[META-THREAD] The Religion Thread: Discuss Here Please!

yer momma

• Members

I'd say I'm an athiest, because I am, but what it boils down to is not so much that I'm all "GOD IS A LIE." I mean, he is, but here's my deal:

I do not give a {censored}. Either God is actually all loving, and sees I didn't {censored} anything up too terribly, and I'm into heaven, because I'm not a bad guy.

Or, God plays with a bunch of rules that say I had to do X and be X and say X to earn his favor. {censored} that god, I want no part of it.

If god really all that is and will be, I don't figure it should depend on what I did on my sundays. If it did, then God isn't playing with a full deck, and doesn't really deserve praise. If I have to be in a special club or be damned, I'll be damned. Besides, someone who's omnipotent probably has better things to do than make arbitrary divisions of "heaven" and "hell" in terms of eternity.

So I don't really give a {censored} if God's up there or not. If he is, we'll square when I get there. Until then, {censored} God.

Pretty much exactly how I feel... And to take it a step further...

Ok, so lets say you do believe in God. Why must you believe in the Christian God, or the Muslim God? With all the different religions trying to explain "God," how arrogant do you have to be to think your God is the only true "God."

What Im saying here is, why not just accept the fact that you dont need the bible, you dont need a priest, and you dont need any of that material bull{censored} that some ancient retards wrote as a way to explain something that was so far beyond their comprehension.

Just believe in God. He's with you all the time. He's in the air, he's in the water, he's in the food you eat. He's everything.

He doesnt give a {censored} about the bible, he doesnt care about which Church you go to or how you worship, or even if you go to Church at all. Thats all man made bull{censored}.

He's God people, you think he cares about assinine stuff like that?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No flames or personal attacks please. Just state how you came to your decision, one way or the other.

Go to hell you nine post sucker. :idea:

Why would there be a god? We have minds of our own and make our own decisions. What would he/she/it do? Sit and watch drinking pale ale stuffing peanuts?

• Members

Hey remember when people used to say "God must exist because biology has so much order. I mean the eye, it is so complex. How could that happen without a God?"

Well, look where they are now. Darwin showed how perfectly natural phenomena could generate complexity over long periods of time.

Applying the same logic to cosmology is foolhardy when considering past experience.

If you say something needs a God because it is complex, you would need to say the same about God since he would be so incomprehensibly more complex.

Then by your logic, he would need a creator too just by the simple fact that he is complex.

thats not all my logic. and your logic is flawed anyway.

besides i didnt say that evolution wasn't real....

• Members
In the off chance there is a god, I'm thinking an infinitely intelligent and powerful being wouldn't be needy and mean-spirited enough to torture me for eternity for not kissing his ass my entire life, enough of that Pascal's wager nonsense
:idea:

personally i beleive just that. (that you will go to heaven)
my issue is: does that include child molesters & murderers?
so another conumdrum, eh?

• Members
In the off chance there is a god, I'm thinking an infinitely intelligent and powerful being wouldn't be needy and mean-spirited enough to torture me for eternity for not kissing his ass my entire life, enough of that Pascal's wager nonsense
:idea:

the other thought is:
perhapse these "rules" he laid down for us are for a reason. thats where the "free will" come in:poke:

• Members

If time was created in the big bang and there may have been no before that, the same thing could be said of matter.

The fact that matter cannot be created or destroyed is a law we encountered in the Universe once it has come to be so obviously matter can in some way be created (if that's even the right word), just not when being confined by the laws of our Universe.

• Members

Religion? C'mon! They were constructs to explain the unexplainable. Sure they have socialization effects on large groups of people and give them a sort of identity. This had a profound affect on past history and still persists today. But in this day in age to believe in God/gods means you're no better than some dude dancing in a grass skirt around some flaming pot in the jungle (picture Bugs Bunny cartoon native here...). Afterlife? Maybe. Nobody who has had a total cessation of brain activity has been brought back to tell us about it. I think religion is mostly for people who think too highly of homo sapiens. Using it to explain things we don't understand? There are things man doesn't understand yet or possibly can't. Dogs are relatively smart but they don't understand the brake system in your car.

• Members
Yes, because faith is both irrational and illogical.

Actually, you can measure faith with logic, but if the result isn't what you wanted to hear, it must be the fault of the instrument.
:rolleyes:

This is what we call being "in denial"

Most people WANT to believe in God, people like to PRETEND that their lives have a higher calling, meaning, value, ect, and hold to the selfish belief that they are getting a reward when they die for being a good little boy. Carrot on the end of a stick.

People just have a real hard time accepting that they are all alone, and that nobody listens to them pray except themselves, nobody hears them. . nobody cares, nobody is watching you, protecting you. Your on your own.

Instead of being dillusional about it, just own up to it and have the balls to realize that your flying solo. Its ok, its not that hard. Life doesn't change much at all when you let god go. You just feel quite liberated and relieved that you dont have to live a self-generated lie anymore.

LOL, Oh-kay.......:wave:

• Members

the other thought is:

perhapse these "rules" he laid down for us are for a reason. thats where the "free will" come in:poke:

Christians seem to ignore many parts of the Bible, in particular some of the more scary parts of the Old Testament, so can I really rely on it as a guide for God's rules?

I don't buy the free will thing. No one chooses the circumstances in which they are born, their genetics, and how their upbringing affects them. I'd argue that because of these things, no one ever makes a "free" choice in their life. If God wants to torture people for that, then he's not really "good" by the same morality he defines, so then all bets are off, who's to say he's not going to screw you over?

• Members
See, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. This guy begins with the FAITH ASSUMPTION that there is no god and that people are "are all alone, and that nobody listens to them pray except themselves, nobody hears them. . nobody cares, nobody is watching you, protecting you. Your on your own..." etc.

From that initial premise -- which he accepts ON FAITH -- he argues very reasonably and logically to a conclusion about what people ought to do.

Nice. Perfectly valid.

Except that he conveniently "forgets" to acknowledge that his conclusion is, ultimately, based on his own article of faith.
:lol:

Thats an admission that I doubt he has the stones to make.... because after all, God odesnt exist; thats a fact:thu:

Archived