Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

Chrisjd

• Members

It's stuff like this that makes me think you've got to be a bit of a div to even think there is a God. The Universe is just so huge and there's just so much out there, that why would there be 1 God who just created it all and watches over us?! Ridiculous. Anyway I don't wanna start a debate...

It also makes me wonder why I sit at my desk doing this {censored} job 5 days a week.

What is ridiculous is that we believe everything Science tells us yet a prostate exam still involves a finger a glove and an anus. Oh and that curing a cold thing seems to be eluding us...but man we have some pretty pictures of the end of the Universe..

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I dunno. I just see all these millions of stars/planets and think why? Why would someone create all this? Surely it's just all random?

Ok maybe, maaaybe someone created the beginning and it just went from there, but I really don't believe that someone is actually watching over us.

Thanks ~ I think I see what you're saying ... I don't necessarily have the same reaction, personally, when I think of millions of galaxies/stars/planets/etc. ... but that's cool ~ it's all just different perspectives, mang. :)

Lol I'm glad you agree - I just wish I had the balls to do something about it!

Yeah, sadly, I know that (ball-lacking) feeling myself, when it comes to that.. :facepalm::cry:

:p

• Members

Here's a little one that a lot of people have trouble comprehending:

You've heard of the big bang and expanding universe theories, right?

Well the big bang didn't occur at the center of the modern universe it occurred at modern day everywhere. And likewise things aren't expanding away from the center of the universe, they're expanding away from everything! :lol:

• Members

Well the big bang didn't occur at the center of the modern universe it occurred at modern day everywhere. And likewise things aren't expanding away from the center of the universe, they're expanding away from everything!
:lol:

Holy {censored}.

Imagine for a second that it isn't a big bang, with a singularity exploding outward... But a tiny crunch, with everything in the universe constantly shrinking!
:eek::eek::eek::bor:

• Members

There's nothing new about this news. A few years ago I was discussing the issue with a friend of mine who is a mathematician and astronomer and he told me pretty much the same thing except that the prevailing thought on "intelligent" life was that it was limited to a dozen or so planets throughout the entire galaxy rather than thousands.

BTW, I'm a religious person and I am not scared or offended by this. I actually find it quite interesting.

• Members

It's just common sense. If the universe is as big as claimed, there is statistically no way there could not be life outside our planet.

Reference?:blah::blah:

FWIW, I too suspect there is other life in the universe, but from a mathematical standpoint, this claim sounds extremely dubious.

• Members
What an idiot. Go count the amount of diseases cured by Religion and then count the diseases cured by Science. Tell me who wins. Oh, and you can't use the Internet, that's a tool of Science. You have to go to the library and actually read it. I hope you live close enough to walk, can't use a car, again that's a tool of Science.

Now, granted, the post you were replying to was pretty stupid ... but this ^^^ is pretty stupid, too.

Measuring religion & science (neither of which is capitalized, btw) against each other to see "who wins"= :freak:LAME:facepalm:FAIL:cop:

(And using scientific criteria to evaluate the worth of religion = just as much FAIL:facepalm: as using religious criteria to evaluate the worth of science... :cop: )

I'm not sayin' anything; I'm jus' sayin'. Y'know what I'm sayin'?
:wave:

• Members
What an idiot. Go count the amount of diseases cured by Religion and then count the diseases cured by Science. Tell me who wins. Oh, and you can't use the Internet, that's a tool of Science. You have to go to the library and actually read it. I hope you live close enough to walk, can't use a car, again that's a tool of Science.

Dude, they've revised and re-invented "science" since the beginning of time...if you could understand english, what I was saying was to blindly believe anything because some scientist says it...is the true meaning of idiocy.
(along with blindly believing anything)

• Members
Now, granted, the post you were replying to was pretty stupid ... but this ^^^ is pretty stupid, too.

Measuring religion & science (neither of which is capitalized, btw) against each other to see "who wins"= :freak:LAME:facepalm:FAIL:cop:

(And using scientific criteria to evaluate the worth of religion = just as much FAIL:facepalm: as using religious criteria to evaluate the worth of science...
:cop:
)

I'm not sayin' anything; I'm jus' sayin'. Y'know what I'm sayin'?

:wave:

My post which was made to make one point and one point only. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT"S STATED AS SCIENCE...One word for you Brontosaurus. The responder turned it into some anti-technology assumption about me (I'm an IT professional BTW)

Oh and when you have a prostate exam...you'll know exactly what I mean.

• Members
Joking? About what? The Moon's size and position or about it being an artificial construct created some time ago by another civilisation?
:idk::lol:

How about the fact that we never see the other side of the moon and there could be cities there.... perhaps our own cities where Elvis now gigs.

• Members

It's great that they are starting to find the smaller, near star, planets. Pretty much all astronomers expected them to be there, but it's gratifying to actually start imaging them.

The high Probability of Other worldly Biological life keeps being confirmed with each discovery too. Which is very cool too.

• Members
My post which was made to make one point and one point only. DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT"S STATED AS SCIENCE...One word for you Brontosaurus. The responder turned it into some anti-technology assumption about me (I'm an IT professional BTW)

My bad, mang ~ I should've checked out the full context of your original post. Instead, I just went by the way he quoted you & interpreted what you said. Sorry about that ... Guess I was just a bit impatient to get to *his* idiocy & correct it! :cop:

Apologies.

Oh and when you have a prostate exam...you'll know exactly what I mean.

Been there; done that... Now, let's never speak of it again! :freak:

• Members
And can you really say that each star has on average one earthlike star when we've only found 300 planets and most of them are gas giants
:idk:
I hope we meet another species in my life time
:o
that'd be pretty chill. Hang out with another species. Or at least artificially breed monkeys to get smarter and be able to communicate
:o

It is very easy to find gas giants (compared to finding other "Earths") when what they are measuring is either gravitational wobble of the star influenced by the planet, or dimming of the light output of the star as the planet passes in front of it. Those methods work because the gas giant is most likely a significant fraction of the mass of its host star.

• Members

Well the big bang didn't occur at the center of the modern universe it occurred at modern day everywhere. And likewise things aren't expanding away from the center of the universe, they're expanding away from everything!

String theorists believe that the "big bang" was not a singularity. They believe that there were actually several "bangs" occurring around the same times. The theory is that our universe came into existence when two other 2d branes collided with one another. Imagine that you're fluffing out a sheet to lay it down on a bed. The sheet doesn't touch just one place when it lands.

Of course there is a high likelihood that they are wrong.

-W

• Members

There's nothing new about this news. A few years ago I was discussing the issue with a friend of mine who is a mathematician and astronomer and he told me pretty much the same thing except that the prevailing thought on "intelligent" life was that it was limited to a dozen or so planets throughout the entire galaxy rather than thousands.

BTW, I'm a religious person and I am not scared or offended by this. I actually find it quite interesting.

I think that was misinterpreted or presented differently.

The odds of Intelligent life among the universe are immeasurable versus the odds of us ever being aware of them are limited. Given the size of the universe, mankind or other similar life forms chance of interacting are minimal. That being the odds of actual contact being made is presented in low numbers.

Given there are billions of galaxies with solar systems and potential for life, the sheer distance between galaxies presents the limited fact that contact in respect to time as we know it is not likely. For instance, it would take us longer than mankind's existence to travel to our nearest Galaxy Andromeda (M31).

It is said that our own Galaxy, the Milky Way is presented with more than 10 million Solar Systems or at least the potential among the +400 Billion Stars within our own galaxy that stretch 100,000 Light years across.

Numbers most people cannot fathom. There is more potential to contact intelligent life within our own galaxy than there is for other distant galaxies. Even at that, the years presented to travel distances within our galaxy present problems themselves. If it could be be done, there would not be anyone you know to tell about it when you returned. The closest next solar system is more than 26 light years from our sun. 67,000 years would have passed to make the journey.

Archived