Worst amp tone you've ever heard

notcool

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the same thing about Bloodbath but then I grew to like the sludgy chainsaw tone they have.

I was just listening to Nightmares Made Flesh today, and the guitar tone is perfect for that old Grave-style Swedish death metal. Sounds horribly awesome. Their latest album has pretty slick production though.

• Members

Good for Zakk and Darrel.. There not my favorites either... Im glad you can make assumptions like that... You all like to pick up on a sentence or 2 and let loose. Its like grade school in here.. I thought KVR was dumb.. This easily takes the cake..

Hey, if you don't like it here, no one's forcing you to stay. You might want to join the tight asses over at The Gear Page. That sounds like it would be more your style.

• Members

I think Neil's tone is sweet for what he does. Cortez The Killer is one of my favorite guitar tracks ever.

The thing with Neil's tone is that it's hard on the ears, but works for his tunes. I couldn't imagine "Hey Hey, My My" or "Cinammon Girl" with a regular guitar tone.

• Members

1) Any time I go into a music store where there's lots of people, there's also lots of douchebags playing the same old {censored}ty riffs, and doing a bad job of it. To top it off they tend to have garbage tone. Always the middle-aged dude playing some cheesy "bluesy" riff on a Gibson through a non-Recto Mesa, the 12 year old dork playing some kind of pop punk {censored} through a practice amp, and then there's the guy playing endless annoying slap bass licks. All at the same time. Think Guitar Center.

2) I don't care what anyone says, every "metal" distortion pedal sounds like someone puked on a huge pile of dog{censored} no matter what amp you use it with. This means the Metal Zone and any other dumbass pedals of its kind aimed at 13 year old wankers. {censored}, I get pissed off any time I even see one of these pedals in a display case. They should be called "suck pedals"....the second you hit the switch, your sound is guaranteed to suck ass or your money back.

3) The Top Gun theme. Oh God.

• Members

1) Any time I go into a music store where there's lots of people, there's also lots of douchebags playing the same old {censored}ty riffs, and doing a bad job of it. To top it off they tend to have garbage tone. Always the middle-aged dude playing some cheesy "bluesy" riff on a Gibson through a non-Recto Mesa, the 12 year old dork playing some kind of pop punk {censored} through a practice amp, and then there's the guy playing endless annoying slap bass licks. All at the same time. Think Guitar Center.

2) I don't care what anyone says, every "metal" distortion pedal sounds like someone puked on a huge pile of dog{censored} no matter what amp you use it with. This means the Metal Zone and any other dumbass pedals of its kind aimed at 13 year old wankers. {censored}, I get pissed off any time I even see one of these pedals in a display case. They should be called "suck pedals"....the second you hit the switch, your sound is guaranteed to suck ass or your money back.

3) The Top Gun theme. Oh God.

+1 on all this.

The music store part is 100%. Over at the store I shop, most of the people who plug in an electric will butcher some metal stuff or attempt to play lead, all with a wall of distortion through either a Recto or a solid state Marshall. Can't remember the last time I heard an accomplished player plug in and play in a music store.

If you think the Metal Zone is bad, check out the DOD Death Metal box. Makes the Metal Zone sound like a singing lead tone compared to it.

• Members

+1 on all this.

The music store part is 100%. Over at the store I shop, most of the people who plug in an electric will butcher some metal stuff or attempt to play lead, all with a wall of distortion through either a Recto or a solid state Marshall. Can't remember the last time I heard an accomplished player plug in and play in a music store.

If you think the Metal Zone is bad, check out the DOD Death Metal box. Makes the Metal Zone sound like a singing lead tone compared to it.

Ugh...I don't know if I've ever heard the DOD Death Metal. I've heard the Danelectro Black Coffee though, and that was one of the worst days of my life. It probably could only have been worse if Richard Simmons had been the one playing the pedal.

As for the music store, let's not forget the typical "shredder"...like a complete 80's relic except not the good kind, and I even like the 80's. Ugly jeans, a beat up Anthrax shirt, ragged looking long hair...and some horribly generic superstrat plugged into either a JCM 800(uncranked, so naturally it'll sound terrible) or some garbage Line 6 Spider. If he's got the modeling amp going on, then he's also got every effect he can activate. Flanger, as much reverb as he can dump on it, maybe even a really short delay. The overuse of these effects plus the bad overall quality of each effect, through a bad amp, with a wanky player....is something which I can only express my disdain for through vomiting.

Oh yeah...and one more. I {censored}ing hate any guitar sound with a BBE sonic maximiser, or any kind of harmoniser or similar crap. No.

• Members

Ugh...I don't know if I've ever heard the DOD Death Metal. I've heard the Danelectro Black Coffee though, and that was one of the worst days of my life. It probably could only have been worse if Richard Simmons had been the one playing the pedal.

As for the music store, let's not forget the typical "shredder"...like a complete 80's relic except not the good kind, and I even like the 80's. Ugly jeans, a beat up Anthrax shirt, ragged looking long hair...and some horribly generic superstrat plugged into either a JCM 800(uncranked, so naturally it'll sound terrible) or some garbage Line 6 Spider. If he's got the modeling amp going on, then he's also got every effect he can activate. Flanger, as much reverb as he can dump on it, maybe even a really short delay. The overuse of these effects plus the bad overall quality of each effect, through a bad amp, with a wanky player....is something which I can only express my disdain for through vomiting.

Oh yeah...and one more. I {censored}ing hate any guitar sound with a BBE sonic maximiser, or any kind of harmoniser or similar crap. No.

I remember being in the shop one night and seeing a 15 year old kid plugging one of the weird ass Dimebag Darrell guitars into a Krankenstein into a Behringer cab. I bet you can imagine what that sounded like. The employees in the place were just wincing at what came out of the speakers.

• Members

I remember being in the shop one night and seeing a 15 year old kid plugging one of the weird ass Dimebag Darrell guitars into a Krankenstein into a Behringer cab. I bet you can imagine what that sounded like. The employees in the place were just wincing at what came out of the speakers.

Yikes. Remember when the first generation Line 6 Flextones came out? How everyone went ape{censored} for them even though they weren't all that? There was so much hype that some people were dumping their Mark IVs and whatnot for them. Man I have some bad memories of horrendous metal riffitude being repeatedly played on those things every time I went into a store that carried them and it left a permanent bad taste in my mouth regarding Line 6 amps. They have some cool pedals though(mainly the delays...)

• Members

Yikes. Remember when the first generation Line 6 Flextones came out? How everyone went ape{censored} for them even though they weren't all that? There was so much hype that some people were dumping their Mark IVs and whatnot for them. Man I have some bad memories of horrendous metal riffitude being repeatedly played on those things every time I went into a store that carried them and it left a permanent bad taste in my mouth regarding Line 6 amps. They have some cool pedals though(mainly the delays...)

I can't stand Line 6 amps myself. I don't care how much my friends at the shop try to sell me on them, they just sound fake to me.

• Members

i once went to a show where one of the guitarists was playing through a BV120, which sounded so bad that i actually had to leave the room for their set, because something about it was literally making me nauseous.

+1 Those things are {censored}ing nasty.

• Members

+1 Those things are {censored}ing
nasty.

I remember when I was amp shopping a few years ago. A salesman was plugging me into an amp at the store, and we passed some of those BV heads. I asked him what they sounded like, and he said "absolutely terrible".

• Members

that goddamn horrible rumbly farty burpy loose buzzy sloppy undefined mushy {censored} that's "rollin rollin rollin" out of Wes Borland's Recto in Limp Bizkit, as well as Munky & Head's Recto amps from Korn!

Rumble is NOT tone!

{censored} I HATE that {censored}! :mad: makes me wanna throw up....

• Members

i once went to a show where one of the guitarists was playing through a BV120, which sounded so bad that i actually had to leave the room for their set, because something about it was literally making me nauseous.

Oh god, the Blue Doodoo. I think there was a red one too, a Sammy Hagar signature amp. First it was "Red Voodoo", then "blue voodoo sammy hagar signature" or some crap like that. What a horrible sounding amp. Actually, original V series aside, pretty much every Crate product I've ever heard has sounded like a bag of ass.

• Members

Oh god, the Blue Doodoo. I think there was a red one too, a Sammy Hagar signature amp. First it was "Red Voodoo", then "blue voodoo sammy hagar signature" or some crap like that. What a horrible sounding amp. Actually, original V series aside, pretty much every Crate product I've ever heard has sounded like a bag of ass.

When I saw Hagar coming out with that amp, my first thought was "Man, he must be getting paid large for this". Why anyone would want to associate themselves with such a {censored}box is beyond me.

• Members
that goddamn horrible rumbly farty burpy loose buzzy sloppy undefined mushy {censored} that's "rollin rollin rollin" out of Wes Borland's Recto in Limp Bizkit, as well as Munky & Head's Recto amps from Korn!

Rumble is NOT tone!

{censored} I HATE that {censored}!
:mad:
makes me wanna throw up....

Dams Doood! thats the sound i love best!, i dont like it unless my sound is like a hangover that wont end, i was never even into korn and certainly not limp bizkit, but my 7 stays in a perpetual state of ADGCFAD, perfect for mind numbing ''Rumble''!:thu::wave:

Archived