HD-DVD is dead

blargh

• Members

looks like this stupid format war is practically over... and the better format won for once :eek:

Netflix and Best Buy went with Blu-Ray a few days ago...

and now Wal-Mart is going Blu-Ray exclusive too. I think HDDVD is pretty well {censored}ed at this point.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone breaking into our house and stealing our Beta Max and all our cassettes was the best thing that ever happened to our family. If not my dad would still be searching for Beta tapes and using that archaic device! He still cries about it from time to time, he still has and uses his 4 and 8 tracks. I took one out of his garage as a joke, to put in my cubicle for sh*ts and giggles, he questioned me taking it, said it was still good, and said "NO! You may not borrow my Soul Classics Greatest hits my son. You must go buy your own!". I laughed in his face!

:mad:

• Members

all the peeps that bought the XBOX360 instead of the PS3 just because of the HD vs blu-ray thing are {censored}ED.

people bought the 360 for its games...people bought a ps3 for its blue ray...

sony isnt doing to good in its department of games.

• Members

Actually, HD DVD was/is just as good as Blue but with less DVM crap thrown in. What made good was that it was a completed spec. BluRay is still up in the air and early adopters might get hosed when spec 2.0 comes out. HD DVD's storage was also up to 51 gb.

As soon as BluRay players come down in price to a reasonable level I'll go buy one.

• Members

Actually, HD DVD was/is just as good as Blue but with less DVM crap thrown in. What made good was that it was a completed spec. BluRay is still up in the air and early adopters might get hosed when spec 2.0 comes out. HD DVD's storage was also up to 51 gb.

As soon as BluRay players come down in price to a reasonable level I'll go buy one.

URGAY :evil:

• Members

20 gigabytes is a pretty big difference. The 51 gb thing was with a brand new spec, that would have almost certainly hosed people who already bought HDDVD players. Both formats have HDCP which is the really annoying DRM thing, the extra blu-ray copy protection is already cracked and pretty irrelevant to the average consumer anyway. The blu-ray 2.0 thing is pretty stupid, but I doubt it'll affect early adopters in any significant way; they'll still be able to play the video, just not access the online-only extras.

• Members

Someone breaking into our house and stealing our Beta Max and all our cassettes was the best thing that ever happened to our family. If not my dad would still be searching for Beta tapes and using that archaic device! He still cries about it from time to time, he still has and uses his 4 and 8 tracks. I took one out of his garage as a joke, to put in my cubicle for sh*ts and giggles, he questioned me taking it, said it was still good, and said "NO! You may not borrow my Soul Classics Greatest hits my son. You must go buy your own!". I laughed in his face!

:mad:

hAhaaaa , I lived 4 and 8 trak , christ , I can only hope you were adopted.....:cop:

:D

• Members

people bought the 360 for its games...people bought a ps3 for its blue ray...

sony isnt doing to good in its department of games.

too true.

i know a lot of people with 360s and not a single one of them bought it because it was HD-DVD. i know a lot of people with ps3s, too, and every single one of them bought it for the blue ray (and yes, that is every single one of each of them, i can't name a single person i know who bought a 360 for HD or ps3 for games)

• Members

Blu Ray is a joke as much as HDDVD. Have they even decided on a firm profile yet? HDDVD had that since the start.

Whichever format wins, WE ALL LOSE and anyone who doesn't see that is {censored}ed in more ways than one.

Holographic storage is around the corner and is working on 300-500gb PER DISC.

(http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/storage/0,239029473,240059342,00.htm)

Sony is once again being a greedy bitch after Betamax, Minidisc, all that ROOTKIT {censored} (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) not to mention UMDs...

They're forever trying to cram ANOTHER proprietary software medium down our throats so they can line their pockets. Wooo let's support that!!! :D:D

• Members

Heh, I kinda knew that was gonnna happen when it began.. .. or hoped!

saaaad uninformed soul :(

the main point is THEY BOTH SUCK MASSIVE ASSCRUSTS as a new home theatre movie format. They're a pathetic attempt at the industry getting us to rebuy a {censored} ton of movies we already own and to push HDTVs into the market place faster

Archived