Is this a good ballpark price for a vintage Marshall?

colin617

• Members

I am looking for an amp to run as the clean foil for my Silver Jubilee and was thinking a Marshall Major would be nice (a la Frusciante). How much do these usually go for? Who makes a good clone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-MARSHALL-MAJOR-200-WATT-HEAD-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ320362843072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320362843072&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

• Members

Ear splittingly clean and they're HEAVY!

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I have my Jubilee for distorted tones.

I've been carrying around a Twin Reverb RI and AC30 212 for the better part of 4 years....if the Major approaches that level of (combined) weight, I will be impressed.

• Members
It's much better to get a Super Lead or Super Bass.

The majors have different parts, different tone stack, ...

They are way loud too.

They are typically not worth near as much as other vintage Marshalls (and not as desireable).

:thu:
Ive never been a huge fan of Marshall Majors. Much better off with a Super Lead. And PLEASE understand what we mean when we say that these are loud. Were not talking "My buddy has a Dual Rectifier and it is loud". Were talking" Holy {censored}, I cant even use this amp because the volume goes from off to holy {censored} with nothing in between"

• Members
Ive never been a huge fan of Marshall Majors. Much better off with a Super Lead. And PLEASE understand what we mean when we say that these are loud. Were not talking "My buddy has a Dual Rectifier and it is loud". Were talking" Holy {censored}, I cant even use this amp because the volume goes from off to holy {censored} with nothing in between"

Worldoftone showed us his Marshall Major full stack on a few occasions. :D

It is one of those amps that you feel in your chest as you hit chords.

His did have excellent clean tones. :idk:

• Members

Pretty much... If you get one of these, you pretty much have to get a Hot Plate or some sort of attenuator. These amps are so loud that they dislodge the chewing gum that has been in your lower intestine for 13 years.

• Members

Pretty much... If you get one of these, you pretty much have to get a Hot Plate or some sort of attenuator. These amps are so loud that they dislodge the chewing gum that has been in your lower intestine for 13 years.

Dear God. Is it really THAT loud?!

Maybe a Super Bass or Super Lead is more my speed...

• Members
Dear God. Is it really THAT loud?!

Maybe a Super Bass or Super Lead is more my speed...

Try a Super Bass. You can even get something made in the 70's and save some $$. The circuit didn't change like the SuperLeads did (brighter). Super Bass has a great warm clean sound. The PT on some of the super basses are larger for more clean headroom. :idea:

Archived