Any takers on a 16x12 cabinet?

killersoundz

• Members
Right. I am a drummer first as well, I mean that's what I have been playing the longest but I also dabble on the guitar quite a bit.
;)
I do agree, when I used to play my kit sometimes without earplugs (or my isolation headphones for that matter) the snare and hi hat will kill your hearing like no other.

I stuck my dB meter by my head sitting at my kit and whacked on the snare, it was around 125-130dB easy. Prolonged exposure over 90dB can damage your hearing.....so yes, earplugs
:thu:

Werd. Sometimes just for {censored}s and giggles I'll hit my snare without earplugs in to get a more accurate idea of what it sounds like. As soon as I hit it once all I hear is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

:cry:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Werd. Sometimes just for {censored}s and giggles I'll hit my snare without earplugs in to get a more accurate idea of what it sounds like. As soon as I hit it once all I hear is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

:cry:

Yeah I was just tuning my set the other day without hearing protection...oh well what are you gonna do, she's gotta sound good :)

• Members
So just for fun I'm really really thinking about building a 16x12 guitar cabinet.

Off the top of my head I would estimate the total weight with speakers about 220-250lbs.

:freak:

d:oes not want

• Members
http://www.grendelsound.com/

Doesn't this post make you want to run out and buy a Dead Room?
:idea:

:facepalm:

Hehehe. I created the Dead Room out of necessity when I lived with my parents. I was in the market for a iso cab but I wasn't very satisfied with any of the ones I tried out so I decided to build my own. Now that I sell awesome iso cabs to people that need them, I have a large warehouse where I can crank up a 16x12 if I wanted. :)

I do use my product when I am recording bands live, since my recording setup at the shop is kind of make-shift for now and I don't have separate rooms. I will admit that of course no when we are tracking stuff out I either use my amp (4x12) or the guitarists amp if he's legit enough. But the Dead Room sounds great. :thu:

• Members
Hehehe. I created the Dead Room out of necessity when I lived with my parents. I was in the market for a iso cab but I wasn't very satisfied with any of the ones I tried out so I decided to build my own. Now that I sell awesome iso cabs to people that need them, I have a large warehouse where I can crank up a 16x12 if I wanted.
:)

Congratulations? :confused:

• Members

Dude I don't think you realize the relationship of size and mass of a 16x12. My 4x12 alone weighs around 120lbs. I alone have difficulty carrying it and have difficulty lifting it by myself. Multiply that weight by 4 and you'd be around 480lbs, at that point you'd need to add more structure and bracing to it just to keep it from falling apart or flexing from weight and the force of the speakers. Unless your using like 1/4" {censored} plywood I don't think you'r gonna be near 200lbs :lol: and as for fitting it in a truck or van, I doubt that would happen either, I have enough problems fitting my fullstack in my truck. Let alone fitting 2 fullstacks and trying to lift it in without a horde of midget roadies.

Best of luck with your idea tho :thu:

• Members
Dude I don't think you realize the relationship of size and mass of a 16x12. My 4x12 alone weighs around 120lbs. I alone have difficulty carrying it and have difficulty lifting it by myself. Multiply that weight by 4 and you'd be around 480lbs, at that point you'd need to add more structure and bracing to it just to keep it from falling apart or flexing from weight and the force of the speakers. Unless your using like 1/4" {censored} plywood I don't think you'r gonna be near 200lbs
:lol:
and as for fitting it in a truck or van, I doubt that would happen either, I have enough problems fitting my fullstack in my truck. Let alone fitting 2 fullstacks and trying to lift it in without a horde of midget roadies.

Best of luck with your idea tho
:thu:

Hi it would be much lighter then 4 4x12's with the same speakers...a lot less material. Right, there is a lot of bracing involved but still. Made out of Baltic Birch, I'd estimate the empty cab to only be around 100, maybe 120lbs. Plus speakers at ~10lbs each 160lbs.... 280lbs total....yeah more then my original assessment but still definitely not over 300.

• Members
Hi it would be much lighter then 4 4x12's with the same speakers...a lot less material. Right, there is a lot of bracing involved but still. Made out of Baltic Birch, I'd estimate the empty cab to only be around 100, maybe 120lbs. Plus speakers at ~10lbs each 160lbs.... 280lbs total....yeah more then my original assessment but still definitely not over 300.

So what your saying is it will be dramatically smaller than having 4 4x12s? that sorta defeats the purpose of a 16x12 :lol: if you have the speaker spacing smaller then your over projection of sound would be smaller. ya know? I already rock a fullstack live and my big rig is stereo 3/4 stack and a 4x12 and that covers quite alot of space and spreads the sound pretty wide. I'm definitely interested in the idea I've built alot of cabinets over the years at my shop and in my own personal time but it sorta defeats the purpose if the internal volume is gonna be that small and the projection will be that narrow. :idk:

• 2 months later...
  • Members
So just for fun I'm really really thinking about building a 16x12 guitar cabinet. It would roughly be a little bit less then 5ftx5ft x oh lets say 18" deep? (I think my actual CAD design was 56"x56")You could fit this into a van or truck easilly and would be one hell of a sight...and sound.

If anyone were to buy this first of all the most expensive part would be 16 speakers. You could go either something cheap, load it with $30 goldwoods or put in 16 vintage 30's at $100 each. Second most expensive part would be the frieght shipping.

Off the top of my head I would estimate the total weight with speakers about 220-250lbs. I'm really in the mood to make some ridiculous stuff.

8x12's are also interesting to me and I plan on designing and building one of those as well. The advantage to one single 8x12 cabinet over two 4x12's as a full stack would be the total weight would be less (probably by about 30-40lbs) and a notably different tone i'm sure...and of course come on it's an 8x12, that kicks ass!

Of course loading and hauling such mamoth beasts may take a body builder or two, but would certainly be something special!!!

I'd like to build a 16x12 cab and put you in it. than drop it in the ocean. :mad:

Archived