If I like Mastodon what other Metal would I like?

vrm

• Members

i retract my previous statement lol

Hehe, Neurosis is dense, I can sortof understand why few people have heard of them compared to Mastodon. Mastodon has some of the best, yet also the most accessible riffs in metal. Even my dad likes Mastodon, and he's a bluegrass and country aficionado.

• Members

OK, Baroness is Awesome! Burnt by the Sun, pretty cool. I guess I like stuff a little more vintage and less Pantera-ish! thanks for Baroness tip tsjunamijesus!

Check out Cathedral, St. Vitus, The Obsessed/Place of Skulls/The Hidden Hand/pretty much anything Wino's had his hands on, Goatsnake, Trouble (Even though some of their stuff is a bit...Christian), The Sword...oh, I could go on and on...

• Members

Hehe, Neurosis is dense, I can sortof understand why few people have heard of them compared to Mastodon. Mastodon has some of the best, yet also the most accessible riffs in metal. Even my dad likes Mastodon, and he's a bluegrass and country aficionado.

Well this makes sense to me, Brent is heavily influenced by country and bluegrass (ex: banjo lick in Megalodon)

Blackwater, first time I saw Mastodon right before they released Remission they did 2 or 3 Thin Lizzy covers in their set, {censored}ing aweome :love:

• Members

Torche...one of the greatest bands to walk the face of the earth

I like Torche and their style a lot but there is one thing about them that really really gets on my nerves. Their vocals are so ridiculously horrible. On their albums, it sounds like he's not singing specific notes but just knows "ok the next note to sing should be higher than the one I have right now so I'll pick a random higher note" etc. That guy really needs to work on that, give in to using pitch correcting in post, or step back and add a new vocalist while he sticks to guitar only.

• Members

...to one his own. I love steve's vox. They are unique especially in the heavy music world. Any love for FLOOR?

[YOUTUBE]pYv3zoPVDVc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I will add some more to the pool

The mighty DoomRiders

[YOUTUBE]eT29hyKCZZY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

and of cours the best super group to walk the face of the earth..

Old Man Gloom

[YOUTUBE]VWLyoFsFfiU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Most of these bands are prog/instrumental and partly metal. I'm guessing you like MAstodon cause they're kinda all over the place and the following are similar in that regard.

Canvas Solaris, Destrophy, Lethargy ( members of Mastodon ), SiKtH, Pitbulls in the Nursery, Parkway Drive, Tool ( assuming you somehow haven't heard of them ), At War With Self, Blotted Science, Candiria, Disarmonia Mundi, Job for a Cowboy, Maximum Indifference and lastly, for something VERY DIFFERENT ... Winds

• Members

Also, check out the last two Amorphis albums, Eclipse and Silent Waters. Very atmospheric, a good amount of melody and cleaner vocals, and also a more organic sound, a great alternative to the scooped, post-Pantera thing.

+1 Silent Waters is an excellent album.

[YOUTUBE]tb2gjwq1WXg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well this makes sense to me, Brent is heavily influenced by country and bluegrass (ex: banjo lick in Megalodon)

Blackwater, first time I saw Mastodon right before they released Remission they did 2 or 3 Thin Lizzy covers in their set, {censored}ing aweome
:love:

Yeah, I suppose it does work, thanks for reminding me to show him that song. I remember listening to that album for the first time and grinning widely when that riff spiraled off into bluegrass-tinged madness.

The Melvins are another band that has been very influential for Mastodon and many modern metal bands. Their cover of "The Bit" is great, I'd {censored} my pants if I heard them rock that {censored} live!

Archived