Marshalls not the best for live??

Meatbeard

• Members

It seems to me that the marshalls that Ive ever played have achieved better results in a recording studio as opposed to live use. Ive seen a zillion bands that use Marshalls (not just tsl's or jcm2000s, im talking jmp's/800's etc) and Ive just never been blown away by the live tone of a Marshall, especially in the heavy territory. (Flamesuit on) Ive actually been WAY more impressed when I hear a guy that knows how to set a peavey correctly,like a 5150 or a JSX. They just seem to cut better and sound thicker. Almost to the point where I feel like selling my marshall for a 6505 plus. Idk?? Thoughts??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dont know if I would go that far - but I have a few amps that would probably be better in a live environment, due to tone aand ability to cut through and not sound as muddy. There is a lot of things that it depends on though.

What kind of cab do you use?

~Matt

• Members

To be honest, I have only owned a jcm900 and a silver jubilee. I still have the jubilee.

The 900 was fizzy, but that could have been half of the guitars' fault. If I were to play live though, and I could choose between one my amps, Id choose the herbert over the jubilee. I much rather prefer to run both at the same time though. Each amp has its own spot in my tone, I cant get it from just 1 amp.

~Matt

• Members

To be honest, I have only owned a jcm900 and a silver jubilee. I still have the jubilee.

The 900 was fizzy, but that could have been half of the guitars' fault. If I were to play live though, and I could choose between one my amps, Id choose the herbert over the jubilee. I much rather prefer to run both at the same time though. Each amp has its own spot in my tone, I cant get it from just 1 amp.

~Matt

900s are the worst Marshall ever made IMO.

I think I would rather play a MG.

• Members

obviously, its been a staple for rock forever, but, live, it just seems that they tend to get a little too bright and thin. I like crisp, but, chewy and fat.. like the way that a Splawn Nitro sounds in demo videos. Then again, unless im seeing a band at the ONLY venue in houston with a good sound system, its hard to get a good gage on how anyones tone sounds ha. The last time I saw Darkest Hour, they were using peaveys.. and it was at a venue with horrible sound, and they still tonally blew everyone out of the water.

• Members

Marshalls are great for live situations where you can really open them up and play them loud. For your average bar gig, there are better options.

This.

I think there are two different types of amps. Those made for live use/recording and those amps made for bedroom jamming. Marshalls fall into the live use/recording category. They don't sound as good at bedroom volumes.

• Members

Maybe you don't like the sound of Marshalls. They sound massive if you know what you're doing. And contrary to the amateurs here, you can make a 900 sound glorious.

yep... I had a JCM900 4500 for a while and it kicked serious ass.. I had to replace the 5881s with EL34s but there was the only mod I needed to do.

• Members

Marshalls are great live amps. You'll never get lost in a mix with one. And I disagree with the poster above reccomending an Uberschall for low tuned stuff. Live the Marshall helps the low tuning to cut through and will still sound massive. JCM800 and an Uber on stage, guess which one you can hear?:thu:

• Members

Marshalls are great live amps. You'll never get lost in a mix with one. And I disagree with the poster above reccomending an Uberschall for low tuned stuff. Live the Marshall helps the low tuning to cut through and will still sound massive. JCM800 and an Uber on stage, guess which one you can hear?
:thu:

both.. thats the setup i use live. :lol:

• Members
Maybe you don't like the sound of Marshalls. They sound massive if you know what you're doing. And contrary to the amateurs here, you can make a 900 sound glorious.

no, you can't. They have them diodes in them! I've heard some of the best guitar tones ever coming out of 900s.:thu:

Archived