Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

Chrisjd

• Members

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

Pretty interesting imo...

Even though my knowledge on this subject is not much, I find the possibilities of what could be in our universe extremely interesting.

Whenever I try to think about how expansive the universe is, and how it all started, and what could have come before it, I feel like I am dying, like my mind can't handle something so complex and is about to explode.

Strange feeling.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whenever I try to think about how expansive the universe is, and how it all started, and what could have come before it, I feel like I am dying, like my mind can't handle something so complex and is about to explode.

My brain does the same thing when I think about a delicious pizza.

• Members

Pretty interesting imo...

Even though my knowledge on this subject is not much, I find the possibilities of what could be in our universe extremely interesting.

Strange feeling.

From the site:

"Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms, capable of posting hundreds..if not thousands of messages on say...an amplifier forum. Most of these would however be unintelligible."

• Members

Now consider this:

That is just one galaxy.

There are many galaxies in the universe.

If each galaxy in the universe was the size of a pea, they would fill the entire volume of Mile High stadium (imagine the stadium as a huge bowl to hold the peas).

Which means, since we're one of many, that there is no reason why we should be special or safe from imminent destruction. Our world is fragile. Handle with care.

-W

• Members

Now consider this:

That is just one galaxy.

There are many galaxies in the universe.

If each galaxy in the universe was the size of a pea, they would fill the entire volume of Mile High stadium (imagine the stadium as a huge bowl to hold the peas).

Which means, since we're one of many, that there is no reason why we should be special or safe from imminent destruction. Our world is fragile. Handle with care.

-W

Is that really an accurate representation of how large the universe is though? Seems like a hard thing to estimate.

• Members

Yea trying to absorb all this feels like it will make you brain explode, research string theory or what scientists say about parallel universes, also einsteins theory of relativity which is a bit easier to Understand than others, it basically proves time travel is possible. ohh yea and a time machine already exists but they are only able to send small electrons into the future or the past as far back as when the time machine was built. yep...

• Members

Is that really an accurate representation of how large the universe is though? Seems like a hard thing to estimate.

It's accurate according to the current knowledge that we have, assuming that knowledge is correct. Given what we know of physics we can estimate the amount of matter in our universe and extrapolate the number of galaxies based on our observations of the size and makeup of the galaxies we can observe. The universe is expanding, however the amount of matter remains finite.

-W

• Members

Thinking about space in general is insane, cause we know life as being confined to our planet and our planet being inside space, so it makes you feel like space is inside something but its just this massive open existence, its so weird. Or that we commonly rationalize something by knowing that there is a beginning and end to things whether physical or geometrical. Space is something beyond this.

Imagine how {censored}ing awesome it would be to find another planet similar to earth and land on it and explore it. So damn cool, I hope I am around when something like this happens.

• Members

From the site:

"Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms, capable of posting hundreds..if not thousands of messages on say...an amplifier forum. Most of these would however be unintelligible."

LMFAO~ :lol::thu:

Archived