Hadron "Doomsday" Collider set to go this Wednesday, September 10th.

Chrisjd

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The research will give a new type of radioactice beam that does not affect healthy cells, just goes straight to the cancer and kills it straight off.

All modern forms of cancer treatment involve killing heathy cells as well, which is why the side affects are so bad.

and yeah the ATLAS detector is a big thing, interestingly it will record enough information every second to fill up 100,000 CD's.

Dude, they should really consider Blu Ray. I mean, that's like 50GB dual layer, ya know? CD-R's are so yesterday. You'd think these scientists would know that. :D

• Members

You're viewpoint on this all adds up to one thing...fear of the unknown, and furthermore, fear of the truth. We shouldn't be afraid to have our belief systems shattered. If you are afraid, then you are admitting that you are ok with living a lie. I am not. The TRUTH is what should be upheld above all, regardless of if it challenges what you once believed to be true.

I find it incredibly unusual, however, that a self proclaimed psychonaut would be afraid of letting go. Being a psychonaut is, after all, all about letting go.

You sound like Fox Moulder talking.

• Members

If a strangelet comes in contact with a lump of ordinary matter such as Earth, it could convert the ordinary matter to strange matter. This "ice-nine" disaster scenario is as follows: one strangelet hits a nucleus, catalyzing its immediate conversion to strange matter. This liberates energy, producing a larger, more stable strangelet, which in turn hits another nucleus, catalyzing its conversion to strange matter. In the end, all the nuclei of all the atoms of Earth are converted, and Earth is reduced to a hot, large lump of strange matter.

This is not a concern for strangelets in cosmic rays because they are produced far from Earth and have had time to decay to their ground state, which is predicted by most models to be positively charged, so they are electrostatically repelled by nuclei, and would rarely merge with them.
But high-energy collisions could produce negatively charged strangelet states which live long enough to interact with the nuclei of ordinary matter.

Like Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut?

• Members

Oh hai guys

I travelled back in time from the weekend to drop a marker post in this thread.

After they fire this up there is a Timequake and we can all travel in time by spinning our right foot round and making a 6 in the air with our fingers. This is handy cos the world gets sucked into a black hole.

I was once saying to my mum how there could be time-travellers here just now. She told me not to be stupid cos time travel hadn't been invented yet. :facepalm:

• Members

Will it help folks grow more incredible strains of Marijuana?

If not, well then {censored} this stupid machine.

I'll give this the same answer the scientists have given every other question about the LHC:

"Let's turn it on and find out!"

My personal opinion on the LHC is that it could do any number of horrible things...or it could lead to the discovery of what makes everything tick. But it will not make me independently wealthy which means it fails on a very personal level.

I do find it interesting that it comes online with 2012 right around the corner. Maybe it sets off some chain reaction that will come full circle that year? Strangelets anyone?

• Members
oh jeez...hopefully this doesn't go on forever...it is the year the Mayan calendar comes to an end. Lots of people think that will be the end of the world.

conspiracy nuts FTW
:lol:

That doesn't exactly fall under the category of "conspiracy theories". The mayan calendar does end. No one knows why though. We call those "mysteries".

• Members
oh jeez...hopefully this doesn't go on forever...it is the year the Mayan calendar comes to an end. Lots of people think that will be the end of the world.

conspiracy nuts FTW

Its not the end of the Mayan calender though, its just the end of all of the mayan calenders current cycle's, at once. The Mayan calender has 4 main cycles ranging form like 100 years to 240,000ish, and this is the first time they all end on the same day.

What the Mayans actually said is this will be when Human live evolves into the 4th dimention. Look it up.

So maybe it will lead to time travel. Who the {censored} knows? LETS FIND OUT.

• Members
Its not the end of the Mayan calender though, its just the end of all of the mayan calenders current cycle's, at once. The Mayan calender has 4 main cycles ranging form like 100 years to 240,000ish, and this is the first time they all end on the same day.

What the Mayans actually said is this will be when Human live evolves into the 4th dimention. Look it up.

So maybe it will lead to time travel. Who the {censored} knows? LETS FIND OUT.

I fell asleep while watching a show on the history channel about it, so that's all i knew :lol: :lol:

but yes, let's find out - i'm not scared...it's nothing we can control anyway :wave::cool:

• Members
I do find it interesting that it comes online with 2012 right around the corner. Maybe it sets off some chain reaction that will come full circle that year? Strangelets anyone?

I :love: you for opening that can of worms... that's what I'm saying. But we still have yet to witness the predicted nuclear disaster for 2008... does it still count if it's on a sub-atomic level? :lol: It shouldn't be funny but it is because it makes a lot of sense and people brush it off as conspiracy theory... which it may indeed be just the same as this {censored} might go terribly worng... only time will tell.

Archived