OT: anybody drive a hybrid car?

bluesboy

• Members

guys, I have to be honest. While I do care about the environment, this would not be motive for buying a hybrid, and im not some smug snobby douchebag who wants to parade around in his fancy "green" car.

Im interested in saving money on gas, because I drive 140 miles a day. that's all, plain and simple. My current car is a hyundai elentra GLS, and I get on average 30-32 MPG (i drive mostly highway). My car has alot of miles on it, and good gas mileage is something im definitely wanting in my next car.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

guys, I have to be honest. While I do care about the environment, this would not be motive for buying a hybrid, and im not some smug snobby douchebag who wants to parade around in his fancy "green" car.

Im interested in saving money on gas, because I drive 140 miles a day. that's all, plain and simple. My current car is a hyundai elentra GLS, and I get on average 30-32 MPG (i drive mostly highway). My car has alot of miles on it, and good gas mileage is something im definitely wanting in my next car.

Glad you are so refreshingly honest with us. Means a lot.

How about you just drive a hybrid and not care what anyone thinks?

Besides, the Prius is the look at me it's a hybrid car. Theres a bunch of other cars that look regular.

• Members

horsepower, torque, and AWD pwnt
:o

2hs6sf5.jpg

34ioec2.jpg

Apparently I'm the only one of us in the right discussion.

I love the STI, along with many other cars. Just saying there's nothing wrong with certain Hybrids.

And I don't think anyone gets a Hybrid for power.

• Members

No, I'm in the right discussion. I'm saying that I would never get a hybrid despite the obvious benefits because they are fail.

Might as well buy one of those things and slap a C:oexist sticker on on the back :cop:

• Members

No, I'm in the right discussion. I'm saying that I would never get a hybrid despite the obvious benefits because they are fail.

Might as well buy one of those things and slap a C:oexist sticker on on the back
:cop:

They are fail? is that a matter of fact? I'll make sure to re-think everything then. Thanks.

• Members

Yeah, if you're doing 140 miles a day, mostly highway, a diesel VW would destroy any of the hybrids out right now.

• Members

As said above, if you're doing a lot of city driving then the Hybrid will get you better fuel mileage, however there is no regenerative braking while doing 70mph. You'll be going on the little bitty gas engine.

Correct. There's so much bull{censored} in this thread I feel like I've moved out to the farms, but rather than go through and correct 50 posts of utter fail, I'll just +1 to Ron.

No reason to buy hybrid over diesel or even small, octane gas, if your car is being used mostly on highway.

• Members

Let's throw a wrench in for all those eco-bastards who think buying a hybrid is "going green"...

Last year I read an article that was talking about how the building and manufacturing of a Prius wastes more energy than the same process for an H2. They were discussing battery manufacturing, shipping components from all over the world, etc... And what happens when the batteries die? The cost to replace is going to be high, and Toyota is going to have to dispose of a battery for each Prius they sell.

I'm not against hybrids or being eco-friendly. I don't drive a hybrid or hate on those that do. I just think its funny when people assume they are being less wasteful and saving money. It takes almost 10 years of regular driving to make up the difference you paid vs. the cost of gas. Then you need a few thousand $$$ for a new battery. Awesome.

• Members

Why can't the hybrid batteries be recycled?

Might not save the consumer any money, but would offset the enviro costs of making the batteries.

The battery in my Ford Escape is guaranteed for 8 years, which will be in 2015. I will make the decision about replacing the battery then, if I haven't already traded it, but I hope there will be better alternatives by that time, like fully electric plug-in rechargeables.

• Members

As said above, if you're doing a lot of city driving then the Hybrid will get you better fuel mileage, however there is no regenerative braking while doing 70mph. You'll be going on the little bitty gas engine.

+1 from me as well.

Interesting to note: my driving experience improved and my mileage went UP when I moved from a 1.4 Fiesta TDCi (68hp) to a 1.6 Fiesta TDCi (90hp), so don't blindly follow the official numbers either if you're like me constantly driving atypical long stretches of constant, relatively high speeds.

• Members

Let's throw a wrench in for all those eco-bastards who think buying a hybrid is "going green"...

Last year I read an article that was talking about how the building and manufacturing of a Prius wastes more energy than the same process for an H2. They were discussing battery manufacturing, shipping components from all over the world, etc... And what happens when the batteries die? The cost to replace is going to be high, and Toyota is going to have to dispose of a battery for each Prius they sell.

I'm not against hybrids or being eco-friendly. I don't drive a hybrid or hate on those that do. I just think its funny when people assume they are being less wasteful and saving money. It takes almost 10 years of regular driving to make up the difference you paid vs. the cost of gas. Then you need a few thousand $$$ for a new battery. Awesome.

That article about the H2 dealy was a bunch of bs...and I'm not even for hybrids.

Also, if anyone is interested....clarkson from top gear hates hybrids and here's a video of a prius going around a track as fast as it can and the new v8 BMW M3 following it. Which one gets better MPGs?

linky:

[YOUTUBE]ydvAQ6Y49vc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Just to clear up this little factoid you've stumbled upon.

GM dropped the traditional lithium design for several reasons, including reliability, the technology was expensive to produce and maintain in the real world. That and lithium deposits around the world are currently in the border fences of countries that are less desirable to do business with. Such countries have already made rather insane demands from the offset without even being approached yet.

GM instead went ahead with the Hydrogen-powered cell vehicle which worked very well. They haven't "buried" the technology, there is no secret corporate scam aimed at you and yours, last I read, the H2 technology is still there and under research. Hydrogen fuel is far safer, reliable and less expensive than almost any other fuel type being considered!

Of course with the recession, every company including GM have had to make changes to survive. If that means shelving off bloated technologies like the lithium power cell, then so be it. If Chevron or whoever you say has it now can do something with it, then all power to them. But the fact remains every company on earth has had to make some sacrifices so it doesn't take a genius to figure that things like their H2 cell isn't quite ready yet.

GM has spent billions on alternative fuel technology. Are you saying that if they had spent MORE money on a technology they have yet to earn from, they wouldn't be bankrupt now? Really!? Depsite sales of american muscle cars not showing signs of slowing until the credit crunch?

Of course the future of GM will directly impact what happens to this technology. Time will tell.

So why didn't GM allow the leaseowners to buy their car when they wanted to instead of confiscating and destroying them?

• Members

Yeah, if you're doing 140 miles a day, mostly highway, a diesel VW would destroy any of the hybrids out right now.

Totally depends on how you drive. I've had both. Slow on the highway pushes the diesel ahead in mpg. But slow on the highway is for pussies. Diesel loses out to the Prius in the city & fast highway. So Prius wins the mpg race - I've had both so nay-sayers can suck me hairy ballz

It is really funny to read so many butt-hurt people slam the Prius for being such a "look at me I'm a big {censored}in' hemp-wearin' granola eatin' prick" kind of car. Sounds like y'all are the ones with the over-active hate problems and are worrying too much about what others think :thu:

And regarding the whole "Prius is worse on the environment" and "it's a sham" thing: In all my research I came to the conclusion that *all* the info out there is misleading and getting generated by people with obvious financial interests in the debates. I suspect that it is bull{censored}, but I got to the point where I no longer cared and simply bought it for the consistently good gas mileage. It still has the diesel beat on that count.

All you need to do is spend time on both the Prius Chat & the TDI Club forums to see that both sides are full of some mighty big poo.

• Members

Totally depends on how you drive. I've had both. Slow on the highway pushes the diesel ahead in mpg. But slow on the highway is for pussies. Diesel loses out to the Prius in the city & fast highway. So Prius wins the mpg race - I've had both so nay-sayers can suck me hairy ballz

It is really funny to read so many butt-hurt people slam the Prius for being such a "look at me I'm a big {censored}in' hemp-wearin' granola eatin' prick" kind of car. Sounds like y'all are the ones with the over-active hate problems and are worrying too much about what others think
:thu:

And regarding the whole "Prius is worse on the environment" and "it's a sham" thing: In all my research I came to the conclusion that *all* the info out there is misleading and getting generated by people with obvious financial interests in the debates. I suspect that it is bull{censored}, but I got to the point where I no longer cared and simply bought it for the consistently good gas mileage. It still has the diesel beat on that count.

All you need to do is spend time on both the Prius Chat & the TDI Club forums to see that both sides are full of some mighty big poo.

I've become a total VW fanboi since I bought my Jetta. :o

That's really strange about your TDi, yet good to know. 65mph doesn't cut it in Texas, I'll certainly give you that.

My Mom has a new Jetta, and my Dad has his Benz. He gets mid 30's with his diesel engine, and roughly 30mpg in the 2.5 gas Jetta when driving back and forth between Dallas and Fort Worth. He rotates cars to keep mileage low on both, since my Mom works from home. He drives the same (80+mph on I30), but the much larger/heavier Benz get better mileage.

Obviously not Apples and Oranges, so I'm just giving you the background on my line of thinking. Maybe your TDI is having breathing problems at higher RPM's? Or maybe VW tuned it for 70 and under. :idk:

• Members

The VW service guys say my mpg is normal so iunno. I've heard of guys getting 50mpg+ on the highway but they do a *lot* of annoying cork sniffer stuff to get there and going slow is one of them. That ain't no option for me :)

I did a 300 mile test run from Austin to Lake Charles, LA doing 60mph the whole way. I got around 42mpg actually, not the 48mpg that I mentioned earlier.

If I remember my Prius mileage correctly, here's what I've seen between the two:

• Members

The VW service guys say my mpg is normal so iunno. I've heard of guys getting 50mpg on the highway but they do a *lot* of annoying cork sniffer stuff to get there and going slow is one of them. That ain't no option for me
:)

Yeah, {censored} hyper miling, and all of that jazz. Well, that's kind of a bummer.

My little 2.0/Auto (:facepalm:) averaged 33mpg a few weeks back when I drove to Austin. It's geared low, so it tachs out around 4500 rpm at ~80mph. I thought my mileage was going to SUCK, but was pleasantly surprised that I made it all the way to San Marcos with gas to spare.

Makes me wonder if 65mph would have made it even better. But, like you, that {censored} isn't happening. :thu:

Archived