How loud is a 1 watt tube amp?

Crappymonkey

• Members

I'm going to be moving into an apartment in a couple of months and I don't think my neighbours would appreciate me blasting my 50 watt head :cry:. I have a Blackheart little giant (5watts) and it's still pretty loud when I dime the volume. I've seen a bunch of 1 watt amps available and was wondering how loud they would be through a 2x12 cab? Also, has anybody had any experience with the Zvex Nano Head, the Suprise Sound Rock Block, or the Bumbox Lead 1?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've played some 45 based hifi amps and some WE 421 based amps that were freakin LOUD with a 99+ db/w pair of speakers...

but the killer ant runs off two 12ax7's, IIRC.. sounds pretty badass through a fullstack..

That was pretty cool. I saw the Killer ant but I don't like that it only has a volume knob

• Members

True...

plus.. it'd probably be more transparent than the eq they threw on any bitty amp anyhow, AND, you don't get a whole lot of tonal variation anyhow with that little wattage.. so set 'er and forget 'er.. just step on it when you warm up the amp!

if yer anything like me.. once you hit the squashy tone you get once it's full bore, you won't want to turn it back down anyhow! :lol:

• Members

50 Watt Amp:

|---------------------------------------------------------------|

1 Watt amp:

|-----|

ah yeah, but 50 watt amp

[-----]

1 watt amp

[------------------------------------------------------------------------]

those measure not penile size, but in fact, neighbor patience and acceptance. and also tone to volume ratio....

• Members

When I moved into an apartment, I went out (or got online) and bought a Nano Head and an Avatar 1x12 with a Greenback. I even got a 16ohm one, because I thought I'd be a bit quieter. To be honest, it's still pretty damn loud, and I find myself keeping it turned down and using a TS to get some dirt...should have not gotten all excited about the tiny watt head thing, cause now that I got some songs ready to play, I gotta find an amp that I can use for jams/onstage. It does sound cool though. Still...damn.

• Members

How efficient are your speakers? There's your answer. You'll be a hell of a lot louder running into Eminence Wizards then you will, say, Greenbacks.

That is your answer........and depending on speaker sizes and how many as well......

if you got a cabinet with just one inefficient 8" for the Blackheart, that would tone it down a lot. I couldn't believe the difference I heard with my little tube amp. The 12" was waaay louder than the 8". It may only have to do with speaker pressure though...

• Members

yeah-- paul klipsch-- the guy who created klipsch speakers- had a famous quote that what america needed was a GOOD 1 watt amp. mind you, that's when speakers were the size of end tables... much like a 412. it holds true for a LOT of things like PA and prosound drivers which are REALLY efficient.. as are most guit speakers.

the {censored}ers are LOUD for most practice type scenarios...

Archived