Peterson Strobostomp Dethroned?

JBecker

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

quit fighting guys!

I need a tuner pedal, what should I get.. the TurboStomp or the PitchBlack? I need it for studio/practice and live applications. Pitchblack seems to be built a lil tougher and plus from the videos it looks a lot easier to operate.. What should I choose?

Turbo Tuner

• Members
i still dont get why someone would think it strange for someone to ask this guy to clarify wether or not he really means what he's obviously implying with this post... but i know there will always be butthurt little trolls who hold grudes over the internet like 6th grade children and look for any excuse to talk {censored} with someone so
:idk:

to james peters- you dont have to get mad at me for asking you to clarify on saying something thats obviously idiotic just because you dont have the balls to admit it - it's not my fault
:lol:

What he means is exactly what he said-- unless you have perfect pitch, and that's something you'd know you have and it's something you have or you don't, without a tuner you're out of tune, period. You may only be a little out to the point of it not being noticeable to most people and that may or may not bother you, but you're out of tune.

He's saying for recording, that little bit is critical. For other applications, some people are going to think a little bit is a big deal, other people don't have ears that discerning.

The real bottom line-- if you don't record, and you don't play with other people, than you really can't talk about the usefulness, or lack thereof, of being precisely in tune. These things are far more important when you're playing with other instruments or coming back a day later to play on top of something previously recorded. And of course, even with perfect pitch, no one wants to hear you tuning between songs during your set.

So basically, why are you in this thread if you play alone and think your ears are good enough to not bug you when playing?

• Members
quit fighting guys!

I need a tuner pedal, what should I get.. the TurboStomp or the PitchBlack? I need it for studio/practice and live applications. Pitchblack seems to be built a lil tougher and plus from the videos it looks a lot easier to operate.. What should I choose?

Have you ever used a Strobe tuner? If you're accustomed to a traditional tuner, then you might find the strobe tuners to be a pain in the ass.

I refuse to use strobe tuners in live applications and my Pitchblack has been better than the TU-2 and Planet Waves tuners I formerly owned as far as normal tuners go.

I would recommend the Pitchblack. :)

• Members
Have you ever used a Strobe tuner? If you're accustomed to a traditional tuner, then you might find the strobe tuners to be a pain in the ass.

I refuse to use strobe tuners in live applications and my Pitchblack has been better than the TU-2 and Planet Waves tuners I formerly owned as far as normal tuners go.

I would recommend the Pitchblack.
:)

I've never even seen one. All I know is that they're the {censored}. But what makes them standout from the rest of the crowd, remains somewhat unclear to me. They say, it's more accurate because of the stroboscopic effects.. but as one of the previous posters said.. The lack of a "thumbs-up" on this particular model can be a pain.

What's your experience with them and what problems did you come across?

• Members
wait a minute- i just watched that, and it looked to me on the fastness deal- that when the peterson stopped on A,the turbo tuner kept changing,but they didnt look like the right pitches to me- it was just changing really fast, so what's the use of that?

Btw, are you saying, "When that guy played a scale, and the Turbo Tuner was able to pick up the note as it was played and the Strobotuner, being slower, simply sat on a single note until it was given more time, what's the deal with that?"

That'd be the Turbo Tuner just demonstrating it's extremely fast at detecting what note you're playing.

• Members
Btw, are you saying, "When that guy played a scale, and the Turbo Tuner was able to pick up the note as it was played and the Strobotuner, being slower, simply sat on a single note until it was given more time, what's the deal with that?"

That'd be the Turbo Tuner just demonstrating it's extremely fast at detecting what note you're playing.

no i mean exactly what i said. :cop:
i looks to me that the turbo tuner is just changing letters, and not really "keeping up" with the fast playing- but even if it can do that- wtf is the usefullness of that? seriously... :idk:

• Members
I've never even seen one. All I know is that they're the {censored}. But what makes them standout from the rest of the crowd, remains somewhat unclear to me. They say, it's more accurate because of the stroboscopic effects.. but as one of the previous posters said.. The lack of a "thumbs-up" on this particular model can be a pain.

What's your experience with them and what problems did you come across?

The Peterson Strobostomp, while very bright, is a cluster{censored} of spinning images when you're on stage trying to do a quick tuning check. You have to wait until they all align correctly, and because it's extremely accurate, it's harder to achieve. The Pitchblack is extremely easy to understand. When the green LED in the middle lights up, you're in tune.

Basically any of the strobe tuners will involve spinning lights/LEDs/images which I can't stand. Again, it's all about personal preference here, because some people swear by strobe tuners. I know you're in Russia, but are there any music stores where you could at least try out a Peterson? If not, Peterson strobe tuners have been used for decades by musicians of all types. You shouldn't have too hard of a time tracking down a true Peterson strobe tuner with real spinning disks. If so, try to tune your guitar with it, and if you can handle a digital simulation of those spinning disks, then you'll probably dig a Peterson.

Personally, I played in my school's jazz band for 4 years, and couldn't stand that Goddamn gigantic Peterson unit I had to use. Once I got my first Korg handheld tuner, I never looked back. :)

• Members

btw, the Peterson Strobostomp pedal is just a simulation of their true Strobe tuners.

Anyway, while looking for a pic of the big desk mounted Petersons, I stumbled across this:

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=123

This is a decent comparison. The only downside is, the demonstration only allows you to adjust the pitch by 12.5 cents, so it doesn't show how whacky those spinning discs can get. Anything further out of tune will make the images move faster, and in my opinion harder to read.

Regardless, that gives you a relatively decent idea of the differences between the two. If you can handle the strobe aspect, then the Peterson is probably more accurate.

• Members

The Peterson Strobostomp, while very bright, is a cluster{censored} of spinning images when you're on stage trying to do a quick tuning check. You have to wait until they all align correctly, and because it's extremely accurate, it's harder to achieve.

Not really. If you're tuning on stage, a little movement is fine. You don't need studio accuracy, you have the option to dispense with it. My Peterson is faster to tune up with than any other pedal I've had, because of the predictability of the display. Only the high E is a little tricky, because of the slight difference in tuner position between pitches; it can cause the tuner to hiccough between the "too flat to strobe" and the "very sharp flatter pitch" readout. I learned it in a couple days though.

That said, the TT is cheaper and smaller, so I'd have to give it the nod.

• Members

Not really. If you're tuning on stage, a little movement is fine. You don't need studio accuracy, you have the option to dispense with it. My Peterson is faster to tune up with than any other pedal I've had, because of the predictability of the display. Only the high E is a little tricky, because of the slight difference in tuner position between pitches; it can cause the tuner to hiccough between the "too flat to strobe" and the "very sharp flatter pitch" readout. I learned it in a couple days though.

That said, the TT is cheaper and smaller, so I'd have to give it the nod.

Yeah, I don't really care what tuner you prefer. I made it clear that the Pitchblack preference was just my opinion, and yes I've used Peterson tuners for close to 15 years. I tried to come off as unbiased as possible, and listed the link to the Peterson webpage that shows how the Strobostomp works.

Just because you prefer the strobe feature, does not mean all of us do.

• Members
That's EXACTLY how my son describes it! He does these little micro-bends to stay in tune as he moves down the fretboard, i.e., as the effects of tempered tuning become more apparent. He wasn't taught that by his teacher: he started doing it because the guitar sounded so out of tune to him.

Nice looking Tolex on that Splawn. I hate plain old black Tolex.
:)

While some people with perfect pitch enjoy "rubbing it in" a little bit, I would find being chained to perfect pitch a huge distraction. A couple early rock players, seemed to me, to play a LITTLE out of tune and I think it gives their playing..."character". Of course I am speaking of Jimi and Jimmy. Instead of just rocking out you're worrying over bending two notes of a chord so it's "perfect pitch"? :rolleyes:

Even with excellent maintenence and innovations like tuners and Buzz Feinten system, I think guitar playing is not a perfect pitch kind of system. Try synth instead!

And let's be clear here....a silent tuner should be required for live playing. Nothing wrong with a quick correction, but different atmospheric conditions alone can effect the guitar tuning, and we really don't want to hear you retune no matter how fast. What you do in the bedroom is your business. :lol:

• Members

Yeah, I don't really care what tuner you prefer. I made it clear that the Pitchblack preference was just my opinion, and yes I've used Peterson tuners for close to 15 years. I tried to come off as unbiased as possible, and listed the link to the Peterson webpage that shows how the Strobostomp works.

Just because
you
prefer the strobe feature, does not mean all of us do.

I'm not sure what's raised your ire, I didn't say anyone had to use or like anything. However this sentence:

"You have to wait until they all align correctly, and because it's extremely accurate, it's harder to achieve."

Is wrong, in, arguably, two different aspects, for the reasons I already cited.

• Members

I'm not sure what's raised your ire, I didn't say anyone had to use or like anything. However this sentence:

"You have to wait until they all align correctly, and because it's extremely accurate, it's harder to achieve."

Is wrong, in, arguably, two different aspects, for the reasons I already cited.

Ok. I'm not looking to argue with people over tuners. Having used both, I still won't touch a Strobostomp for live applications for the reasons I listed.

• Members

i still dont get why someone would think it strange for someone to ask this guy to clarify wether or not he really means what he's obviously implying with this post...
but i know there will always be butthurt little trolls who hold grudes over the internet like 6th grade children and look for any excuse to talk {censored} with someone so

to james peters- you dont have to get mad at me for asking you to clarify on saying something thats obviously idiotic just because you dont have the balls to admit it - it's not my fault
:lol:

Yet, you are obviously butthurt enough to bring up James Peters' post again.

• Members
Care to explain how?

I use an normal tool to do that. has it a build in toolkit?

Also don't really get the gimmick that it tracks so fast. I only use a tuner to tune my guitar and not see every note I play.

Are you saying you set the intonation on your guitars without a tuner??? :facepalm:

• Members

Now I got Tuner GAS!

Some people fight like little high school bitches here at HCAF. The butthurtin and pointless back and forth arguments over "who's opinions/comments is more stupider" ruined what could have been a really good, informative thread.

• Members

Are you assuming that one can't intonate a guitar without a tuner? You don't need a tuner to set the intonation and you don't need perfect pitch.

In honor of your last 2 posts!!

[YOUTUBE]PBZNM4-5nto&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I won't say which tuner I have, but it is one of the "industry standards". It is, in my opinion, a piece of total garbage. I had an older version of it which I bought used in 1982 - which gave out after 20+ years of use. The new version of the same model was vastly inferior and, in general, it is really not designed properly.

I haven't found anything better (yet), but if there are so many tuners out there that are that much worse, it's a sorry state of affairs. I have been told that I have very good ears by many engineers and musicians over the years so I am confident in my opinion (for once in my life!).

I will look into the "Peterson killer" pictured here, but it seems like it could be just another interface (maybe slightly better?) for the same old technology, which in my opinion, isn't very good.

LouLoomis

Archived