[META-THREAD] The Religion Thread: Discuss Here Please!

yer momma

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Then please explain how to measure the following things EMPIRICALLY:

love

hope

integrity

justice

poetry

duty

loyalty

scorn

hate

despair

tEh br:freak::freak:talNESSZZZZ

Oh ffs, you do realise your regurgitating the most oft repeated and oft debunked cliche arguments for your position? it's like saying "prove to me I love my wife".

PUHLLEEEAAASE...

love

An emotional response consisting of chemical reactions. A product of natural selection that persuades us to breed and care for our offspring. That doesn't however, make it any less awesome.

hope

AN emotional response again consisting of chemical reactions. Clearly favoured by natural selection as it means we wont just curl up and die (increased the chance of passing on genes).

integrity

Subjective opinion of a person consisting of emotional responses based on

the actions of said person.

justice

Subjective opinion of events based on the assumption that morality has an objective value. Reprehension of damaging individuals to social groups would clearly be favoured by natural selection as it improves the condition of the group as a whole by discouraging damaging behaviour, resulting in a better chance of passing on genes.

poetry

Art form and extension of linguistic expression. Used to create emotional response and convey meaning. Can be empirically observed BY READING A {censored}ING POETRY BOOK YOU MEATFLAP.

duty, loyalty

More emotional responses and behavioral states, see the others.

scorn hate despair

Negative emotional responses consisting of chemical reactions. Obvious advantage of aggressive behavior towards predators and can increase chances of survival. Can also be the result of the evolved characteristic rationality overriding more atavistic and primeval emotional responses to negate the biological imperative (particularly despair).

• Members
The "humans have a psychological need, and that 'explains' religion" thing just doesn't work. It's a convenient way to dismiss spiritual teachings, but that's all it is -- a cop out. IMVHO, of course.
:)

actually, it does. there is significant evidence to suggest that our brains are hard wired for religion.

allow me to expand on this before you erupt. when analyzing (via PET) the brain activities of individuals deep in what they refer to as a "spiritual" state, we see that common areas of the brain are active...which suggests that the experience that we call spirituality evolved with us.

so, armed with this information, i can safely say that god is in your head. i get those same (i think) experiences from time to time, but i get them looking at the stars, or surfing (which i haven't done in years). it's a feeling of calm and unity with your surroundings. additionally, it is quite conceivable to extract from this the idea that we are just explaining and experience that we don't understand by saying it's magic...or god, whichever you prefer.

also, on a side note...one cannot justify the irrationalities of religion without assuming a need for it. everything that we do, we do because we feel need to do so.

• Members
No they don't. Our understanding of the how and why is never complete, we're always learning more.

It's okay to say "we don't know everything yet.". Why does not believing in god require a complete and finished explanation? We don't have to know how we got here, exactly, to be here. I'm proof.
:)

that wasnt the question.
is there a god?
there must be because matter doesnt just appear.
has it to you?

left alone everything runs to disorder. explain the order in the universe?

• Members

I'd say I'm an athiest, because I am, but what it boils down to is not so much that I'm all "GOD IS A LIE." I mean, he is, but here's my deal:

I do not give a {censored}. Either God is actually all loving, and sees I didn't {censored} anything up too terribly, and I'm into heaven, because I'm not a bad guy.

Or, God plays with a bunch of rules that say I had to do X and be X and say X to earn his favor. {censored} that god, I want no part of it.

If god really all that is and will be, I don't figure it should depend on what I did on my sundays. If it did, then God isn't playing with a full deck, and doesn't really deserve praise. If I have to be in a special club or be damned, I'll be damned. Besides, someone who's omnipotent probably has better things to do than make arbitrary divisions of "heaven" and "hell" in terms of eternity.

So I don't really give a {censored} if God's up there or not. If he is, we'll square when I get there. Until then, {censored} God.

• Members

Satan is using the same tactics he used against Eve. Selfish pride. The first of God's laws is "You shall have no other gods before Me".

FP

it's always hilarious when people claim that yaweh is the only god they believe in...you actually believe you have a monotheistic religion? wrong. you have TWO gods...one "good" and one "evil".

don't forget, your omnipotent god created lucifer knowing that he would fall from grace, knowing that he would tempt eve in the garden of eden, and knowing that she would be seduced.

i scoff thusly.:poke:

• Members
that wasnt the question.

is there a god?

has it to you?

I already addressed this in the statement you quoted. :)

Why must I explain the order of the universe?

• Members

that wasnt the question.

is there a god?

has it to you?

Hey remember when people used to say "God must exist because biology has so much order. I mean the eye, it is so complex. How could that happen without a God?"

Well, look where they are now. Darwin showed how perfectly natural phenomena could generate complexity over long periods of time.

Applying the same logic to cosmology is foolhardy when considering past experience.

If you say something needs a God because it is complex, you would need to say the same about God since he would be so incomprehensibly more complex.

Then by your logic, he would need a creator too just by the simple fact that he is complex.

Archived