Replacing amps with computer based rigs.

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Members

Dude here by the nick Glenecho has gigged many times and loves it as I recall. He's an old pro and knows his tones so I reckon it can't be bad.

yeah...I'm gonna search for my thread on it though...I can't type it all out again...

but yeah I did a rig that was a Roland VGA-7, Ground Control Pro footswitch, a Thinkpad, a Roland guitar synth interface, and a PodXT and it worked out great. Complex as {censored} to put it together (thus the thread), but once it was together it was a breeze to hook up. And as I've said way too many times and still don't understand, I got way more compliments on that rig than I do my current Mark IV rig.

• Members

When gigging with a laptop, how do you change amp sounds? Midi controller?

Yep.

I used a program called Plogue Bidule to all my routing, switching, VST hosting, midi mapping for me. Very intuitive and cool piece of software. In terms of bringing practicality to using a laptop rig, I don't think there is a better way to go.

http://www.plogue.com/

This'll give you an idea for how it looks and to some people, will give an idea why I like it so much. You just drag and drop modules and connect them with virtual cables. There are quite a few people that use Bidule in a live setting, including some pros that you see on stage with laptops.

ReWireSet.png

• Members

I've tried Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube, but both have a delay between me picking a string and the sound coming out the speakers. I think it's because almost all sound cards have an input/output delay due to the signal having to be processed.

For a small-but-convenient-thing-with-heaps-of-sounds I'd probably go for a Pod.

• Members
I know it doesn't sound as good as a wall of tube amps, but its just so damn convenient having all those sounds in a laptop. All I do is just hope on the bus with my guit and my comp and I'm ready to gig.

Pretty damn sweet in my opinion
:idk:

You also hop on the bus with your 5000 watt PA system and mixer. That was the REAL deal breaker for me ever moving to a modeler rig. Unless you are playing some nicer and larger venues (which most of us aren't), then you have to trust the PA and soundman. In my experience, most house PA's suck, as do the soundmen. With a real amp behind you, you can usually make up for it. With a modeler rig, you have to totally trust the PA. Bad idea? In my experience, yes. If your band already hauls a nice PA around, then it may be a viable option. If not, then plan on investing in one if you go direct modeler.

• Members

I've tried Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube, but both have a delay between me picking a string and the sound coming out the speakers. I think it's because almost all sound cards have an input/output delay due to the signal having to be processed.

For a small-but-convenient-thing-with-heaps-of-sounds I'd probably go for a Pod.

See...this was never an issue with me. Even with just my low end ($100) audiophile 24/96 sound card, I only got 3ms of latency. There is no way the human ear can detect that.

• Members

you just have to go to a higher buffer speed.

• Members

Get a better sound card. My Guitar Rig latency is less than 1ms at 96000hz.

• Members

Yep.

I used a program called Plogue Bidule to all my routing, switching, VST hosting, midi mapping for me. Very intuitive and cool piece of software. In terms of bringing practicality to using a laptop rig, I don't think there is a better way to go.

This'll give you an idea for how it looks and to some people, will give an idea why I like it so much. You just drag and drop modules and connect them with virtual cables. There are quite a few people that use Bidule in a live setting, including some pros that you see on stage with laptops.

Thats pretty cool really. I dont play keyboards really, but have always dug messing around with midi stuff. I might check that out.

Do you use a personal monitor of some kind to give yourself some kind of volume control on stage?

• Members

Thats pretty cool really. I dont play keyboards really, but have always dug messing around with midi stuff. I might check that out.

Do you use a personal monitor of some kind to give yourself some kind of volume control on stage?

I used a Roland VGA-7. It (was) a stereo guitar modelling amp but it is full range like a keyboard amp. I probably should have just used a stereo keyboard amp but was too cheap to go out and buy one. But the VGA-7 worked great in that capacity. It also does a really fantastic Roland JC-120 or Polytone Minibrute sound which I used a little. But mostly, it functioned as you said...like a onstage monitor.

One thing to keep in mind is I used (and still occasionally use) the laptop rig because a couple of projects I was doing required me to do a lot of ambient guitar synth stuff as well as regular guitar. If all I was doing was standard guitar stuff I'm not sure I would have went through all the bother.

roland-vga-7.jpg

• Members

You also hop on the bus with your 5000 watt PA system and mixer. That was the REAL deal breaker for me ever moving to a modeler rig. Unless you are playing some nicer and larger venues (which most of us aren't), then you have to trust the PA and soundman. In my experience, most house PA's suck, as do the soundmen. With a real amp behind you, you can usually make up for it. With a modeler rig, you have to totally trust the PA. Bad idea? In my experience, yes. If your band already hauls a nice PA around, then it may be a viable option. If not, then plan on investing in one if you go direct modeler.

This.

I tried just bringing a modeler for a bit and I play on some really nice PA's too but the soundmen kept trying to improve my settings out front for me. I gave up.

• Members

I used a Roland VGA-7. It (was) a stereo guitar modelling amp but it is full range like a keyboard amp. I probably should have just used a stereo keyboard amp but was too cheap to go out and buy one. But the VGA-7 worked great in that capacity. It also does a really fantastic Roland JC-120 or Polytone Minibrute sound which I used a little. But mostly, it functioned as you said...like a onstage monitor.

One thing to keep in mind is I used (and still occasionally use) the laptop rig because a couple of projects I was doing required me to do a lot of ambient guitar synth stuff as well as regular guitar. If all I was doing was standard guitar stuff I'm not sure I would have went through all the bother.

Cool. I probably wouldnt bother for a regular band situation either, but for specific projects perhaps. Projects like this are just fun sometimes.

Archived