tube amps from the 70's and 80's still revered? not surpassed by technology - sad

andyhumb

• Members

amazing how all these years have past since the late 70's and early 80's -when tube amps and analog effect units/pedals were king. To this day, with all the tech advances in both amplifiers and digital effects units, etc, the tone of that time is still considered by many to be the ultimate (emulated at best, but not surpassed). I don't expect the teenagers to agree, but alot of guys over 30 will know what I mean. I'm just surprised by how little tone and purity of tone has advanced since that time.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's tube amps from the 50's and 60's by the way

Ok... I'll accept 70's since that's when MV amps with cascaded gain stages came about (Marshall's 2203 circuit is from 1975 for those who forgot).

Anything after that is scheisse

Do you think that... 30 years from now, people will say the digital modelers from the 00's were the best?

Vintage digital gear FTW

• Members

wow, I'm surprised at the responses from the young guys - I thought for sure I would hear "my Mesa rectifier blows away the Marshalls of the 70's and early 80's" etc. I guess young guys can have a good ear too
:)

Nothing wrong with new gear, either. I'm 40, and my main amp is a Mesa Roadking II, but I've owned and played some fantastic older maps, too. Old Blackface Fenders & Marshalls (JCM800s being my personal faves) in particular are hard to top in my book.

• Members

This

And when they do get it right, anything they come up with after is just a waste of $$$.

New stuff is cool for what they do but I'll be damned if you don't get goosebumps when you plug into a boosted JMP
:love:

Werd! :thu:

Have Gibson or Fender ever managed to top the Les Paul or the Stratocaster?

There's a good reason why some designs just stand the test of time better than others.

• Members

In fairness, their are alot of boutique companies like Voodoo Amps and John Suhr that make really, really high quality modern amps - but they are still probably somewhat modeled after the 70's and early 80's Marshall classic tones - not sure if you can truly say they surpass them

Archived