how do Orange amps sound clean?

Electric Monk

• Members

I've posted a few threads asking "IS THIS AMP GOOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BUY" and guess what, I'm still one indecisive bastard. Yesterday I was dead-set on getting a Blues Deluxe, now I think I want a Tiny Terror and Avatar 1x12 cab again.

right now, the only thing affecting the decision is whether or not the Orange is loud enough for small gigs, and if it is, how good the clean tones are. If the cleans on the Orange are good I think I'll pretty much be set. I'd be using it to play (gasp) classic rock covers, I'm so cool. And you'll never guess, I'd be playing a lot of blues! Whatever that means. I'm not even sure any more.

• Members

IMO, the Orange Rockerverb amps have the worst clean tones out of any amp over $1000. Absolutely disgusting, I could care less if it's "natural" or not.

So, steer clear from those ones if you're looking for good cleans. Sounds like you'd love a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

• Members

Depends what you mean by "clean" but I wouldn't count on the tiny terror having much of a clean tone period at band volumes, nor is that really what its meant to do, IMO. You can roll back your volume for cleans, but its not gonna be that loud "clean," depends on the band's stage volume though. Deluxe Reverb would be a great choice for what you're describing though.

• Members

I'm not really concerned with having a totally clean sound at band levels - the only band I'm in that'd need cleans doesn't even have a drummer. yet.

if the cleans really are that horrendous on a higher-end Orange, I think I'll probably go with the Blues Deluxe. what's the difference between those and Hot Rod Deluxes, anyway? From what I've read, the overdrive sounds better on a Blues and they aren't expected to blow up after a half hour of playing.

As for getting a Deluxe Reverb - I have a $750-800 limit. If price wasn't an issue I'd get a Marshall halfstack and a Twin Reverb and be done with all this shopping nonsense.

• Members

I've posted a few threads asking "IS THIS AMP GOOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BUY" and guess what, I'm still one indecisive bastard. Yesterday I was dead-set on getting a Blues Deluxe, now I think I want a Tiny Terror and Avatar 1x12 cab again.

right now, the only thing affecting the decision is whether or not the Orange is loud enough for small gigs, and if it is, how good the clean tones are. If the cleans on the Orange are good I think I'll pretty much be set. I'd be using it to play (gasp) classic rock covers, I'm so cool. And you'll never guess, I'd be playing a lot of blues! Whatever that means. I'm not even sure any more.

I have an Orange Rocker 30 and in all honesty the clean is nothing to write home about. You will not get Blues Deluxe clean on an Orange amp. That being said the Orange dirty channel is second to none IMO. Since 90% of our materianl is dirty I am very happy with my Orange. If we started playing a bunch of clean stuff I would probably trade in the Orange for a Budda Superdrive 30, which has the best of both worlds.

• Members

I'm not really concerned with having a totally clean sound at band levels - the only band I'm in that'd need cleans doesn't even have a drummer. yet.

if the cleans really are that horrendous on a higher-end Orange, I think I'll probably go with the Blues Deluxe. what's the difference between those and Hot Rod Deluxes, anyway? From what I've read, the overdrive sounds better on a Blues and they aren't expected to blow up after a half hour of playing.

As for getting a Deluxe Reverb - I have a $750-800 limit. If price wasn't an issue I'd get a Marshall halfstack and a Twin Reverb and be done with all this shopping nonsense.

Well I wouldn't really call a tiny terror a "higher-end" orange, honestly. Not all oranges sound the same either...

The extra gain channel mode on the HRD is the main difference IIRC, but honestly I'm not a fan of either of those amps as far as Fender is concerned. The clean channels are ok, the gain channels... not so much :o. I'd look for a used deluxe reverb RI if it was me, but its not. Just my .02.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

IMO,
the Orange Rockerverb amps have the worst clean tones out of any amp over $1000. Absolutely disgusting, I could care less if it's "natural" or not.

So, steer clear from those ones if you're looking for good cleans. Sounds like you'd love a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Are you talking about the Rocker 30 or the whole Rockerverb line in general?

• Members

While I don't like the clean channel on my Rocker 30 (in fact, I used to almost dislike the whole amp because of it), now that I have accepted that the Rocker 30 is really a one channel amp, I get what I would consider great clean tone by turning down the volume on the guitar and playing into the dirty channel. :love: (or even setting up the dirty channel with low gain to give a clean tone)

• Members

IMO, the Orange Rockerverb amps have the worst clean tones out of any amp over $1000. Absolutely disgusting, I could care less if it's "natural" or not.

I would agree with this,...but I think describing it as "disgusting" is a bit much. It's just not good -- I owned an RV50 and that's one of the reasons I sold it.

• Members

TT is loud enough fort small gigs as long as you don't want (real) clean... very good semi-dirty sound IMO.

I've tried the Rocker30 and, like other have said, the clean channel wasn't really good: in fact it sounded very bland to me.

• Members

A tinyterror can't sound clean at loud volumes but it does excel at the classic rock tones:love: but if you can mic it you are able to get good cleans

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got an Orange Rockerverb 50 and a Deluxe Reverb reissue right now. If you set the Orange volume to be at the same volume as the Deluxe Reverb clean (before it starts breaking up) you still have a lot of headroom with the Orange. If you EQ the Orange properly the clean is every bit as good as the Fender at that volume. YMMV.

• Members

I had the AD30TC w/ the 2x12 cab. Cleans were dark and there wasn't much headroom. Overall, the amp wasn't loud enough. I was playing w/ a guy who had a Hot Rod Deville and that thing was crazy loud on 3. I played 2 gigs w/ that amp. Both smaller bars. The second gig was in a bigger place and the amps weren't mic'd. It BARELY kept up w/ the rest of the band.

I already had a Tremoverb so I sold the Orange and never looked back.

Archived