Marshalls not the best for live??

Meatbeard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish i had something constructive to say to the OP. I don't really. I've used a few different amps live (for more than one show - for at least a few months at a time) - POD through a Mesa poweramp, a JMP-1 through the same poweramp, an ENGL Fireball and a Marshall JCM 900 DR. I love my 900. I had an issue where one of the resistors (or capacitors - i can't remember) blew up, and it (the amp) had no output. It (the problematic part) got replaced, the amp was serviced and it sounds better than ever. I might get something smaller one day, but live i can't go past my 900.

• Members

If you're having trouble getting good Marshall tone live, try a Bugera. Bugera do inexpensive clones that swap out some of the components for a better overall live tone, despite the smaller price tag.

Have you played the new Marshall clones?

• Members

If you're having trouble getting good Marshall tone live, try a Bugera. Bugera do inexpensive clones that swap out some of the components for a better overall live tone, despite the smaller price tag.

What's your position at behringer?

And my 2204 will bury most amps at stage volumes, throw in the OCD and it's lights out

• Members

Maybe you don't like the sound of Marshalls. They sound massive if you know what you're doing. And contrary to the amateurs here, you can make a 900 sound glorious.

What's up brother Shea! I see Son Of Fire's debut ablum is coming out this summer. Bout {censored}ing time man! I'll be get'n one. Sounds great man.:thu:

OP- Marshall's breath fire. How can you miss that in a mix?:idk:

• Members

900s are the worst Marshall ever made IMO.

I think I would rather play a MG.

I love the 900s the most. It's so easy to dial in to a good sound and works well with any effect. The first channel especially has a dark, laid back clean tone that works well with OD pedals, so the combination won't be too harsh. I think this is a reason why a lot of venues around here keep one in their backline, because it's so easy to set your tone right quickly.

IMO, Fender's are good on their own, but they take control of your sound too much, I'd rather set a non-invasive tone on the amp and let my board do the rest of the work.

Mesa, Peavey ... all great amps, but too many time consuming controls and options for hte most part.

• Members

sorry guys... didnt mean to start a {censored}storm. Im just coming off of a night of frustration with my amp. I guess it was just the sound in the venue. I have a 73 Superlead that I adore, enough to where Im pretty confident that I will have the best tone of the night where ever I show up. Everyone was playing those damn jcm2000s and horribly dialed in TSLs. By the time I played, I had heard that thin, shrill wash of those amps that I thought mine sounded like ass. Some one after had a JSX last night and it just killed. Maybe I though that because it was the only different flavor of the evening.

• Members

Why would an amp be better for a recording studio rather than live anyway?
:idk:

I think there are plenty of amps like that. Mesa being the biggest one. Ive heard some killer recorded tones on Recto's but Ive never heard someone in person have their dialed in to where it didnt sound like ass.

• Members

I think there are plenty of amps like that. Mesa being the biggest one. Ive heard some killer recorded tones on Recto's but Ive never heard someone in person have their dialed in to where it didnt sound like ass.

Outboard processing/EQ. Petrucci would be a good example.

It's not that it magically sounds better in the studio, it's just that it needs more processing to sound good. Most Marshalls don't IMO.

• Members

Whaatttt? Marshalls are the best live amps period. They cut like a knife. Well the good ones anyways (Plexi, JCM 800, DSL, etc).

+1 the only reason I bought an 800 was because I was in a (gigging) band at the time.

Archived