What amps rely on power tube saturation to sound good and which don't?

Drew5887

• Members

I get the impression that Mesa style amps and others that rely more on preamp gain don't need to be cranked while older Marshall style amps do. Is this correct? Do all tube amps sound better when pushed hard?

• Members

Generally, more "modern" sounding amps rely more on preamp gain: Mesa, Engl, 5150s.

More "Vintage" sounding amps rely more on power tube saturation: Fender, Bad Cat, Marshall.

As far as what sounds "better", that's up to the user. ALL tube amps sound better loud. If you push a modern amp too hard, they can turn to mush, but that point is at an absolutely STUPID level of volume.

• Members

Non master volume amps. Old Marshalls and such.

Most of the newer "High Gain" Amps don't rely on it...but still sound better cranked up.
:rawk:

I pretty much agree with this.

My Mark IV relies mostly on preamp gain. The power tubes do add something when turned up though.

My Tremolux is a NVM amp that relies on preamp tube saturation for gain.

• Members

When I see people with 150 watt triple rectifiers and several 4x12 cabs it seems like they have no chance of reaching power section saturation. My tiny blues jr gets way too loud for me to crank up in my townhouse.

Would a hotplate be an asset to a mark series boogie?

• Members

Actually, I am downsizing specifically to amps that have adjustable power tube and pre-amp tube distortion.

I love the tone generated from overdriven power tubes, with just a touch of pre amp distortion.

Duesentrieb and Diezel are building me just such an amp at this time.

• Members

I get the impression that Mesa style amps and others that rely more on preamp gain don't need to be cranked while older Marshall style amps do. Is this correct? Do all tube amps sound better when pushed hard?

Wrong. Mesa amps rely more on hype and product endorsements than either preamp OR power amp saturation.

• Members

^This.

Mesas definatly sound WAY better cranked. The famous "Recto" tone comes from the power amp.

:freak:

they may sound better up a bit, but just about all mesas revolve around preamp overdrive. once the power tubes start to breakup in a mesa, they start to get muddy (with just about any other pre-amp gain amp where the power section is meant to be clean).

• Members

in a modern high gainer, I don't like power tube distortion. I like to get em loud enough where they start to breathe and sound like it's supposed to. But anything vintage, plexis, JMP's, vintage fenders all sound better with some power tubes cooking

• Members

in a modern high gainer, I don't like power tube distortion. I like to get em loud enough where they start to breathe and sound like it's supposed to. But anything vintage, plexis, JMP's, vintage fenders all sound better with some power tubes cooking

exactly.

:cool:

• Members

Wrong. Mesa amps rely more on hype and product endorsements than either preamp OR power amp saturation.

Wrong.

Mesa/Boogie's Rectifier Series amplifiers rely more on hype and product endorsements than either preamp OR power amp saturation. :poke:

• Members

So basically what I'm hearing from most people is that in general the distortion tones that you most associate with high gainers is from the preamp, and the overdrive tones that you associate with more vintage amps comes from the power section (or phase inverter).

If I were to use both at the same time, would it make sense to use an attenuator on the vintage amp, but not on the modern amp, as master volume is significantly less important?

• Members

Define "good" first.

Good:

Punchy, smooth, warm yet crisp, midrangey, and with tons of clarity. Also looking for both a twangy attack, and a pretty decent palm mute. My dream is to be able to play dissonant chords and voicings with alot of sustain and chunk, but be able to pick out every single note. Imagine AC/DC rhythm guitar, but a just a little bit hotter, tighter, clearer and more immediate.

If that makes any sense....

• Members

What a lot of you don't understand is that the power tubes in most amps really don't break up much at all. What most people think is power tube distortion is really phase inverter overdrive combined with speaker overdrive.

well... i think yer right in a lot of instances-- but it also depends a lot on the tubes and the circuit..

if you're using a quad of 6l6es.. that's gonna be a pretty tall order to overdrive.. but if you're using a pair of 6v6es or el84's? not so much.. i've got about 30 watts worth of speaker in my 15 ish watts amp.. so i dunno how close i'm getting to getting cones a-flappin-- but i AM sure the PI's hitting the wall cranked clean, as well as the tubes... but y' make a good point that there's more afoot than just the pre or the power tubes!

Archived