What cd has teh best production

Say Ocean

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as metal goes, I'd give it Opeth's Blackwater Park... not necessarily because it sounds the best, but because of how well it goes with the atmosphere of the music. Ghost Reveries is also really good sounding, though I think it's a bit too clear and defined for Opeth.

Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is another one I like... Gavin Harrison's got a great sounding drum kit, which you can hear on any of their more recent albums too, but I think their guitar tone's gone downhill since then.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is a fantastic sounding record and it's my album of choice for testing audio gear.

• Members

I think this is a really lame question to propose, personally.

My definition of good production is a recording that best represents what the artist is trying to convey. Good production for one band isn't going to be good production for another band. It's all so terribly subjective...

However, ome of my favorite work has been done by Scott Solter on John Vanderslice's records, Jim Eno on Spoon's records, Chris Walla on Death Cab's records. Hell, even Mark Trombino's work on his two Jimmy Eat World records is phenomenal. Throw Jerry Finn's work on The Smoking Popes "Destination Failure" and Superdrag's "Head Trip in Every Key" too...

• Members

As far as super noisy stuff goes, Converge - No Heroes. It's ridiculous how much clearer and more natural it sounds than anything similar I could think of. I can find something to complain about with pretty much anything else like this, but not this CD. The guitar is double tracked, but it's not actually layered, just one amp on each side, and with a decent amount of room sound, so it still sounds real, like a big echo, and is actually extremely similar to how they sound live.

For outright metal, Conducting From The Grave - Trials of The Forsaken. The guitars are super clear and present, with NO MULTI-TRACKING OR BEE FACTORIES ZOMG. The bass drum is also very high in the mix, but isn't a super slappy/clicky retarded, fake sound, and somehow fits in very well without sticking out in an irritating way.

For not crazy, more straight up rock stuff, Minus The Bear - Planet of Ice. It's pretty busy stuff, but you can distinguish the bazillion different parts pretty easily when it gets going. It's very open and real sounding, and very close to how they sound live. No multi-tracked guitars or other super produced nonsense, just actual sounds that can actually be reproduced live.

Archived