New gun day!!!! Smith and Wesson and backup weapon

jlc1587

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard the M&Ps are good now they fixed the mag drop issues.

I have a S&W upper on my AR and it is a piece of {censored}, I can't wait to get rid of it. I have gone through a ton of S&W boots, knives, and flashlights. I don't think I could ever rely on another product from them.

I am a Glock fan though. Its pretty nice to qualify for their public safety program! I get 1 gun at the LE price for being a GSSF member, 3 for being an Armorer, and unlimited for qualifying as "public safety". NICE!

• Members
Well, considering that I carry a Glock fully loaded and chambered in a location I can get to very quickly (when I bother to carry) and I train extensively with it I'd rather bet on my own abilities rather than the good will of an armed robber.

I agree with you that most people who just pick up a pistol and get the bare minimum of training for their concealed carry permit are most likely going to be more at risk than if they weren't carrying provided they attempt to escalate a situation, not play it cool.

That's why any time someone is asking for advice on "Which pistol should I get for concealed carry" The last pistol you want is a 1911 or anything with manual safeties or a Double-action/Single-action trigger like alot of autos. You want a striker fired or DA only hammerless auto with no external safeties and a decent magazine capacity that fits your hand and is reliable. It needs to be in a caliber that you shoot well and that you can afford to practice with. That's it. All the other stuff is bull{censored}. That's why if Glock fits your hand they build the finest combat/concealed carry handgun in the world. They're stupidly easy to use, hold lots of rounds, never jam, and are reasonably light and easy to conceal.

Firearms training is crucial to survival if you're going to carry and it's split about 60% mindset and tactics and 40% marksmanship and technique. Shooting cans won't get you there. Joining an IDPA league will but only if you actually show up and shoot. My wife and I used to shoot about 200rnds a week each in defensive pistol shooting drills as part of an organized league. We've had to curtail that a bunch because of the shortage of ammo the last year or so. My wife actually shoots a pistol much better than I do.

Before that I was being paid by the government to train in all sorts of urban survival tactics. We almost never used handguns but the tactics are the same.

You see, I'm going to look at each situation as it comes up. If I believe for a second that the dude is going to hurt me or more importantly, my wife, rather than just rob us then I'll do my best to kill the mother{censored}er. I'd consider it an even trade to be killed or seriously hurt keeping my wife safe. It's all about the individial situation.

In my 28 years on this planet I haven't come into a situation that would require using a firearm to protect myself, possibly just by chance, but I agree with you... especially the last paragraph. Yes it's situational, and I'm sure the family of whatever scumbag jumps me would win some stupid court case afterwards (If not worse - an overwhelming force & manslaughter charge... very possible here), but to me a couple years in jail is better than having someone I care about dead because of some punk thug who is going to kill me and my family for his next rock of crack.

I can identify with the anti-gun folks too because I'm somewhat non-confrontational at heart, but when you consider the lowlife scum that are walking around this planet, I'd rather be perceived as a gun-totting redneck than a free thinker hippie lying dead on the sidewalk. :wave:

I've been thinking about getting my PAL (Possession acquisition license) for the last couple years but haven't got around to doing the course & training. At some point I wouldn't mind owning a Sig P226 and a Stag Arms lefty AR of some sort (legal here with a 5 rd. mag or 30 rd mag pinned to only accept 5 rounds), but at this point I don't have the $3-3.5K to put into that sort of thing...

Archived