"Just buy a Spider Valve and be done with it..."

guitarbilly74

• Members

Honestly, does it matter? He either a) really likes it as much/better than your rig, good for him I guess... or b) is trying to convince himself that that's the case even though he knows its bs. If you're happy with your stuff, don't worry about what others think about it. Unless you're in the band with the guy and he sounds like {censored}, in which case that's an actual issue.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its kind of like when people on here post pictures of their "beautiful/hot/etc." wives/girlfriends when they actually look fairly plain or horselike at best the majority of the time (surprise!!!!). Is it really necessary to call someone out about something that they're happy with? I don't think so, personally ;):lol:

• Members
Honestly, does it matter? He either a) really likes it as much/better than your rig, good for him I guess... or b) is trying to convince himself that that's the case even though he knows its bs. If you're happy with your stuff, don't worry about what others think about it. Unless you're in the band with the guy and he sounds like {censored}, in which case that's an actual issue.

ok fair enough.. but I bet that if someone showed up with a tricked out squier and started saying that it's JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER than your '63 strat because it has noiseless pickups and locking tuners, you would feel exactly the same way I felt :D

I wasn't pissed off at the guy or anything.. I was just like... WTF??

It's kinda like I'm telling someone I'm having trouble with a supermodel girlfriend's bad temper and the guy offers to hook me up with a fatso who's a total sweetheart!!!

• Members
ok fair enough.. but I bet that if someone showed up with a tricked out squier and started saying that it's JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER than your '63 strat because it has noiseless pickups and locking tuners, you would feel exactly the same way I felt
:D

I wasn't pissed off at the guy or anything.. I was just like... WTF??

It's kinda like I'm telling someone I'm having trouble with a supermodel girlfriend's bad temper and the guy offers to hook me up with a fatso who's a total sweetheart!!!

Sure I would kinda think he's a noob, but honestly people like different things. Guys that are used to ibanez shredder type guitars are not likely to be impressed by an old strat for the kind of stuff those guys typically wanna play. You asked how would we respond in your OP. Well, I would honestly just be like "that's great, man." I've had people tell me they think I sound better through my Fender Super Champ than my bogner, and that my tele sounds best out of all my guitars. My point is, no one is really wrong as far as their opinion is concerned. For example, I honestly don't know that I would flat out prefer your mkIII over the SV even though its a *better* amp than the SV. I'm just not much of a mesa guy, personally. Likely I would choose the mkIII but I haven't played a spider valve yet... you never know. See what I mean?

• Members
that's what baffles me... the guy is not a noob he has been playing for almost as long as I have and he is quite an accomplished player actually.

But he has become a different person ever since he bought he Spider Valve..

The other day he played my 1986 black dot Mark III and said "wow, the blue crunch channel (or whatever color it is) of the SV sounds exactly like this amp"

errr.. no it doesn't
:confused:

yeah, you gotta love that. I know someone just like that. It seems no matter what he's playing through, it is the best thing ever.

When I read your first post I though, it sounds like he's reading the promo add.

• Members
Its kind of like when people on here post pictures of their "beautiful/hot/etc." wives/girlfriends when they actually look fairly plain or horselike at best the majority of the time (surprise!!!!). Is it really necessary to call someone out about something that they're happy with? I don't think so, personally
;):lol:

While I can appreciate your point of view morally, this IS "amps" and not the Horsie faced wives forum.

• Members

Tell him that if he looked at the preamp's actual circuit design he'd realize it doesn't have a genuine tube preamp at all and then punch him in the shoulder.

yup, phase inverter, and a tube channel swithcing buffer, i think

• Members

Lotta nerve for them to claim it's a "Real tube amp," though the information is available all their ads and press releases make it sound like you're getting a whole tube amp with a DSP in parallel, when the real case is that you've got a solid state preamp, a DSP, some minor tube components, and a tube power amp.

Not the worst sounding configuration in the world by any means, but very disengenuous!

• Members

frankly I don't have anything against the amp. I actually think it's decent for what it is and great for what he does (play covers in a bar band).

My problem is wit the guy trying out my Mark III or my '77 Twin or other high-end gear and saying that the SV is better than all of them combined .. hmmmm no it isn't.

I believe that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, BUT that doesn't mean they're right, it's just means their entitled to be dead wrong.

• Members

Yeah, sometimes all you can do is blow it off and be glad that your ears aren't broken :)

My question is, what is it that inspires someone to insist their budget amp (which, by the way, really isn't a bad sounding amp given its versatility, etc., but let's call it like it is) walks all over a high end professional-quality amp.

I love my Rondomusic.com Agile guitars. They're excellent, cheap workhorse instruments that stack up well with other Korean gear, and the company has a great return policy that more or less ensures that you'll be satisfied one way or another. But I'm not going to try to pretend that a $300 guitar, even retrofitted with higher end components, is the equal of a custom shop American instrument. It's a matter of perspective, and a lack of it in the folks who will defend their choices against all evidence...

• Members

I believe that everybody is entitled to their own opinion BUT that doesn't mean they're right, it's just means their entitled to be dead wrong.

More people should realize this. Just cos' you believe in or have an opinion on something doesn't automatically make it right.

• Members

The spider valve is a good amp. I will always say that. But does it compare to a mark III? NO!

Shoot it's not as good as my JVM which is widely panned around here....

The spider valve does great for practice with bands and gigs in hole in the wall bars where if my stuff gets broken I won't be completely heart broken.

It serves it's purpose, before the spider valve, it was a squier combo :poke:

• Members
... is what a friend of mine told me today when I mentioned I was having noise problems hooking up all my effects to my 2-amp set-up.

He then added "It gives you a world class
Bogner
tone along with
the best effects in the market
, plus it's quiet and easy to set up"

how would you respond to that??

But it's not quiet? :cop:

The couple I've played have been hissing piles of {censored}. I didn't care for it, but YMMV.

• Members
I HATE people like this. They rag on your expensive gear because they're (a) jealous of it, (b) have no ears or (c) want to "prove a point" that their cheap {censored} can sound as good/better as your *insert expensive amp here* (i.e. combination of a and b).

A guy I know does this with his B-52 ATA100. He scoops teh midz and sound like a can of bees, but insists that his amp sounds better than my Mark IV and my Tremoverb
:lol::mad:

This seems to be an ailment with a lot of SV and B-52 owners, for some reason. Like they have something to prove because they got a tube amp (or pseudo tube amp) for cheap?

Honestly this is the only forum I've ever seen praise heaped upon the SV. Every other place I visit on the 'net dumps on it, even after many people actually owning the thing and not judging it off of a Youtube clip or 5 minutes at GC.

• Members
This seems to be an ailment with a lot of SV and B-52 owners, for some reason. Like they have something to prove because they got a tube amp (or pseudo tube amp) for cheap?

Don't forget Bugera's while you're ripping on everybody's "pseudo tube amp" and acting like some elite amp snob. :thu:

• Members

it is a good amp ..depending on who is using it and thier needs..

It also sets the bar for others to follow ,and sooner or later they will get it perfected .will it be a 3000 Bogner ..never .

will it offer a load of flexibility ..yes.

They like any tube amp need to be cranked ..

Many people who have great ears really dig them for what they are .

the 2 ive tried were pretty damn quiet next to a 5150 .

The effects other than the delay ..pretty much suck.

but keep in mind they took a 250 spider interface , when they put a 700 dollar flex interface you dont think it may improve a bit?

• Members

Don't try to throw the "People with great ears really dig them for what they are" nonsense. There is no appeal to authority that can be made to try to win over converts, whether it be a phoned-in basic Bogner power amp and two preamp tubes that aren't an actual tube preamp, or the out-of-nowhere made-up golden ears who are supporting the Spider Valve in your post.

It will live or die on its own merits, which honestly are not completely lacking - but it isn't helpful, and it is extremely disengenuous, to pretend that the real experts choose Spider Valve.

Archived