Hadron "Doomsday" Collider set to go this Wednesday, September 10th.

Chrisjd

• Members

Leon Czolgosz, assassin of William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States, was electrocuted for his crime on October 29, 1901, at Auburn Prison in Auburn, New York. Among the personal effects found in his cell was a U.S. quarter stamped with the date 2218. The face in profile on said quarter was not George Washington, but rather a face which has yet to be identified.

True story apparently.

No.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

we wouldnt know, apparently (according to popular theories these days) until the instant time travel is discovered/created/etc

it is not that hard to travel to the future

you just have to be on any fast moving vehicle

take a plane for a few hours ang you will be a few billionths of a second younger than the rest of the humanity

• Members

I'm hoping that the Large Hadron Collider at CERN will help us verify the existence of the Higgs-Bozon field. THAT would be huuuuge for us, and go a long way to explaining why things have mass, etc. It'll open up a lot of doors in modern physics, and if some strings happen to be larger than planck length, we might even be able to detect them in the coming years.

I'm excited :)

• Members
Already another thread on this. I'll say the same thing here...the people who are scared are the ones who are completely uneducated about the topic.

I'm going to respond to this because I'm most likely one of those people that you are reffering to... although I didn't know a thing about this device until today and have not a clue about the scientific processes involved in operating this sumbitch... I do find the idea a little frightening and for good reason.

To comment on Marshredders post (and I don't mean to target you directly... you've simply given me some idea as to the objective of this device)...

To be able to dispose of nuclear waste... sounds like a great start... there's nothing wrong with getting rid of nuclear waste. But I have a problem with each and every other "pro" resulting from this scientific breakthrough.

but

A cure for cancer... sounds great but at what point does one come to grips with reality... the inevitable.. we are all going to die someday!!. What is the point of prolonging death? The world is facing poulation issues already... shouldn't we just let nature take its course? If you want to argue the other side of this, you might as well argue for eugenics. -> Who is this technology going to help... an elite population so removed from the reality of death that we stick our elderly in nursing homes and hospitals to escape the daunting facts of life?

Global warming... I'm not even going to argue with anyone who buys into this farce... it's a scientifically proven fact... the earth gets warmer then it gets colder... it's cyclical... kind of like the circle of life... rebirth and renewal. What we are experiencing right now... this thing we call global warming... it's happened before and yes, we are long overdue for an ice age... it will happen again. Sure we can manipulate our natural surroundings, but ultimately no one will ever have control over the bitch that is mother nature. All the {censored} people are talking about global warming... well, it's great for marketing all the environmentally friendly {censored} that people spend a fortune on because it's the latest addition to "sustainable" living, which is also {censored}ing farce! (coming back to the fact that the earth is overpopulated, resources are being exploited like never before and we want to save more people by exploiting more resources... makes a lot of sense, doesn't it). :rolleyes:

And time travel??? :facepalm: Someone please, at least for my amusement... please tell me how this is a good idea? What good will ever come of time travel?

I know this comes off very belligerent as I do sometimes, but I'm not meaning to be... I'm just shedding light on an extreme argument at the other end of the spectrum. So please, if you'd like to contest anything I have to say, do so but be argumentative and I'll do my best to reply with the same degree of respect.

• Members
I'm going to respond to this because I'm most likely one of
those people
that you are reffering to... although I didn't know a thing about this device until today and have not a clue about the scientific processes involved in operating this sumbitch... I do find the idea a little frightening and for good reason.

To comment on Marshredders post (and I don't mean to target you directly... you've simply given me some idea as to the objective of this device)...

To be able to dispose of nuclear waste... sounds like a great start... there's nothing wrong with getting rid of nuclear waste. But I have a problem with each and every other "pro" resulting from this scientific breakthrough.

but

A cure for cancer... sounds great but at what point does one come to grips with reality... the inevitable..
we are all going to die someday!!
. What is the point of prolonging death? The world is facing poulation issues already... shouldn't we just let nature take its course? If you want to argue the other side of this, you might as well argue for eugenics. -> Who is this technology going to help... an elite population so removed from the reality of death that we stick our elderly in nursing homes and hospitals to escape the daunting facts of life?

Global warming... I'm not even going to argue with anyone who buys into this farce... it's a scientifically proven fact... the earth gets warmer then it gets colder... it's cyclical... kind of like the circle of life... rebirth and renewal. What we are experiencing right now... this thing we call global warming... it's happened before and yes, we are long overdue for an ice age... it will happen again. Sure we can manipulate our natural surroundings, but ultimately no one will ever have control over the bitch that is mother nature. All the {censored} people are talking about global warming... well, it's great for marketing all the environmentally friendly {censored} that people spend a fortune on because it's the latest addition to "sustainable" living, which is also {censored}ing farce! (coming back to the fact that the earth is overpopulated, resources are being exploited like never before and we want to save more people by exploiting more resources... makes a lot of sense, doesn't it).
:rolleyes:

And time travel???
:facepalm:
Someone please, at least for my amusement... please tell me how this is a good idea? What good will ever come of time travel?

I know this comes off very belligerent as I do sometimes, but I'm not meaning to be... I'm just shedding light on an extreme argument at the other end of the spectrum. So please, if you'd like to contest anything I have to say, do so but be argumentative and I'll do my best to reply with the same degree of respect.

I see your point. But are you not in the slight fascinated by what makes up the universe, how it all works and fits together? This experiment will look into dark matter, the "god particle," alternative dimentions etc.

Is researching this fascinating subject not more worthwhile than spending it on a war? And if it DOES kill us all, is it not better to die trying to learn about the universe in which we live in, than in a nuclear war or similar?

• Members

And time travel???
:facepalm:
Someone please, at least for my amusement... please tell me how this is a good idea? What good will ever come of time travel?

Travelling huge cosmic distances without having to worry about everyone you love and know being long gone?

I highly doubt that it's possible to travel backwards, though.

• Members

If time travel was possible we'd already know about it.

But if time travel was possibly, techincally people would go about it trying NOT to let others know about it and thus influence the future or change the past etc?

I dont know the specifics, but yeah. Who knows, UFO sightings could be time machines or something?

• Members

But if time travel was possibly, techincally people would go about it trying NOT to let others know about it and thus influence the future or change the past etc?

I dont know the specifics, but yeah. Who knows, UFO sightings could be time machines or something?

Well maybe but i imagine we'll never know in our lifetime which kinda sucks to think about.

• Members

I see your point. But are you not in the slight fascinated by what makes up the universe, how it all works and fits together? This experiment will look into dark matter, the "god particle," alternative dimentions etc.

Is researching this fascinating subject not more worthwhile than spending it on a war? And if it DOES kill us all, is it not better to die trying to learn about the universe in which we live in, than in a nuclear war or similar?

I am fascinated by what makes up the universe and I think that is half of the reason I'm still here... I'd really like to believe there is something greater out there and I think that if you were to take the mystery out of life, it wouldn't really be worth living in the first place. The fact that we are willing to explore the "god particle" is what scares me most.

Without trying to sound like I have a little bit of the crazy, I'm a self-proclaimed psychonaut and believe me... when you isolate yourself from the world you know to explore the subconscious depths of your mind via whatever medium you chose, you begin to reshape the world with your own thoughts it can have a profound effect on the way you see things... it can be hard to manage and your asking for mental health issues... nonetheless, it has taught me that we only have the slightest clue of what is really out there. The world has been around for billions of years... {censored} we only landed on the moon in 1969 and here we are not even 40 years later and we're ready to explore the "god particle"... I think 'a little hasty' is a huge understatement.

So is the human race really ready to start exploring the "god particle?" If there is a divine being, do you really think it would be wise to go full steam ahead with something that we essentially know nothing about. Yes, it's fascinating but it's one of those things that is suppose to remain a mystery and I'm willing to bet that we as a human race will never even come close to fathoming such complexities of the natural world around us.

There is no denying that this is a very fascinating endeavor. But in the grand scheme of things it is extremely risky, a huge waste of resources, and the risk versus reward... what, someone will end up with a Nobel Prize perhaps... we could possibly disprove a supreme being (although I personally think that it is impossible) and cause moral panic... my point is, don't play with fire. IMHO it is a very selfish endeavor and one that could ultimately be the begining of something new or the beggining of an end.

...and I don't believe in war... but if their is a supreme being out there somewhere, this is waging war against her.

• Members

ca0347618a.jpg

• Members

I am fascinated by what makes up the universe and I think that is half of the reason I'm still here... I'd really like to believe there is something greater out there and I think that if you were to take the mystery out of life, it wouldn't really be worth living in the first place. The fact that we are willing to explore the "god particle" is what scares me most.

Without trying to sound like I have a little bit of the crazy, I'm a self-proclaimed
and believe me... when you isolate yourself from the world you know to explore the subconscious depths of your mind via whatever medium you chose, you begin to reshape the world with your own thoughts it can have a profound effect on the way you see things... it can be hard to manage and your asking for mental health issues... nonetheless, it has taught me that we only have the slightest clue of what is really out there. The world has been around for billions of years... {censored} we only landed on the moon in 1969 and here we are not even 40 years later and we're ready to explore the "god particle"... I think 'a little hasty' is a huge understatement.

So is the human race really ready to start exploring the "god particle?" If there is a divine being, do you really think it would be wise to go full steam ahead with something that we essentially know nothing about. Yes, it's fascinating but it's one of those things that is suppose to remain a mystery and I'm willing to bet that we as a human race will never even come close to fathoming such complexities of the natural world around us.

There is no denying that this is a very fascinating endeavor. But in the grand scheme of things it is extremely risky, a huge waste of resources, and the risk versus reward... what, someone will end up with a Nobel Prize perhaps... we could possibly disprove a supreme being (although I personally think that it is impossible) and cause moral panic... my point is, don't play with fire. IMHO it is a very selfish endeavor and one that could ultimately be the begining of something new or the beggining of an end.

...and I don't believe in war... but if their is a supreme being out there somewhere, this is waging war against her.

You're viewpoint on this all adds up to one thing...fear of the unknown, and furthermore, fear of the truth. We shouldn't be afraid to have our belief systems shattered. If you are afraid, then you are admitting that you are ok with living a lie. I am not. The TRUTH is what should be upheld above all, regardless of if it challenges what you once believed to be true.

I find it incredibly unusual, however, that a self proclaimed psychonaut would be afraid of letting go. Being a psychonaut is, after all, all about letting go.

• Members

PS - the "God Particle" - its just a name. It doesnt mean they expect to find God and chop a bit of him off to study.

Exactly. It's just the particle that "assigns" each particle it's mass. It's called the "god particle" because it has a godlike function...it is responsible, in a way, for everything being and behaving as it does today.

• Members
You're viewpoint on this all adds up to one thing...fear of the unknown, and furthermore, fear of the truth. We shouldn't be afraid to have our belief systems shattered. If you are afraid, then you are admitting that you are ok with living a lie. I am not. The TRUTH is what should be upheld above all, regardless of if it challenges what you once believed to be true.

I find it incredibly unusual, however, that a self proclaimed psychonaut would be afraid of letting go. Being a psychonaut is, after all, all about letting go.

Dude... if you think about it we are all living a lie... what the {censored} do we know other than what we have created in our minds, which so far holds up as "the truth" if you will. I don't fear the unknown and I live to seek truth. My whole deal is I don't think it's a good idea but who am I to {censored} on it... all I can offer is my opinion. Believe me, the idea of this whole thing going down excites me... but not in a good way. It's like... this could end up terribly wrong but it's going to be one hell of a ride :cool: let's go.

• Members

So, did anyone reading this thread travel back in time to get a good laugh? Actually, I just want reassurance that this isn't going to {censored} up celebrating my birthday later in the week. Can't they hold off on this {censored} until Saturday when I'll be hungover and therefore less likely to give a damn?

The nerve of some scientists. Hmpf.

Archived