Worst amp tone you've ever heard

notcool

• Members

I really dig the Deftone's earlier sounds. They're very fizzy and vomity sounding, but they mesh well with their style at the time.

They had some GREAT songs. Root and 7 words and bored are fantastic songs...if they redid the album, i would be in bliss. I can see your argument...but I still think that if they had the tones from Around the Fur...i can't find a way to think that it wouldn't be a thousand times better in terms of overall sound

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You just lost all validity in this discussion.
:D

haha Cause I dont know the MArshall line of products??? I have ears, When I hear Rhoads and earlier Slayer, I hear a Marshall... ITs pretty simple...

Ive been around quite a bit, and the difference in Marshalls isnt night and day.. I have an 1983 JCM800 at our rehearsal space.. I can get the 800 to resemble Eddie(think1984), Rhoads and SLAYER. Sorry you trying to be elite by stating that is moronic..

THe biggest difference I see is RHoads using a MXR distortion... Passive vs. Active p'ups? Meh, IN the end a relatively minor difference in tone.

ITs funny you even mention Kerry King as bad tone, and you are in the "Marshall circle". And thats what their tone is... Pure Marshall....

• Members

They had some GREAT songs. Root and 7 words and bored are fantastic songs...if they redid the album, i would be in bliss. I can see your argument...but I still think that if they had the tones from Around the Fur...i can't find a way to think that it wouldn't be a thousand times better in terms of overall sound

I know what you mean, but I just didn't like how SC's tone got less and less distinctive with each successive release. By the time white pony rolled around, he sounded pretty much the same as every other drop tuned guitarist of the period. Luckily the songs made up for it.

• Members

There are a lot of players who have terrible tones but they fit the player and/or the band - Greg Ginn, East Bay Ray and Daniel Ash come to mind. I also think that if you look at the tones and available options of the time, Randy had some pretty bitchin tone. It's not like he could go get an Uberschall or an Engl.

Carlos Cavazo had some pretty {censored}ty tone, and I agree with both the "Black Metal as a genre" and "anything on Sub Pop" comments.

• Members
Randy's timing is sloppy, ESPECIALLY live... Even on record though, but whatver, maybe its intentional..

I dont consider him the WORST tone... I think BUSH does. hehe BUt Randy was mentioned and on the albums he did the tone wasnt all that.. I like Rhoads, but I really dont consider him even in the same league as say EVH.. And I know no one is comparing them, but I used Eddie as reference...

You are right I never saw Randy live. BUt Im 30 years old (not quite the youngin) and have seen numerous videos of him and wasnt at all blown away by it..

As do you.

Goddamn some of you newbs have the intellect of a 15 year old. Then again maybe you are. :lol:

• Members

i have an old script logo mxr disortion + that i bought way back in a pawn store for 20 bucks and when i used it as boost for my plexi..I nailed the crazy train tone..and yes it is buzzy......multi tracked and by using an old mxr eq, I was able to get a better fuller tone...and cut off some of that buzziness with the eq..but overall I think the tone killer is the pedal.....

• Members
ITs funny you even mention Kerry King as bad tone, and you are in the "Marshall circle". And thats what their tone is... Pure Marshall....

A lot of people play Marshall and sound nothing like that, and anyone can dial in a crappy tone on the best amp :idea:

perhaps you should go play a few other marshall models before you jump to wrong conclusions again.

• Members

I think those first couple singles 3 Days Grace released had freaking horrible tone. It sounded like a Recto, only LESS interesting and with any life it had in the first place sucked out of it. ugh.
the first Nickleback album has {censored}ing awful tone. It was a Tele with EMG's through a Recto, if i recall. {censored}ing awful.
Guess i'm not much of a Recto guy, huh?
Neil Young's tone is only matched by his god awful lead playing.
most all black metal has freaking terrible tone!
although Misfits are one of my favorite bands, some of their very early recordings, like the original one of "Where Eagles Dare", is some of the worst ever. It sounded like a distortion pedal plugged into a stereo. oh, the humanity!

• Members

And Randy's tone wasnt great either, but.... He was a sloppy rhythm player and his leads werent all that, but he is a GOD!!!!!!!

Really eh... Seeing that Randy was a primary influence on Dirtbag Darrell and Zakk Wylde, what does that make them? And if you think Randy's tone sucks, have a close listen to Darrell's "tone".

• Members

Neil Young's tone is only matched by his god awful lead playing.

All true, but it works for him and his music, and that never fails to amaze me. The total package just sounds so right. If I made some of the sounds he gets playing on my own I'd wonder what I did wrong. If I make those same sounds playing along to Cortez the Killer I'm a musical genius. Go figure.

• Members

I personally don't like Zakk Wylde's tone. I think that it sounds way too overprocessed to sound like a Les Paul into a Marshall. I also think that
Metallica's tone on "Kill Em' All" was horrible. I loved that album during high school, but whenever I hear it today, I cringe whenever I hear those ice picky rhythms.

• Members

The worst I've heard lately was a local group trying to be like Nirvana.

The guitarist was playing a Mexican Fender Strat into a Marshall AVT150H & AVT412, with the treble and presence dimed.

I've never heard such an ice-pickey clean tone in all my life, and when he kicked in his DS-1, I nearly threw up all over the place.

Archived