Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

Chrisjd

• Members

do a google search for dark matter/dark energy - truly astounding when you think that:

"Only about 4% of the total energy density in the universe (as inferred from gravitational effects) can be seen directly. About 22% is thought to be composed of dark matter. The remaining 74% is thought to consist of dark energy, an even stranger component, distributed diffusely in space" !

In other words
what we can see
is only 4% of what represents the universe

Visually yes, but new tech is being developed to see particles in other forms other than light particles to explore dark matter/energy and their existence outside of the "normal" realm.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the thing that affects me the most about the universe is TIME.

it is entirely possible for an infinite number of species and civilizations to have risen and fallen before the first proteins on earth even formed.

but statistically, the net population of the universe is zero, so the whole discussion is moot:lol:

• Members

Think about this:

In the 'known universe' (ie the vast area where light has been able to reach our location, some billion square lightyears) there is a certain number of atoms... now if we say there are an infinite amount of other known universes, that is, infinitely more universe whose light has not yet reached our location, then there are only so many (many, many) combinations of those atoms contained in each known universe available before these universes start repeating themselves. That means that out there in the infinity is a universe identical to ours, one negligably different, etc...

This makes reaching parallel universes simply a matter of distance. :idea:

• Members

the thing that affects me the most about the universe is TIME.

it is entirely possible for an infinite number of species and civilizations to have risen and fallen before the first proteins on earth even formed.

but statistically, the net population of the universe is zero, so the whole discussion is moot:lol:

Time is only a factor in our dimension. We are discovering time being not so relevant in other factions of the universe. Time is only a perspective pov and depends on when it is perceived from where. Time in respect of another galaxy is irrelevant in recent discovery/theory.

• Members

Yea trying to absorb all this feels like it will make you brain explode, research string theory or what scientists say about parallel universes, also einsteins theory of relativity which is a bit easier to Understand than others, it basically proves time travel is possible. ohh yea and a time machine already exists but they are only able to send small electrons into the future or the past as far back as when the time machine was built. yep...

It's easier to conceive and believe in God than to try and imagine or explain the expansiveness and complexity...{censored}, man thought sunlight was a big thing when God(s) were conceived ;)

• Members

Pretty interesting imo...

Even though my knowledge on this subject is not much, I find the possibilities of what could be in our universe extremely interesting.

Whenever I try to think about how expansive the universe is, and how it all started, and what could have come before it, I feel like I am dying, like my mind can't handle something so complex and is about to explode.

Strange feeling.

I get the same way... I think we need RAM upgrades.

• Members
It's easier to conceive and believe in God than to try and imagine or explain the expansiveness and complexity...{censored}, man thought sunlight was a big thing when God(s) were conceived
;)

The religious side of everything is moot. You can't come back and tell somebody about what does or doesn't exist after you are dead. The universe is used as an example in religion to explain or conceive the power of a deity which makes us all insignificant/ inferior by any stretch.

To say you can "dance on the stars" in a human sense is ridiculous. You'd melt. In a spiritual sense, maybe you can, maybe you can't. Nobody living will ever be able to disprove anyway. Science is in terms of the living... religion just extends the quest to live beyond physical presence.

• Members
Whether it is science or religious thought, I think it to be ridiculously arrogant for the human species to believe we the slightest clue as to the creation or expanse of the universe. 50-100 years from now what we think we know now will be looked at like a flat earth theory is looked at today. Our first step has probably not even been planted on the 1000 mile journey to truly know what's out there. I'm just here for a spin...

"Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe; five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat; and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know ... tomorrow."

-- K, Men in Black

:cool:

• Members

Pretty interesting imo...

Even though my knowledge on this subject is not much, I find the possibilities of what could be in our universe extremely interesting.

Whenever I try to think about how expansive the universe is, and how it all started, and what could have come before it, I feel like I am dying, like my mind can't handle something so complex and is about to explode.

Strange feeling.

You'll get the same feeling if you try to contemplate how much money was spent on the stimulus package. 1 billion seconds is over 30 years. You can't really think about a billion much less over 800 billion.

• Members

do a google search for dark matter/dark energy - truly astounding when you think that:

"Only about 4% of the total energy density in the universe (as inferred from gravitational effects) can be seen directly. About 22% is thought to be composed of dark matter. The remaining 74% is thought to consist of dark energy, an even stranger component, distributed diffusely in space" !

In other words what we can see is only 4% of what represents the universe

I bet we'll find out within 50 years that dark matter is merely a placeholder theory to make things make sense until we figure out what the real deal is. There's a lot of problems with dark matter (Where is it?).

• Members
Well, different-sized planets and planet types tend to develop at certain points in orbit. you have the tiny planets, medium rocky planets, gas giants, and frigid weird planets beyond that. These patterns vary, obviously, but it's just the way stuff tends to work.

We can see the systems that have a star with a closely orbitting gas giant style planet or just whatever large planet is near mostly just because we can actually detect them. Seeing something the size of earth at these distances is very, VERY hard.

When Voyager I was a little farther from the sun than Pluto, it took this picture of Earth:

161974main_pia00452-browse.jpg

The streak is one of the rings of saturn in the picture between Voyager and earth.

That's practically right in our backyard, and we can barely even see ourselves.

Seeing anything at tehse kinds of distances is incredible, seeing or even detecting another earth-sized planet is going to be an extremely difficult endeavor. This isnt because tehy don't exist, but just because they're so small and so far away.

I bet we'll find out within 50 years that dark matter is merely a placeholder theory to make things make sense until we figure out what the real deal is. There's a lot of problems with dark matter (Where is it?).

Old, but this always brings things home

[YOUTUBE]MnFMrNdj1yY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

It's stuff like this that makes me think you've got to be a bit of a div to even think there is a God. The Universe is just so huge and there's just so much out there, that why would there be 1 God who just created it all and watches over us?! Ridiculous. Anyway I don't wanna start a debate...

It also makes me wonder why I sit at my desk doing this {censored} job 5 days a week.

• Members
It's stuff like this that makes me think you've got to be a bit of a div to even think there is a God. The Universe is just so huge and there's just so much out there, that why would there be 1 God who just created it all and watches over us?! Ridiculous. Anyway I don't wanna start a debate...

It also makes me wonder why I sit at my desk doing this {censored} job 5 days a week.

I don't want to start a debate either, but I don't see the connection that you seem to see between A) an apparently infinitely huge universe, and B) "you've got to be a bit of a div to even think there is a God" ... :confused:

How does in the world does A) lead to B)? I don't see the logic... :idk:

Now, I DO completely agree that contemplating the vastness of the cosmos does make it extremely difficult to put up with the b.s. of a desk job! :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

I dunno. I just see all these millions of stars/planets and think why? Why would someone create all this? Surely it's just all random?

Ok maybe, maaaybe someone created the beginning and it just went from there, but I really don't believe that someone is actually watching over us.

Lol I'm glad you agree - I just wish I had the balls to do something about it!

Archived