I've never played a fender twin.

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So twins are only good for country cleans?

nah-- i've heard them in rock bands, and they sound phenomenal, i know a lotta blues guys who dig them for LOUD stratty tones, i've played with a bunch of punk bands who used em cause with all that headroom, they can do a great crunchy clatter, new wave bands use 'em cause they've got a great 'clank'.. they're fantastic for surf music, cause they've got endless reverb..

hell man.. people use 'em for about anything they're monumentally loud, and don't sound at all solid statey.. just big and clean, and surpisingly bassy too at times.

• Members

I don't think of Twins as super clean at all.

I can;t compare them to the Super....but to me they have a rich, deep tone. With a LP/humbucker, you might find it ordinary. But hook up a sc strat or tele and the tone is literally in your fingers. You can make the strings sing, twang, bark...whatever you want.

Best hting I like is the way it takes pedals. I had a Boss Turbo OD in mine at one time...sweet. Using the Tonelab SE now, and it takes it like it's own preamp. Everything from mild fuzz to modded Marshall blast sounds and feels fairly authentic.

I've approached it a bit differently than most of you. I created a "clean" platform. NO matter what else I have, I have this very reliable (tonewise) and easy to work with base. Now I pick and choose what kind of overdrive or lead I want. Sometimes it's something like a TS-9. Other times it's the molten metal of a Rocktron Voodu Valve.

We all know our taste and maybe even style change, sometimes often sometimes over a matter of years. But change they do. All I have to do is swap out a pedal or preamp. I've had my '64 Twin 'verb for over 20 years now, with various pedals and preamps it has served me very well.

• Members

So twins are only good for country cleans?

they're good for anything clean. CLEAN cleans. not breaking up blues stuff (though you could do it with pedals)....

think david gilmour. super clean (minus all the effects).

country, prog rock, spacey indie & post-rock stuff, jazz, etc. anything that uses a lot of cleans.

• Members

they're good for anything clean. CLEAN cleans. not breaking up blues stuff (though you could do it with pedals)....

think david gilmour. super clean (minus all the effects).

country, prog rock, spacey indie & post-rock stuff, jazz, etc. anything that uses a lot of cleans.

So what you're saying is that it's good at cleans?

• Members

Ted Nugent and SRV used twins. SRV used a twin for more of the clean sound and the Super reverb for the gain side of things.

Regarding what your missing almost all the Fenders (blackface and silverface) possess the same basic sound what changes is the speakers setup and how powerful they are, the basic sonic character will be similar.

I've owned, a Deluxe, Twin, Super, Vibrolux, Fender Bassman LTD and a Vibro King, so I have some history with these amps.

• Members

an old ampeg v summit-nother combo?

while i think the old ampegs can accomplish a lot of what a twin can, they sound very different IMO

the twin has a scooped mid section and a very smokey sound (edit: assuming it's a blackface or modeled after the blackface)

the ampegs have plenty of mids in there, which HUGELY changes the character of the amp (again IMO)

• Members

while i think the old ampegs can accomplish a lot of what a twin can, they sound very different IMO

the twin has a scooped mid section and a very smokey sound (edit: assuming it's a blackface or modeled after the blackface)

the ampegs have plenty of mids in there, which HUGELY changes the character of the amp (again IMO)

that was pretty much rhetorical.. TWINS sound like twins! i know of an old traynor.. think it's a YGV something.. older one-- sounds remotely twinesque.. but not really like a twin..

i dunno.. as they say, often copied, never bettered?

• Members
that was pretty much rhetorical.. TWINS sound like twins! i know of an old traynor.. think it's a YGV something.. older one-- sounds remotely twinesque.. but not really like a twin..

i dunno.. as they say, often copied, never bettered?

I have an Old Traynor YGL-3a Mark III that, traynor advertised as a "twin on steroids".
I think it sounds really good......certainly very clean on CH. I with single coils. BUT haven't never played a twin I cannot make a comparison.:lol:

Archived