OT: anybody drive a hybrid car?

bluesboy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im just curious about it, and i heard some things which I dont know are true or not.

like they cant drive over 50 miles and hour.

they cant do long trips without having to recharge.

i would need to drive 65 mile per hour, and do regular trips of 140 miles per day

• Members

I drive Ford Escape Hybrid.

I like that it gets about 29 mpg, versus about 22 for the standard drive.

Also nice that when I'm stuck in a traffic jam, which is almost daily in my commute, I'm wasting no gas, because the gasoline engine shuts off.

The battery recharges itself automatically.

• Members

im just curious about it, and i heard some things which I dont know are true or not.

they cant do long trips without having to recharge.

i would need to drive 65 mile per hour, and do regular trips of 140 miles per day

I think you are confusing hybrid cars with electric cars.

• Members

Old company had a couple of Prius'

I hated the damned things! They felt horrible, the steering wheels weren't in front of you, they were sort of just off to the side of you... seriously! I hated that!

The servicing was rediculous though! Honda's Prius standard service was about double what a standard diesel engine would cost.

In a nut shell, all costs included, it doesn't save in my opinion and just isn't a nice car to drive. Reg Vardy picked them all up when their lease was up and we replaced them with diesel Ford Focus'. Everyone was a lot happier.

• Members

Why would I if I can get 50MPG perfectly fine with my current car ;-)

because hybrid owners would rather have a little leaf and a big fat "HYBRID" emblem on the side of their cars. Even if there are alternatives, that get better fuel efficiency.

Diesels destroy hybrids. At everything.

• Members

I hated the damned things! They felt horrible, the steering wheels weren't in front of you, they were sort of just off to the side of you... seriously! I hated that!

The servicing was rediculous though! Honda's Prius standard service was about double what a standard diesel engine would cost.

In a nut shell, all costs included, it doesn't save in my opinion and just isn't a nice car to drive. Reg Vardy picked them all up when their lease was up and we replaced them with diesel Ford Focus'. Everyone was a lot happier.

I don't think Honda would service Prius cars :cop:

• Members

The servicing was rediculous though!
Honda's Prius standard service was about double
what a standard diesel engine would cost.

making up another story eh

• Members

Can't legally go over 65 mph anywhere near here, but I'm sure I've broken 90 in my Ford Escape at some point.

Acceleration was my concern before I bought it, since we have some older highways here with short merge lanes. So far hasn't been a problem.

• Members

Just remember that if you buy a Hybrid you're screwing over the environment more than if you drive a Hummer H2.

Look up the net energy equation with regards to hybrids vs. regular cars and learn something.

Small turbo diesels are where it's at.

Archived