If I wanted to "upgrade" from my 5150 II, which amp do I want?

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

I just spent the last hour researching the Herbert. Seriously, is there anything out there that can beat this beast in a bad ass contest?

I'll save you some time and a bunch of money...

No... there isn't. I'm sure you'll dig the Herbert.

:D

PS: Sorry to hear about some of the personal issues you've gone thru lately... you've always come across on here and on the ESP boards as cool guy. Hope you enjoy the amp.

:thu:

• Members

I'll save you some time and a bunch of money...

No... there isn't. I'm sure you'll dig the Herbert.

:D

PS: Sorry to hear about some of the personal issues you've gone thru lately... you've always come across on here and on the ESP boards as cool guy. Hope you enjoy the amp.

:thu:

Thanks yo. As you can see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Things are tough right now but I do have a big payoff coming later.

Who know when it will come, but I can take my mind off the present by thinking about the future.

I've always wanted to get one of "those" amps. The ones that are understood to be the best. The upper crust. I just never had a chance and was always pretty happy with what I could afford.

The Herbert sounds like a killer amp. Almost every little feature that I want, and some added insanity for a little spice. Jeez, I couldn't imagine how powerfull it is with 160 tube watts of output. My 5150 II is painfully loud at 120 watts.

Who on the forums owns a Herbert? I would love to talk to a few guys who own one now. See how they've chosen to set up the power amp tubes and what kind of system they use to switch channels.

• Members

i vote framus cobra/dragon boosted. both are 3 channels, loud as hell, compliments the 5150 great, thick and not OVERly saturated, great tone, not fizzy, moves a ton of air, very very versatile (especially the dragon). it is most definatly an upgrade to the 5150, but still not a replacement

• Members

The Diezel Herbert is my all time favorite amp. That and my XTC are the only amps I'll never sell. I will say that when I first read read your post, I thought ENGL savage. I didn't really like that amp though. The ENGL SE is a great choice which you can get at a decent price if you buy used.

• Members

The Diezel Herbert is my all time favorite amp. That and my XTC are the only amps I'll never sell. I will say that when I first read read your post, I thought ENGL savage. I didn't really like that amp though. The ENGL SE is a great choice which you can get at a decent price if you buy used.

Matt, tell me about how you are switching your Herbert. They don't come with a footswitch and require some type of midi board, right? That is something totally new to me. I know nothing about setting up a system like that. Or what the best board would be.

PM me your # so I can give you a call sometime and get some feedback from you.

• Members

No, I won't. Already had one. Do not like the over done low end or the lower mids voicing. And a boosted Recto isn't even as tight as my 5150 II. There is no Boogie amp that I want in the least bit.

You're absolutely right about the fact that a boosted Recto is not close to being as tight as a 5150II.

But you're wrong about Boogie amps in general, because you forgot about the Mark series Mesa/Boogies.

Get something like the MarkIII or MarkIV, their in-built EQ can be used to boost the higher mids for the cutting tone you want, without being overbearing. Plus they're tighter than a gnat's arse!

You'll get that aggressive sharp crunch without the fuzz or buzz. :thu:

Either that or get an Engl :cool: .

Or BOTH! :love:

• Members

Thanks yo. As you can see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Things are tough right now but I do have a big payoff coming later.

Who on the forums owns a Herbert? I would love to talk to a few guys who own one now. See how they've chosen to set up the power amp tubes and what kind of system they use to switch channels.

I've got one... I've owned mine for 4 years and it's a killer amp. I like SED 6L6GC power tubes and the stock Chinese preamp tubes. SED EL34s is what the Herbert currently comes stock with. I've owned a bunch of other high gain channel switching amps, but in 4 years, nothing has dethroned Herbie.

For channel switching I use the Randall RF4 midi footswitch. It comes with a 7-pin midi cable and is phantom powered by the Herbert. It only gives you 4 different programs since it only has 4 switches... but at $80 it's well built and works great. MF sells them on their site.

• Members

I've got one... I've owned mine for 4 years and it's a killer amp. I like SED 6L6GC power tubes and the stock Chinese preamp tubes. SED EL34s is what the Herbert currently comes stock with. I've owned a bunch of other high gain channel switching amps, but in 4 years, nothing has dethroned Herbie.

For channel switching I use the Randall RF4 midi footswitch. It comes with a 7-pin midi cable and is phantom powered by the Herbert. It only gives you 4 different programs since it only has 4 switches... but at $80 it's well built and works great. MF sells them on their site.

So what are you using for your effects setup? Of course right now I'm using pedals through the serial loop of my 5150 II. And into the front input, depending on what effect it is. How picky are the Herbert's f/x loop(s)? What's the best way to go there?

• Members

So what are you using for your effects setup? Of course right now I'm using pedals through the serial loop of my 5150 II. And into the front input, depending on what effect it is. How picky are the Herbert's f/x loop(s)? What's the best way to go there?

Mostly pedals... Eventide Timefactor & Modfactor, with a few od pedals for different flavors. Both of the Eventide pedals can be set to line level which sounds best with the Herbert. You can use either rack units or pedals and the Herbert will sound great with either... the Herbert has both a serial and parallel fx loop.

• Members

Mostly pedals... Eventide Timefactor & Modfactor, with a few od pedals for different flavors. Both of the Eventide pedals can be set to line level which sounds best with the Herbert. You can use either rack units or pedals and the Herbert will sound great with either... the Herbert has both a serial and parallel fx loop.

Fantastic, I really would prefer to stay pedal based. I use effects sparingly and want to keep things simple to the point of throwing a rock through a window. In other words keep it caveman.

I'm hoping I can find a Herbert in Nashville to try out or even borrow. I really need to get one in my place to give it a personal workout.

What cabs are generally considered good with the Herbert? The only cab I have now is the over-sized Recto and I know it doesn't match well with everything.

• Members

Fantastic, I really would prefer to stay pedal based. I use effects sparingly and want to keep things simple to the point of throwing a rock through a window. In other words keep it caveman.

I'm hoping I can find a Herbert in Nashville to try out or even borrow. I really need to get one in my place to give it a personal workout.

What cabs are generally considered good with the Herbert? The only cab I have now is the over-sized Recto and I know it doesn't match well with everything.

The OS Recto should sound pretty good with the Herbie... my favorite cab is the Diezel 4X12 frontloaded with V30s... the frontloaded design keeps the bass and lowend very tight and focused. Also the Diezel FL 4X12 is a smaller frame size than a regular 4X12. The OS Recto 4X12 might sound a little to loose and muddy at extreme bass settings... because a little bass goes a long way with the Herbert.

• Members

Matt, tell me about how you are switching your Herbert. They don't come with a footswitch and require some type of midi board, right? That is something totally new to me. I know nothing about setting up a system like that. Or what the best board would be.

PM me your # so I can give you a call sometime and get some feedback from you.

PM'd you Eric

• Members

I use the Eventide pedals too. If used other pedals and the Rocktron Xpression and the G-Sharp. All sound good through the loop.

Cabs. I have the diezel rear-loaded with v30s and the Ubercab. I actually prefer the ubercab with my Herbert, but the v30 cab sounds really good too.

• Members

The OS Recto should sound pretty good with the Herbie... my favorite cab is the Diezel 4X12 frontloaded with V30s... the frontloaded design keeps the bass and lowend very tight and focused. Also the Diezel FL 4X12 is a smaller frame size than a regular 4X12. The OS Recto 4X12 might sound a little to loose and muddy at extreme bass settings... because a little bass goes a long way with the Herbert.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The OS Boogie cab matches great with my 5150 II but it has a really tight low end and tons of upper mids.

I was looking at the Diezel website and their descriptions of the different cabs. It sounded like the front loaded 4x12 is what I would be looking for.

• Members

engls look like what u need

or maybe a JVM

ive got the same tone taste, i like ultra tight low end, and amp that cuts well and lots of gain

those are the only two amps ive tried that would satisfy my tonal needs

have yet to try the VHT deliverance and splawns, but according to many of the users here u should consider those too

if there one amp id recommend for you right now id be the powerball

Archived