Worst amp tone you've ever heard

notcool

• Members

some of my favorite tones: Randy, Dimebag, Greg Ginn (dan armstrong > super distortion > Peavey PA amp = :love:).
when I came to this forum and read people badmouthing Randy's tone, I almost cried myself to sleep!
and the best part is that I ended up finding the best deal EVER for a plexi clone, even though most of my favorite tones sound like SS ice picks to the forehead.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
For me, the worst amp tone I've ever heard is the rhythm guitar track on the studio version of Ozzy Osbourne's 'Crazy Train'. It sounds like Randy Rhoads is playing through some cheapass little practice combo turned up full blast with a distortion box hooked up to it. It's gotta be the fizziest and most lifeless tone I've ever heard
:mad:

I've checked a few web pages outlining his gear setup, and they all claim that he played through Marshall stacks. But years ago someone told me he played through a little Roland Cube amp cranked full blast and with a distortion box on some of the early recordings. It's a crappy sound nonetheless.

The best sound Rhoads ever got is on a live EP release of 'Mr Crowley', 'You Said It All' and 'Suicide Solution'. He is definitely playing through the Marshalls on that recording. It's a real fat tone with lots of middle, just like a Marshall stack sounds when it's cranked real loud.
:)

Assuming you mean worst professionally recorded sound on a major studio album, I would have to say the dull, honky sound on Deep Purple's Machine Head. There's a reason you're supposed to use a pick to play an electric guitar. :mad:

• Members
As do you.

Goddamn some of you newbs have the intellect of a 15 year old. Then again maybe you are.
:lol:

As do I what?? Bad tone?? hahah Good..

And I love how big of losers some of you are about who's a "newb" and {censored} like that. You think Im new to teh internet... I love it when I see a guy who has 25,000 posts. Thats just ridiculous..... I wasnt even the first one too mention Rhoads.. For {censored}s sake.. But his sound doesnt stand the test of time... Maybe for 1982, it was "good", but when I hear it now, no thanks......

• Members

Really eh... Seeing that Randy was a primary influence on Dirtbag Darrell and Zakk Wylde, what does that make them? And if you think Randy's tone sucks, have a close listen to Darrell's "tone".

Good for Zakk and Darrel.. There not my favorites either... Im glad you can make assumptions like that... You all like to pick up on a sentence or 2 and let loose. Its like grade school in here.. I thought KVR was dumb.. This easily takes the cake..

• Members
As do I what?? Bad tone?? hahah Good..

And I love how big of losers some of you are about who's a "newb" and {censored} like that. You think Im new to teh internet... I love it when I see a guy who has 25,000 posts. Thats just ridiculous..... I wasnt even the first one too mention Rhoads.. For {censored}s sake.. But his sound doesnt stand the test of time... Maybe for 1982, it was "good", but when I hear it now, no thanks......

You're slow. But keep reaching. :thu:

• Members
Ulver.jpg

One of my favorite albums, but it's the most abrasive, {censored}ty guitar tone I've ever heard. It wouldn't be the same without it.

Exactly I dont even know that album. BUt "bad tone", can be perfect for an album/band.. Except for Bush, they just suck....:deadhorse:

Archived