If you could only have 1 x HB in the bridge position

fretless

• Members

duncan jb or emg 85

the jb is my favorite bridge pickup, and if you're the type to use the volume control a lot it works well there

the 85 has a nice blend between smoothness and attack tho, and can be more versatile in some ways...it just doesn't work too well with the volume rolled off

This. ^^^

• Members

ain't those the 'high output' filtertrons? how so those sound in a solidbody?

Yup. More upper and lower than a bucker and less midrange. I can't point to anything specifically, but I know it's what Billy Gibbons is using these days. Personally, I love my tone and it blends well with out other guitarist, who uses a Seymour Duncan something or other...I run mine through a 80's Marshall with a compressor/sustainer pedal.

• Members

As of right now my choice would be Dimarzio MegaDrive. I'm a little surprised to hear that anyone would say EMG 81 or 85 if the only pickup in the guitar is the bridge. They have so little versatility. Before you go flaming me for saying that, I've been through 3 different EMG81's and 2 EMG85's in various guitars and positions. The only one I liked was the EMG 81 in the neck of an all mahogany guitar for one kind of tone. It was THE most vocal neck lead tone I've ever heard. Unfortunately that's all it was good for.

Archived