ESP vs Ibanez

Chrisjd

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Are you serious? The new Edge Pro's... I can believe that. But the original Edge and Lo Pro Edge are just as good as any OFR if not better.

Edit: As a side note - I'd love to own a real ESP. But they're a bit out of my price range and I still maintain that for the money a Japanese Ibanez usually cant be beat. The high end stuff from both companies holds its own, IMO, but it takes a hell of a lot more money to get a good ESP than it does to get a good Ibanez and so, IMO, Ibanez wins on the value side of things, but that depends entirely on how much your money is worth to you. If you can afford an ESP and you think tehy're better then that's great, but Ibanez hardly pumps out junk in their lines that are actually comparable to what you guys are using for your ESP standard for comparison.

I don't believe the guitar I showed you is an Edge ANYTHING. I believe it to be a liscenced Floyd copy. Again, I'm no Ibanez Trem expert.....

and a pathetic copy it is. Hell just not having the block allen screws come all the way out the back is massive failure. Everyone else made a fair liscenced copy at that time.....from (EXCELLENT!) Schaller to the (not as good as Schaller) Kahler on the ESP.

To be fair...did I not state that I paid more for my used ESP than I did for the used Ibby? I also said I would do it a hundred times more. It was less than twice as much, but I get 10 times that in playability and tone and fun factor. I'm not much a budget guitar kind of guy. I always vote "guitar" over "amp" in polls...because the guitar is what gets my blood sweat and tears. I need everything to work PERFECTLY on my guityar, but the amp doesn;t HAVE to be perfect. (For example, people ridicule me becuase I claim my strings don't break. Part of that is good technique, but the majoriy is a properly constructed and maintained guitar system.)

I felt the two guitars were comparable ENOUGH. The ESP costs me about $650. You gonna buck that? When most people here dump a thousand?, 2 thousand? and more into a the guitar AMP? Even our standard 5150 will cost ABOUT that, why not put the same effort into your guitar?

Now, having said that....I think where Ibanez TRULY excels in NEW cost vs quality is something like this (and I like this guitar very much):

blondie008.jpg

Headstock:

blondie009.jpg

• Members
no {censored}- the edge is a solid trem. - oh wait- i see 17 tubes posted that....that explains it
:lol:
i think i've read the edgeIII is the worst of the bunch- but i have no complaints about my 8 year old edge.

i'd like to try one of those new ZR's- i think they're supposed to keep tuning stability better for when you bend a string
:love:

the edge is a solid trem???

Oh wait.....

I see 9ball posted that, that explains it :lol:

Ever used a real OFR? How about the Jackson Schaller FR? Have you used the Kahler Floyd?

Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But I got a good handle on what a real Floyd is SUPPOSED to be...and I'm telling you the Ibanez that was on the RG-550 THAT I HAD....sucked balls. 9balls to be exact.

Not if you want to change my argument for me, and tell yourself in your head that I was talking about all the Edge's all along, then try to argue at me that they are really very good, carry on.

• Members
Really? I love their MIJ electrics, but their acoustics have always sounded like utter crap to me.

I don't really like superstrats, thin necks or Floyds. :idk: Just not my thing. So I'm not into a lot of what ESP makes either, but I get on with their more Gibson-flavored designs pretty well. As for Ibanez, I've played a few of their acoustics (and own one) that have delivered the goods compared directly to more expensive pieces. Just IMO.

• Members

Ever used a real OFR? How about the Jackson Schaller FR? Have you used the Kahler Floyd?

yes,and yes.i had a jackson soloist in the late eighties that had a kahler. it was ok-so what?

(but it's not a "kahler floyd" its just "kahler" - that's like calling a mustang a "ford chevy" lol)

i dont want to argue with you because it will be never ending. it seems in all your posts you're always arguing or giving some kind of ultimatum and its just kind of weird really dude. take a pill.

i dont know exactly which ibanez trem you had but i have an edge on mine (2000 RG520qs) and there isnt a damn thing wrong with it- you were bitching about the locking blocks being screwed in from the rear position byt he locking screws? so what? i have no issues with it and it holds tune and intonation just fine. :idk:

• Members
the edge is a solid trem???

Oh wait.....

I see 9ball posted that, that explains it
:lol:

Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But I got a good handle on what a real Floyd is SUPPOSED to be...and I'm telling you the Ibanez that was on the RG-550 THAT I HAD....sucked balls. 9balls to be exact.

Not if you want to change my argument for me, and tell yourself in your head that I was talking about all the Edge's all along, then try to argue at me that they are really very good, carry on.

WTF are you smoking? :confused: I don't know about the current Ibanez trems coz I haven't tried them, but the old Edge and LoPro are about as good as Floyds get. The only thing I prefer on the OFR is that it seems to flutter better than the Ibanez stuff (can't really remember how well the Edge fluttered though as it has been a while for me), but of course I'm also comparing 6-string OFRs to 7-string LoPros. Tuning stability wise and everything else though, those Ibanez trems are just as good as an OFR, and feel-wise I prefer the Lo-Pro. :idk:

As for Ibanez vs ESP, definitely Ibanez for me. I prefer the neck shape by far, and that's priority no. 1 for me. Besides that, and I am talking older models of course (I'm not particularly compelled to buy a new one of either brand at the moment), and as I said I prefer the LoPro over the OFR (and certainly over crappy cheap copies, but then Ibanez had the Lo-TRS too). Only new Ibanez I've bought in more recent times was an RGA121. Great guitar, sounded sweet especially with that thick maple top, but it was one of my failed attempts to get back into 6-strings. I also don't like EMGs, which a lot of ESPs seem to come with, but Ibanez pickups tend to blow anyway unless you're getting a J-Custom or a sig or something, so I'd factor in a pickup change from the beginning for either brand.

• Members
Age of a guitar doesn't mean jack {censored} to it's quality. I have a 20+ year old Hamer that will knock the snot out of you....excellent quality. Excellent performance....beat on and very little maintenance.

I have a 20 year old Ibanez RG760 that is the best super strat I've ever played, and I've played a bunch. I'd put it up against the quality of your Hamer any day. :cop:

• Members

Bull{censored}. It's not like saying that at all.

Age of a guitar doesn't mean jack {censored} to it's quality. I have a 20+ year old Hamer that will knock the snot out of you....excellent quality. Excellent performance....beat on and very little maintenance.

So now what?

I'm referring to the quality difference between the old Japanese models in comparison to the new Prestige models, of which the latter are significantly better. You're comparing brands based on obsolete experience/information.

And what's with your bull{censored} attitude lately?

• Members

I'm referring to the quality difference between the old Japanese models in comparison to the new Prestige models, of which the latter are significantly better. You're comparing brands based on obsolete experience/information.

And what's with your bull{censored} attitude lately?

Lately :confused:

Archived