HD-DVD is dead

blargh

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i'll admit.. true HD 1080p really isn't that significant right now, you can see the best results with a 1080p HDTV that is bigger than 42inches.

i own a samsung 26inch LCD.. and the difference is rather minute. but still a noticable one compared to stand definition DVDs. but then my tv is only 720p

• Members
That's the best part. So consumers are going to go, "Oh, so the cheaper one is going away, but the more expensive one is staying, I guess I'll buy it...

NOT. I'll just use this $100 upconverting DVD player so I can watch all the movies I already own on my HDTV, thank you very much."

This {censored} is retarded. It astounds me that anyone cares to back any of it. HELLO HI I AM PRO-WALLET RAPE. That's all I see when I am reading posts of someone supporting it.
:freak:

You're saying this in an amp forum, where $400 is considered cheap? :freak:

Watching movies on DVD at this point is like listening to music on a car stereo or an iPod. Seeing movies and TV shows in 1080p quality is worth the $250 I paid for my bluray/HDDVD combo drive plus whatever I'm paying monthly for my netflix rentals...

• Members
Someone breaking into our house and stealing our Beta Max and all our cassettes was the best thing that ever happened to our family. If not my dad would still be searching for Beta tapes and using that archaic device! He still cries about it from time to time, he still has and uses his 4 and 8 tracks. I took one out of his garage as a joke, to put in my cubicle for sh*ts and giggles, he questioned me taking it, said it was still good, and said "NO! You may not borrow my Soul Classics Greatest hits my son. You must go buy your own!". I laughed in his face!

:mad:

Yeah, Betamax was the superior technology, but VHS won.

I'm glad the superior technology won in this situation.

• Members
You're saying this in an amp forum, where $400 is considered cheap?

Watching movies on DVD at this point is like listening to music on a car stereo or an iPod. Seeing movies and TV shows in 1080p quality is worth the $250 I paid for my bluray/HDDVD combo drive plus whatever I'm paying monthly for my netflix rentals...

$400 is a LOT to me. :D The most I've ever paid for a single piece of gear was fairly recently about $750 for my '78 JMP. :D

I can get a free HD sat ird if I wanted to pay for an HD tv, but the stuff I watch is fine just like playing PS2 games is fine. Once I'm into a show I'm into it whether it's on HD or not. At work I get to see football games, UFC, etc., on HD and come home to finish watching it on a regular beat up old TV with standard def. satellite and don't notice enough of a detraction to bother me. It'd be different if lines were all over the screen, though. But I'll be getting regular DVD's until they force me to pay more for something else. :D

• Members
looks like this stupid format war is practically over... and the better format won for once
:eek:
Netflix and Best Buy went with Blu-Ray a few days ago...

and now Wal-Mart is going Blu-Ray exclusive too. I think HDDVD is pretty well {censored}ed at this point.

no {censored}, old news, its apparent one is better than the other

• Members

Blu ray has...
1. regional coding
2. a roll out specification
3. expensive players

I think I'll stick with DVD, and so will most.

HD optical disc will just be for the few and PS3 owners, meaning there will never be the choice of movies out there to bother ..and its' the movies that are the important bit..
Do not get confused HD is really just the latest gadget to most owners, the real movie fans will buy, if they have projectors (like moi) but most wont bother whats so different about say Ratafukintooey :freak: in high def anyway..apart from to brag to your PS3 buddies about the size of your fukin disc :freak:

• Members
That's the best part. So consumers are going to go, "Oh, so the cheaper one is going away, but the more expensive one is staying, I guess I'll buy it...

NOT. I'll just use this $100 upconverting DVD player so I can watch all the movies I already own on my HDTV, thank you very much."

This {censored} is retarded. It astounds me that anyone cares to back any of it. HELLO HI I AM PRO-WALLET RAPE. That's all I see when I am reading posts of someone supporting it.

+10000

The price point on an unfinished spec (blu) is ridiculous.....capacity and bit rate were the only bragging rights Blu had, prior to the studios aligning. Side by side in 1080p, you could not tell the difference between the 2. Toshiba did not have to win this war, while Sony did, as the PS3 was a bustout gaming console. Either way, HiDef movies will go the way of SACD....a niche product that will never become mainstream. Joe Sixpack is not going to replace his entire dvd collection for his new tv, when he can spend $100 on an upconverter player.

• Members
OK for all the people saying 360 has the better games, lets hear what awesome stuff is coming out for your box of pwnage..........go!!!!

(crickets chirping)

Have fun with your gimpbox.

what does your $500 doorstop have? Oh yeah, Snake, crawling around in stealth mode, with a robot buddy. Sounds AMAZING! :rolleyes::bor:

• Members

OK for all the people saying 360 has the better games, lets hear what awesome stuff is coming out for your box of pwnage..........go!!!!

(crickets chirping)

Have fun with your gimpbox.

I have both gimpboxes :poke:

never bought a single game for the sony gimpbox, its just for films.

they are just games consoles both will be obsolete one day.

• Members

I have both gimpboxes :poke:

never bought a single game for the sony gimpbox, its just for films.

they are just games consoles both will be obsolete one day.

Wow really. Youre telling me you actually have a PS3 and havent bought Uncharted. Makes no sense dude.

Archived