"Just buy a Spider Valve and be done with it..."

guitarbilly74

• Members

it is a good amp ..depending on who is using it and thier needs..

It also sets the bar for others to follow ,and sooner or later they will get it perfected .will it be a 3000 Bogner ..never .

will it offer a load of flexibility ..yes.

They like any tube amp need to be cranked ..

Many people who have great ears really dig them for what they are .

the 2 ive tried were pretty damn quiet next to a 5150 .

The effects other than the delay ..pretty much suck.

but keep in mind they took a 250 spider interface , when they put a 700 dollar flex interface you dont think it may improve a bit?

Yes, I don't have any problems with the amp. Or with Line 6.

I think they're a great company and make some very useful products. A POD is absolutely great for late night home recording sessions, demos etc.. the spider valve is awesome for someone who plays in a bar band, wedding band

My problem is when people just start to make comparisons that don't make any sense at all, like they have to put down anybody who is willing (or able) to afford better things just so they can feel better about it.

"A hard kick in the nuts" is still the best suggestion so far.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Many people who have great ears really dig them for what they are .

I believe a great musician can get a good tone out of anything. However, ironically enough, most great musicians I know also happen to have great gear. Gee I wonder why??? I guess it called being serious about your craft.

• Members

or the out-of-nowhere made-up golden ears who are supporting the Spider Valve in your post.

Do you even know who i'm refering too .

It real simple people who I think have great tones .Well I tend to value their opinions .

the bottom line is for the people that say .they dont dig it ,fine.

but some of the people saying its crap .fuzzy, unfocused .probably couldn.t dial in a Vox or a Bogner any better

• Members

but some of the people saying its crap .fuzzy, unfocused .probably couldn.t dial in a Vox or a Bogner any better

Well, give a noob a Bogner XTC and a Spidevalve and chances are, he won't be able to dial in either amp well but I'd still go out on a limb and say that the XTC will sound better

• Members

Well, give a noob a Bogner XTC and a Spidevalve and chances are, he won't be able to dial in either amp well but I'd still go out on a limb and say that the XTC will sound better

...At 3000 . i'm hoping so

• Members

or the out-of-nowhere made-up golden ears who are supporting the Spider Valve in your post

Do you even know who i'm refering too .

It real simple people who I think have great tones .Well I tend to value their opinions .

You're entirely welcome to put your trust wherever you want to, but it's not going to justify the "me and THIS army" posturing when trying to talk up a product. If you want to start naming names, then that'll give people a chance to evaluate their portfolio and figure out if they think the supposed "good ears" are worth their salt; in any case, just saying "a lot of people with great ears think these are good" isn't going to win the argument (even logically - it's a classic, textbook appeal to authority, with no indication even of whose authority, just a vague "people with great ears"). And let's face it, Line6 is pulling the same tactic, telling everyone it's a Bogner tube amp when it's not really a genuine tube amp at all, and any amp designer could have put together a simple power amp section as the amp has. Bogner sold his name to the project, and I imagine it made him plenty of money, more power to him.

If you'll read my other posts on the subject, you'll notice that I'm actually pretty impressed with the Spider Valve amps, although I think the marketing is very misleading in trying to claim that it is a true tube amp wedded to the modeling engine, when in fact it's a tube power amp and two 12AX7s not in any sort of preamp configuration, just "there" as a phase inverter and some other non-preamp function.

If I were going to buy a Spider Valve, I'd get the head, because a closed back cab really opens up the potential of the distortion tones that they're capable of producing. It's also the only entry-level modeling amp I've heard that doesn't completely go to hell when you crank it.

I look forward to seeing the Vox Black Diamond, their answer to the Spider Valve series... Though the Vox BD is advertising its high-efficiency, stereo digital power section rather than hooking the preamp up to a tube power amp. I wonder how it'll behave? The older blue tolex modelers sounded great, in my opinion, and this is their replacement for those professionally-targeted amps (let's face it, like the lower end Spider IIIs with which they compete, the black and silver Voxes are toys for the bedroom or the garage, though capable enough for their target market).

Archived