Peterson Strobostomp Dethroned?

JBecker

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's relatively cheap, it's US made, it's small (Standard Hammond 1590B) enclosure and it's easy to see.
You can do intonation
with it and it's fast and looks great. What's not to like.

Care to explain how?

I use an normal tool to do that. has it a build in toolkit?

Also don't really get the gimmick that it tracks so fast. I only use a tuner to tune my guitar and not see every note I play.

• Members

that proves nothing. Nobody can tune "correctly" any faster with either tuner.

Releasing string tension and then re-tightening still takes time.

:cop:

Cheaper, same accuracy, better form factor for getting smacked around, easier to see on a stage...

I don't give a {censored} about the fast tracking, though that's funny to see.

• Members

Care to explain how?

I use an normal tool to do that. has it a build in toolkit?

Also don't really get the gimmick that it tracks so fast. I only use a tuner to tune my guitar and not see every note I play.

I just meant that it's accurate enough to do accurate intonation. A Boss TU-2 is borderline for that.

I tune up alot, almost between songs so it's important that it's fast.

• Members

i understand the need for relative accuracy for doing setups.. but wouldn't you have to retune by ear anyhow to make sure?

i dunno men.. seems like a lot to spend on something you haveta make sure is right with yer human ears anyhow?

yeah i dont have a tuner.

• Members

wait a minute- i just watched that, and it looked to me on the fastness deal- that when the peterson stopped on A,the turbo tuner kept changing,but they didnt look like the right pitches to me- it was just changing really fast, so what's the use of that? :idk:

• Members

Again, someone help me? I have a TU-2, I like it, it does its job. If I get something more accurate like the peterson or this new one, will I notice a difference, will my guitar sound more intune, even if it already does?

Im not trolling, honestly, im curious as to what difference it makes. Cheers :)

• Members

Looks good to me. I just ordered one.

For those who would argue that you can do without a tuner, or that accuracy isn't important, or that the speed of the tuner isn't important...it's relative. To some it's more important than others. Some people don't even mind being out of tune throughout an entire performance, and some audience members don't seem to notice in those cases (depending on how drunk they are or how loud the band is playing). During recording though, I'd argue it's critical. But then again I'd like my mixes to sound "right" for tuning, timing, and so on.

Anyway if the tuner is very accurate/fast, you shouldn't have to check the tuning again by ear; that's a benefit of a very fast and accurate tuner.

• Members

For those who would argue that you can do without a tuner, or that accuracy isn't important, or that the speed of the tuner isn't important...it's relative. To some it's more important than others. Some people don't even mind being out of tune throughout an entire performance, and some audience members don't seem to notice in those cases (depending on how drunk they are or how loud the band is playing). During recording though, I'd argue it's critical. But then again I'd like my mixes to sound "right" for tuning, timing, and so on.

so basically you're saying that people who dont think they need tuners are most likely people who dont mind playing out of tune and not only that, but out of tune live for entire sets, and cant get any recordings to sound "right", or even care if they do for that matter? :rolleyes:

• Members

so basically you're saying that people who dont think they need tuners are most likely people who dont mind playing out of tune and not only that, but out of tune live for entire sets, and cant get any recordings to sound "right", or even care if they do for that matter?
:rolleyes:

Do you have perfect pitch?

• Members

so basically you're saying that people who dont think they need tuners are most likely people who dont mind playing out of tune and not only that, but out of tune live for entire sets, and cant get any recordings to sound "right", or even care if they do for that matter?
:rolleyes:

That's not what I said.

You can tune accurately by ear if you are good at it. I can do it. It has its drawbacks, since you have to hear the notes and compare them to others (using harmonics or chords, etc.) and it's not very fast to do accurately. As for accuracy, some find it unimportant especially during a live performance. I'd argue for recording it's critical though. And having accurate tuning that's very easy to perform makes that job easier when you want it.

Next time don't be so defensive and I won't have to explain an otherwise very simple post in greater detail. :rolleyes:

• Members

i dont know, but id be willing to bet money i can tune a guitar so close to perfect you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
:idk:

I bet you I could do it faster on a stage, where there is noise, to a higher degree of accuracy with even a TU2.

I bet you I could do it faster, at home, in silence, and to a higher degree of accuracy with even a TU2.

Archived