OT: anybody drive a hybrid car?

bluesboy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another TDI data point: a guy that I work with has the '07 Passat TDI. He drives about 140 miles round trip to work. He drives like an old woman, topping out about 65mph, letting off the accel heading up to lights, etc. He regularly gets 38/40mpg. He took a 200 mile trip at 55/60mph and got 47mpg.

So, again, Prius wins because even the old maw-maw drivers don't go 60mph & lower :)

• Members

I had a Prius for a day. Not a fan at all. I didn't find the seats comfortable, the steering was way too light, the suspension was too soft, everything felt very plastic-y inside (including the pedals), I don't like the spaceship-like driver's console, and I thought the blind spots were unnecessarily huge. And it wasn't nearly as powerful as I would've liked. And I feel like it could shed a few pounds.

But I averaged 42 mpg, so I guess that's cool :poke:

I'd much rather have a much more engaging, lighter diesel car if I were concerned about mileage.

The last time I went to Vegas in my car I made it back to LA in a little under 4 hrs and averaged about 36 mpg. And I have 300hp :thu:

{censored}, if we could get diesel BMWs here in the US, I would have dug into savings and dealt with the higher cost.

They're already available in the US.

• Members

Another TDI data point: a guy that I work with has the '07 Passat TDI. He drives about 140 miles round trip to work. He drives like an old woman, topping out about 65mph,
letting off the accel heading up to lights,
etc. He regularly gets 38/40mpg. He took a 200 mile trip at 55/60mph and got 47mpg.

I don't call that driving like a grandma, I call it being smart. My girlfriend drives the other way, it's either gas or brakes, nothing in between, I f'ing hate it. She also goes through brakes a lot more often than I do. :lol:

If you're coming to red light, there's no reason to still be on the accelerator after a certain point.

• Members

I don't call that driving like a grandma, I call it being smart. My girlfriend drives the other way, it's either gas or brakes, nothing in between, I f'ing hate it. She also goes through brakes a lot more often than I do.
:lol:

If you're coming to red light, there's no reason to still be on the accelerator after a certain point.

Oh, come on. I was exaggerating to make my point.

• Members

Based on what price for gas? Seems like that's a moving target.

This was based more on Honda's hybrid civic. The difference between a base civic and the hybrid is somewhere in the range of 8k-10k. Over 10 years you would have to save $100 per month on gas. How much do you think you would save? If I personally had a hybrid I would save somewhere around $50 per month on gas (assuming 40-42mpg).

Anyways the point is that people shouldn't buy hybrids to "save money". In reality, you can get cars for half the price or a prius that get 30 mpg. It will be very interesting when the batteries need to be replaced and they cost a few thousand dollars.

• Members

46&2 sounds like a butthurt hybrid driver. . . . that got his ass kicked at a stoplight romp by a TDI. . . . then the TDI had better gas mileage

Hunh. Not sure how to read this: pokin' fun or a lack of reading comprehension skillz in one of us :confused:

[edit] ah, your sig is the key i think

• Members

To put my oar in on the diesel side of things....

My dad bought a brand new E46 BMW 320d in 2001. It has a little computer on it that has counted the mpg since then. He drives it all over the country, town, motorway, country roads.

54 mpg over 103,000 miles. It's a decently quick car on the roads, very spacious for 4 people and comfortable for 5, is nice to be in, and has a big boot.

He's currently selling it to buy the new BMW 3 series, but is going for the 330d. Although getting a bigger displacement engine (and an extra 90 HP), because they've made a lot of advances in efficiency (as well as stop/start, regenerative braking etc) it has the same quoted fuel efficiency, so he expects to get the same ~53 mpg for his driving. And that's with 245bhp and 384lb ft of torque.

I've never driven a Prius, but from reading up on them in the real world they would be less fuel efficient than the BMW and also have all the batteries and associated energy costs in their production.

I'm pretty sure the BMW would be a ncier car to sit in and drive too.

• Members

If all ppl care about is the environment then they should get a car from like 1984 almost all of them are 40mpg+ some up to 66mpg highway. Plus they don't have the batteries that are terrible for the environment in them - and they are cheap. Although i guess driving a family car from 1984 is not hip so they get hybrids.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/10/19/super-cheap-high-mpg-cars-1984/

• Members

So why didn't GM allow the leaseowners to buy their car when they wanted to instead of confiscating and destroying them?

Are you talking about the H2 technology?

Quite simply the investment and research that GM have already done - and proven real world - is invaluable. I doubt their leaseholders could have offered anything close to what the tech is worth.

DOn't get me wrong, I'm not a GM fanboy or anything, but may as well call it how it is.

Archived