Marshalls not the best for live??

Meatbeard

• Members

I think there are plenty of amps like that. Mesa being the biggest one. Ive heard some killer recorded tones on Recto's but Ive never heard someone in person have their dialed in to where it didnt sound like ass.

Yes I think you have a point there. A Recto needs to be so loud to reach the 'sweet spot', it's not a sound you can get at the volume you would play at in your local bar.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
JCM900s sound really good to me, I dont get why people seem to hate them
:idk:
Maybe they just didnt try it through a good cab
:idk:

Meh.... just a matter of taste, I guess. I think they sound too harsh. But what the hell do I know... :cool:

I do think the newer Marshalls have reliability issues if you use them a lot on stage. In my experience anyway...

• Members
It seems to me that the marshalls that Ive ever played have achieved better results in a recording studio as opposed to live use. Ive seen a zillion bands that use Marshalls (not just tsl's or jcm2000s, im talking jmp's/800's etc) and Ive just never been blown away by the live tone of a Marshall, especially in the heavy territory. (Flamesuit on) Ive actually been WAY more impressed when I hear a guy that knows how to set a peavey correctly,like a 5150 or a JSX. They just seem to cut better and sound thicker. Almost to the point where I feel like selling my marshall for a 6505 plus. Idk?? Thoughts??

:facepalm:

• Members

sorry guys... didnt mean to start a {censored}storm. Im just coming off of a night of frustration with my amp. I guess it was just the sound in the venue. I have a 73 Superlead that I adore, enough to where Im pretty confident that I will have the best tone of the night where ever I show up. Everyone was playing those damn jcm2000s and horribly dialed in TSLs. By the time I played, I had heard that thin, shrill wash of those amps that I thought mine sounded like ass. Some one after had a JSX last night and it just killed. Maybe I though that because it was the only different flavor of the evening.

Judging your amp by a live situation is a recipe for disaster. I play ~200 shows a year and used to drive myself nuts with this. Some shows I would think "man, my rig sucks! how did this happen?" I only realized this was ridiculous when I started listening to live clips our publicist had compiled. My tone was smokin' every time (and in fact, got worse as i tried to "fix" it). I've come to realize that:

a. onstage sound is usually either crap, nonexistent and/or eq'd way differently than what is being heard out front. plus, the sound at the mic is way different than what your hearing entertaining your back.

b. if your sound guy is good, he is probably eq'ing your sound to be way different than what you might think would be "good," but that's because he's making it fit in a sonic space with a lot of different other frequencies flying around from other instruments. for instance, most guitarists nowadays like a crapload of bass which is just being dumped at the board to avoid a muddy mix.

c. acoustics are radically different for every venue.

• Members

Judging your amp by a live situation is a recipe for disaster. I play ~200 shows a year and used to drive myself nuts with this. Some shows I would think "man, my rig sucks! how did this happen?" I only realized this was ridiculous when I started listening to live clips our publicist had compiled. My tone was smokin' every time (and in fact, got worse as i tried to "fix" it). I've come to realize that:

a. onstage sound is usually either crap, nonexistent and/or eq'd way differently than what is being heard out front. plus, the sound at the mic is way different than what your hearing entertaining your back.

b. if your sound guy is good, he is probably eq'ing your sound to be way different than what you might think would be "good," but that's because he's making it fit in a sonic space with a lot of different other frequencies flying around from other instruments. for instance, most guitarists nowadays like a crapload of bass which is just being dumped at the board to avoid a muddy mix.

c. acoustics are radically different for every venue.

Big +1

Sounding crappy onstage doesn't mean you sounded bad in the FOH. Lots of factors affect how we hear our sound on stage in different venues. But given that you're generally gonna be close-mic'd with a 57 or 421 the sound that's going to the mains is gonna be more consistent venue to venue than what you're hearing on stage.

The excessive bass thing most guitarists dial is a pet peeve of mine, lol. That sound never works in a mix whether in a live mix or in a recording and will have to be dumped at the board. IMO your tone sounds better not having that in the first place, but w/e. I think the best way to understand what works and what doesn't is to do a bunch of home recording/mixing. If you have some idea of what you're doing and a decent set of ears you will end up using less bass :lol: Doesn't matter how "punchy" you think your rig is, the kick and bass will do a way better job of the lows than your guitar ever will and its best to stay out of their way. I think a lot of people would be shocked how "small" most of their favorite guitar tracks would sound solo'd in a mix.

• Members

The excessive bass thing most guitarists dial is a pet peeve of mine, lol. That sound never works in a mix whether in a live mix or in a recording and will have to be dumped at the board.

Depends if you have a bassist or not. I hate when bands use bassists just to add the low end, they may as well just turn the bass up.

Overly trebley sounds can sound like ass to my ears a lot of the time too live, even though I like trebley guitars in the bedroom/on recordings. It depends how good the setup is.

• Members

for a long time I completely agreed with this statement, atleast in relation to every amp from 800's on. I always loved plexis live.

and then I got a JVM210 head...

the thing is great live. Very full and rich sounding through my mesa vertical 2x12, cant wait to get a second cab. I was very pleased to find that it pulls off the tone I was getting out of my AD15 combo.

So in short...ive been converted.

• Members

I can understand why the OP would think that the Peavey would cut better. However I would rather play my DSL any day to the Peavey 6505/5150 stuff. This is not because the DSL is better, but the sound never just jived with me when I tried them out. Granted, every time I played a 5150/6505 it was on a show room floor, where they probably weren't setup like one would do at home.

I have to admit that I have heard some great tones come out a 6505/5150 from concerts I have gone too, but every time I hear a Marshall live it's :love:, especially older Marshall amps like a Super Lead.

Though to the OP, those other clowns must be dialing in their JCM 2000s incorrectly. These sound killer when dialed in right.

Cole

• Members
Depends if you have a bassist or not. I hate when bands use bassists just to add the low end, they may as well just turn the bass up.

Overly trebley sounds can sound like ass to my ears a lot of the time too live, even though I like trebley guitars in the bedroom/on recordings. It depends how good the setup is.

Sorry, but no. Turning the bass up instead of having a bass player? :facepalm: And I didn't even mention treble, so not talking about an overly bright mix, either. Guitars are midrange instruments and your mix will sound best if you're aware of that and adjust accordingly.

Archived