What cd has teh best production

Say Ocean

• Members

Between the Buried and Me - Colors -> I love the way the songs meld together, break apart, and hell, it's just a perfect CD.

Year of No Light - Nord

Neurosis (everything since "Enemy of the Sun" - including side projects and noise projects)

Rosetta - Galilean Sattelites

Pink Floyd - Meddle

That's all I can think of ATM...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as hard rock records go, I'm rather fond of Soundgarden's Superunknown. That's a great mix in general, but the attention to detail on the vocals (room sounds, overloading the mic pre for distortion, etc.) really put it over the top, especially in a genre where the usual vocal treatment is just to slap a compressor and some 'verb or a delay on it.

Gov't Mule sounds consistantly fantastic in the studio, too. Very old-school- tracking drums/bass/most of the guitar live to tape with the band playing in the same room- with excellent results. That's the sound of a really good band with great tones playing together. I love the drum sounds on their albums. Great vocals as well.

• Members

Oh hell, I can't believe I forgot to add this to my list.

RightNowMove.jpg

Recorded and mixed on 100% vintage analog equipment to 2" master, then copied to digital, and believe me it shows. The tones, especially on the bass and drums just bloom and fill the room with chewy warm analog goodness. The cymbals and hi-hat are present and vibrant, but never harsh or splatty, and the sound just envelops the entire room on a good system (ala Martin Logan drivers, clean power, triamped (sub, back, and front).

• Members

Rush - Alot of albums...but i'll mention Moving Pictures because I always remember the sound of the song Limelight. Everything sounded perfect and the sounds on the guitar solo are cool as hell. Red Barchetta also sticks with me as a great sounding track...really just perfect for that sort of thing. I also like Hemispheres and Permanent Waves production-wise.

Queen - A Night At the Opera...speaks for itself. You can rock as hard as Bohemian Rhapsody, be as spacey and progressive as The Prophet and bring back the victrola-era with stuff like Seaside Rendezvous and make it all one great sounding, solid album, then you win at production.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny...This album has a thick, heavy and earthy sound to it that still sounds great. The Ripper also still sounds wicked as can be. Anytime I put this on I end up listening to the whole thing.

Also, Queensryche - Empire deserves a mention as it sounds fantastic, especially after the very harsh sound of Op: MC...even though the latter is a superior album.

• Members

Im gonna stick to newer stuff that Ive liked:

Acceptance - Phantoms (maybe its just the record as a whole being so good but I love it)

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

Thrice - Vheissu

Spill Canvas - No Really, Im Fine (mmm bad cat goodness)

Maylene and The Sons of Disaster - II (not crazy about the band but dig the guitar/drum sounds)

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin (crushing)

Foo Fighters - Pretty much everything

Underoath - They are all chasing Safety (DTGL maybe but better but this record just has raw energy and way better hooks)

Personally though, its more about the vibe you catch rather than the actual sounds. As long as things are not all mudded up its all about that "special something." This is where a lot of classic albums fall for me like your maiden, GNR or even some newer stuff like Elliot - False Cathedrals, that record is so good.

Archived