moon hit the earth and bounced off and got stuck at the perfect distance from the earth to control the tides and balance the planet otherwise the earth would spin on an uneven axis constantly turning and basically rolling around through space.

- the atmosphere is 21% oxygen. if it was 19% we wouldnt have enough oxygen to breath, if their was 23% our bodies would be so flammable we would burst into flames.

The coincidence of life is just to much for the mind to boggle and i feel it is to much for mere coincidence.

Whether the christian God exists or not i do not know and cannot say however i do believe in a greater being in someway or form.

Also about this universe creation talk their are to many theories to count. The Big Bang of course is the most widely accepted.

But of course their are many others such as my favorite the one about how are universe is part of this "multi-verse" where all the universes sit on this one plain. And universes are created as two universes collide. and that they also believe that an entire vast universe displacing as much space as our own could exist in a laboratory and thus they want to make one. But this led me to believe how funny it would be if our entire universe was created in some lab of some other universe lol. Same theory as the little universe in the orb from the MIB movie

Do you realize how many planets there are in the universe?
Why do people think life HAS to be on Earth and that it HAS to be as it is now, that there is simply no other way it could have happened :confused:

• Members

i don't have a problem with people believing what they will, and it wouldn't do me any good if i did. my problem lies in that people want to legislate morality based on their religious beliefs. as soon as i hear the words "moral" and "compass" together, i know that i'm dealing with a person who feels that what they believe is the only right way, and that even if you don't believe what they do, you should behave like they do.

and FP, you are out of your element discussing satanism. it is not the worship of your gods most beloved fallen angel, it is the worship of human nature. read up on it before you spout off about it. i mean, you want US to read YOUR literature so we can "make an informed decision", so why won't you read that?

• Members

Oh yes I do. I see his work everywhere. I see sickness and death. I see wars and human suffering. I see decieved people who choose death over life.

You're wrong my friend, I understand Satanism.

FP

No you dont understand satanism. Satanism isnt worship of Lucifer as you may see it. Satanism is about satisfying ones desires. If you want it take it, have it, do it. Satanism is all about looking out for number 1 and fulfilling ones wants and materialistic needs.

Which is the exact opposite of the teachings of the Lord which are love one another and look out for one another and materialistic needs are unimoprtant. Basically the exact opposite of christianity

Archived