Peterson Strobostomp Dethroned?

JBecker

• Members
I bet you I could do it faster on a stage, where there is noise, to a higher degree of accuracy with even a TU2.

I bet you I could do it faster, at home, in silence, and to a higher degree of accuracy with even a TU2.

yeah i guess if i was playing in a band and live gigs and stuff i would probably get one, but i've never really felt like i was in a big hurry or a race with someone to tune up at home, or even just jamming in a garage or basement :lol:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought it and it works to perfection. The accuracy is irritating sometimes. You have to turn the heads just ever so slightly or it will show you how much you've gone over. There is no "green light" or a thumbs up. You either right on or your not. Intonation cannot get more accurate without this tuner as far as I know. Really THE best live tuner stomp-box. I started this thread to see opinions on live tuners. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2240591 . Someone posted the promo-video of the tuner and I was sold as were others. I wouldn't have known it existed if it weren't for HC. Just my $2.00 (my opinion is worth more than most :poke:)

• Members

Besides, I'm sure the whole audience wants to stand there listening to you tune by ear... :poke:

If you're going to play live in any capacity a good tuner is a must. If you have a problem paying $130 for a good tuner think about this. You can have the sickest rig in the world but if you're out of tune it's gonna sound like ass. After a set your ears are going to be hammered enough that you'll never be able to tune by ear accurately.

To me it's a no brainer.

• Members

most of the time I just use my ears (I've done the perfect pitch class) and though I never had the patience to do the exercises as thoroughly as they were needed to actually perfect my pitch recognition, It's close enough to where I rarely need a tuner. I keep a $20 fender tuner on my pedal board for silent tuning at shows though.

• Members
So that's why you replied to me just as sarcastically the second time?

Don't bother backpedaling. Either apologize or don't.

ok... then i wont. go {censored} yourself.

there now you have something to cry about. :thu:

• Members
Weak troll is weak.

_TJK*

how do you figure im trolling?
i tried apologizing to the dude, yet he continues to whine and cry about what amounts to basically nothing.... i mean wtf does he want me to do? go buy a plane ticket and fly out to wherever he is and suck his fukin caulk 4 or 5 times? :rolleyes:
fuk it- commence the tears :idk:

• Members
how do you figure im trolling?

i tried apologizing to the dude, yet he continues to whine and cry about what amounts to basically nothing.... i mean wtf does he want me to do? go buy a plane ticket and fly out to wherever he is and suck his fukin caulk 4 or 5 times?
:rolleyes:
fuk it- commence the tears
:idk:

See post #38 for reply.

_TJK*

• Members

I have a Peterson V-SAM, but I have to admit I almost always use either my Boss TU-12 or TU-15. The V-SAM is deadly accurate, but fussy to use. Onstage I use a Boss TU-2. I thought about getting a Strobstomp once, but heard it had problems; when I considered that along with the fussiness of the V-SAM, I decided the Boss unit was more than good enough.

• Members

My 14-YO has perfect pitch. I sort of wish I had it. I say sort of, because the few people I know who have it react to even the slightest deviation in pitch as if they were being choked. OTOH, it would be nice to not have to rely on a tuner. I had just finished tuning my Larrivee down to E-flat the other day - something I've never done before - when my son got home from school. As I was playing, he walked by and nonchalantly said, "whoa, what made you decide to tune down a half-step?" I could have strangled him. :)

• Members
My 14-YO has perfect pitch. I sort of wish I had it. I say sort of, because the few people I know who have it react to even the slightest deviation in pitch as if they were being choked. OTOH, it would be nice to not have to rely on a tuner. I had just finished tuning my Larrivee down to E-flat the other day - something I've never done before - when my son got home from school. As I was playing, he walked by and nonchalantly said, "whoa, what made you decide to tune down a half-step?" I could have strangled him.
:)

Dude it's like fingernails down a chalkboard...

I was pissed at my parker becuase the G string was getting pinched in the groove in the nut and when I would release the tremolo, it'd be nearly a half step sharp. Took it to my luthier's house today and he slotted the nut, checked the tuning on a korg rack tuner, dove all the way down and returned back and before I even looked at the tuner, I could hear it was still a hair sharp and he (before he looked at the tuner) said "there we go much better." and I said not yet.. he looked over and it was sitting on the line right next to the center "in tune" mark.

He had to make a tiny file on the saddle where the string sits in a groove and that fixed it but man before he did that and he released the trem and was thinking it was in tune I was thinking "how in the hell do you not HEAR THAT"

but yeah it is a seroius double edged sword when we're playing live and anything happens on stage that's not in tune like our singer or other guitar player or something, it just drives me up the wall and distracts me from what I'M trying to do.

• Members

my ear sucks when it comes to pitches. REALLY bad considering i call myself a musicians....

anywho....i used a cheap Korg CA-30 and a Seiko chromatic tuner for years. Then I got a strobostomp 2, and I can't without a doubt notice a HUGE difference in how "in tune" my guitars are.

Anything more, :idk:

• Members

I tried using a peterson strobe tuner before a show once, didn't work too well :facepalm: It was too finicky so I stopped trying to get all the wheels completely still, and because of that my guitar was just as out of tune as when I started. I would have been better off tuning by ear

I've got an old Boss TU-12 that works great, but if I'm not careful the switch gets turned on and the battery drains really fast. I have a couple cheapo Korgs that GC accidentally sent me for backup

• Members
Dude it's like fingernails down a chalkboard...

That's EXACTLY how my son describes it! He does these little micro-bends to stay in tune as he moves down the fretboard, i.e., as the effects of tempered tuning become more apparent. He wasn't taught that by his teacher: he started doing it because the guitar sounded so out of tune to him.

Nice looking Tolex on that Splawn. I hate plain old black Tolex. :)

• Members
i dont know if i have it or not- it's just always been really easy for me to hear differences in pitches and tune easily
:idk:

I have what I regard as pretty good relative pitch. I can tell when one string is out of tune, even when it's a very slight amount. It's not the same as perfect pitch though. People with perfect pitch can tell differences between a named note and a played note. My son can tune his guitar by ear, and when he plugs it into a tuner to test it, it's dead on. He can hum the high E note - without any reference note from an instrument - into one of my tuners and the tuner will read a dead-center E. It's uncanny.

• Members

One thing the Peterson still wins hands down at is tuning outside in the sun. This is not important for all, but it is for some.

p.s. - This has been discussed ad nauseam on TGP in case you want to get more opinions.

p.s.s - Yes, JBecker, you are way behind on this.

And to those who have never used an accurate tuner like a Peterson or Turbo Tuner.... there really IS a difference, and it is well worth the money IMHO.

Archived