Classic

Boston - Boston
Rush - Moving Pictures
Yes - Close to the Edge
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Van Halen - Fair Warning

Modern Metal

Metallica - Metallica
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (Original Master, not the remixed garbage)
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Iced Earth - Horror Show

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

By far its RadioHead the bends.

Also Listen to Queen.

My favorite engineer is Steve Albini He gets a great big open sound.

Also Jimi Page was a great producer, the drum sound he gets is great.

A producer and an Engineer is two different things by the way.

and of course back in black

:wave:

• Members

I'm kinda surprised that Mastodon - Leviathan or Blood Mountain have not showed up here.

There is digital clipping all over the Blood Mountain record and it is pretty heavily compressed accross all bands.

Just listen to track 6 specifically some of the clipping.

• Members

There is digital clipping all over the Blood Mountain record and it is pretty heavily compressed accross all bands.

Just listen to track 6 specifically some of the clipping.

I remember when the album was leaked early there was horrible clipping ... but on the actual album it isn't all that bad, still compressed though.

As a side note, I LOVE Leviathan and it's one of my favorite modern metal albums ... but the production is pretty bad on that album. No instrument separation and the drum tone is pretty awful (especially the bass drum).

• Members

Dream Theater- Train of Thought/Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/Scenes From A Memory

Alter Bridge- Blackbird

James Labrie- Elements of Persuasion

Soilwork- Stabbing The Drama

+1 for Soilwork (last 3 albums) & dream theatre - scenes from a memory

adding:

Dream theatre - awake

In Flames - clayman / reroute to remains

ozzy - down to earth

audioslave - out of exile

aerosmith - jaded

robbie williams - intensive care

• Members

Add to Steeley Dan's "Aja" Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly", and I'm also partial to a few of King's X's earlier releases (Gretchen Goes.., Faith Hope Love, Dogman, etc.) and also dug the mixes on some of the middle period Suicidal T releases. And Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life".

• Members

Good production on:

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

2. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

3. Tool - Lateralus

4. Prodigy - Fat of the Land

5. Nirvana albums have pretty good production I think, as well as Dr. Dre albums.

6. A lot of stuff from the early 90's sounds great and has an ideal loudness level....IMO

• Members

Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is another one I like... Gavin Harrison's got a great sounding drum kit, which you can hear on any of their more recent albums too, but I think their guitar tone's gone downhill since then.

Y'know, I agree with you there. The guitar tone in general on Deadwing just seems "smaller" to me, and the high gain tones don't sound anywhere near as nice. I've heard Deadwing was all Pod XT for cleans and processed tones, and Marshalls for high gain, where In Absentia was all Bad Cat. The high gain tone on FOABP is loose and flubby without the girth that In Absentia had. FOABP has the best drum sound of the three, though. There's much more detail to the snare. And I love how punchy and clear their bass tone is throughout.

• Members

I like the old tool cd's productions. Although it isn't as high tech as todays stuff. It has more of a raw edge to it. I love that sound. most horrible production ive heard is lamb of gods as palaces burn. I love that album... great album. But I could have recorded that better at my home studio. Horrible recording.

Archived