If I wanted to "upgrade" from my 5150 II, which amp do I want?

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Ok, I'm not getting rid of my 5150 II. I still love playing through this amp.

But, I would like to get a higher end three channel amp just for the hell of it. Unfortunately in my ultra rural area I do not get to try high end amps in person. Many of you guys have experience with these amps so I'll pick your brains.

I like the type of tone I get with my 5150 II. And I prefer to stick with some aspects of that tone.

* Tight low end- I do not like a giant, boomy, loose low end. That was the thing I did not like about the Recto I had. I like a thick, tight low end that tracks quickly and moves air.

* Mids that cut- I've found that I prefer amps that have their mids centered in the higher range. They just cut so much better and stay tighter at higher volumes. What I'm looking for is not quite as high as my 5150 II, but definitely higher than a Recto or Uber.

* Pre-amp saturation- I prefer a saturated pre-amp tone like the 5150 series has. I would prefer to turn the gain down because the amp has too much rather than turn it up to get enough. That said, I don't want a buzzy tone. This is where the higher end amps are better IMO.

* I also prefer to have seperate EQ stacks for each channel, 100 watt output power, no reverb and a decent serial f/x loop. And it should be loud enough to run with my 5150 II if I get a wild hair.

Price range new or used would be between $2,000 and $3,000 give or take.

Suggestions?

• Members

Boosted Recto. You'll love it

No, I won't. Already had one. Do not like the over done low end or the lower mids voicing. And a boosted Recto isn't even as tight as my 5150 II. There is no Boogie amp that I want in the least bit.

• Members

OMG guys, read my whole post. I'm not looking to replace my 5150 II. I love that amp and I'm very happy with it. I just want to add a "high end" three channel amp to my rig. I don't have an issue getting good tone out of my 5150 II. It's good to go.

When I get my workers comp settlement I want to get a really nice three channel amp. I've been cutting all the fat out of my rig and just keeping the good stuff. I have my Juggernaut and LP Custom silverburst for guitars. And I want an equally high end amp.

Right now the only good suggestions so far are the Cobra and the Herbert. They fit what I'm looking for. A three channel amp that isn't a Recto or my 5150 II (which is a two channel amp).

The last I heard Cobras were spontainiously catching fire and killing people. Did they get this issue fixed when they went to the revised model?

I just spent the last hour researching the Herbert. Seriously, is there anything out there that can beat this beast in a bad ass contest?

Archived