Hadron "Doomsday" Collider set to go this Wednesday, September 10th.

Chrisjd

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its nothing new, people dont get it, its not being fired up for the first time! They've been shooting this thing for years, all they have done is add a new type of detector into the ring.

Its VERY exciting. If it does what they think it will, it will lead to a cure for cancer, global warming and safe disposal of nuclear waste for a start. It will also open up the doors into Time Travel research. If we ever come up with a working time machine, wednesday will be the furthest back we will be able to travel if modern theories are correct.

This is the most exciting moment in science since the moon landing, and the beginning of the future of science :) all for same bargain price as 9 days in Iraq :)

• Members
Its nothing new, people dont get it, its not being fired up for the first time! They've been shooting this thing for years, all they have done is add a new type of detector into the ring.

Its VERY exciting. If it does what they think it will, it will lead to a cure for cancer, global warming and safe disposal of nuclear waste for a start. It will also open up the doors into Time Travel research. If we ever come up with a working time machine, wednesday will be the furthest back we will be able to travel if modern theories are correct.

This is the most exciting moment in science since the moon landing, and the beginning of the future of science
:)
all for same bargain price as 9 days in Iraq
:)

Yes, but that new detector is a pretty big thing it seems.

Ok, so I need to live until at least Wednesday.

Cure for cancer, how are they related?

• Members

Yes, but that new detector is a pretty big thing it seems.

Ok, so I need to live until at least Wednesday.

Cure for cancer, how are they related?

The research will give a new type of radioactice beam that does not affect healthy cells, just goes straight to the cancer and kills it straight off.

All modern forms of cancer treatment involve killing heathy cells as well, which is why the side affects are so bad.

and yeah the ATLAS detector is a big thing, interestingly it will record enough information every second to fill up 100,000 CD's.

• Members

they've done a couple test injections earlier this year, but they've yet to do a full run.

link to something with details about the cancer treatment thing? how would that work?

• Members

so on Wednesday when I am looking at a big massive swirling black tornado-esque hole in the sky I will make sure I log onto HCAF to ask wtf happened?

harmony central will be waiving the size and format limitations for attachments on wednesday so you could upload your mind bitmap for later restoral

• Members

That's not how it works...I think....I don't know....

I'm from the future bitch.

Leon Czolgosz, assassin of William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States, was electrocuted for his crime on October 29, 1901, at Auburn Prison in Auburn, New York. Among the personal effects found in his cell was a U.S. quarter stamped with the date 2218. The face in profile on said quarter was not George Washington, but rather a face which has yet to be identified.

True story apparently.

Anyway, dont be worried about black holes. The worst case scenario is that in 10 million years the stable black hole will weigh a tonne and just be sitting there.

Be worried about the possibilities of this thing creating an active strangelet.

Seriously, MUCH more worrying than a black hole.

• Members

What is an active stranglet.

If a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

This is not a concern for strangelets in cosmic rays because they are produced far from Earth and have had time to decay to their ground state, which is predicted by most models to be positively charged, so they are electrostatically repelled by nuclei, and would rarely merge with them. But high-energy collisions could produce negatively charged strangelet states which live long enough to interact with the nuclei of ordinary matter.

• Members

If a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

This is not a concern for strangelets in cosmic rays because they are produced far from Earth and have had time to decay to their ground state, which is predicted by most models to be positively charged, so they are electrostatically repelled by nuclei, and would rarely merge with them.
But high-energy collisions could produce negatively charged strangelet states which live long enough to interact with the nuclei of ordinary matter.

Have they calc'd the odds of this? Is it possible to figure odds on something like that?

Archived