New gun day!!!! Smith and Wesson and backup weapon

jlc1587

• Members

Well, I traded my glock. 40 for a smith and wesson .45 Which will now be my duty weapon. I always wanted a back up weapon on my ankle so I got a .380 Ruger. The Ruger was only like 350. Don't have an ankle holster yet but I got a pocket holster. I wear 5.11 pants at work so it'll fit in the cargo pockets. Haven't shot neither yet.

DSCN0115.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I traded my glock. 40 for a smith and wesson .45 Which will now be my duty weapon. I always wanted a back up weapon on my ankle so I got a .380 Ruger. The Ruger was only like 350. Don't have an ankle holster yet but I got a pocket holster. I wear 5.11 pants at work so it'll fit in the cargo pockets. Haven't shot neither yet.

DSCN0115.jpg

You must check out Comp Tac for holsters. I've got the M-Tac and it's so comfy you can forget you're wearing it and it's an IWB which is pretty unusual.

• Members

You must check out Comp Tac for holsters. I've got the M-Tac and it's so comfy you can forget you're wearing it and it's an IWB which is pretty unusual.

Cool.. That's why I got this .380. It was so light it weighs hardly nothing. I started to get the 9mm but it weighed more. The guy tried to talk me into a small revolver but those weighed way too much.

This smith and wesson feels really natural. I just don't like glock anymore. I had to get rid of it. Love the springfield still though.

I work at a small place and they allow us to carry whatever the hell we want. So, it's pretty cool that I can try all of this out. Last place forced me to use a glock so that's why I bought it in the first place.

• Members

Cool.. That's why I got this .380. It was so light it weighs hardly nothing. I started to get the 9mm but it weighed more. The guy tried to talk me into a small revolver but those weighed way too much.

This smith and wesson feels really natural. I just don't like glock anymore. I had to get rid of it. Love the springfield still though.

I work at a small place and they allow us to carry whatever the hell we want. So, it's pretty cool that I can try all of this out. Last place forced me to use a glock so that's why I bought it in the first place.

That's cool. A buddy is a contractor and the company he works for got a bunch of the M&P's to eval. He liked it alot but if he goes back to Iraq he'll be taking his Glock 17 and his M4.

Definately call Comp Tac. They're nice folks and probably give a discount for LE. They've probably got some neat stuff that's not up on the site as well. You never know. I called them because I had no idea what I wanted and I'd had terrible luck with IWB holsters. I usually just make my own Kydex holsters. They reccommended the MTAC and I love it. Plus, you can buy different Kydex pieces and use the same base for different guns.

• Members

Nice! Wait a minute, are Rugers made in Prescott? Cool.

My next handgun will be a Smith & Wesson .357 Revolver. I've been shying away from automatics and going towards revolvers these days. Fun to shoot double or single action. Great fun.:cool:

• Members

That's cool. A buddy is a contractor and the company he works for got a bunch of the M&P's to eval. He liked it alot but if he goes back to Iraq he'll be taking his Glock 17 and his M4.

Definately call Comp Tac. They're nice folks and probably give a discount for LE. They've probably got some neat stuff that's not up on the site as well. You never know. I called them because I had no idea what I wanted and I'd had terrible luck with IWB holsters. I usually just make my own Kydex holsters. They reccommended the MTAC and I love it. Plus, you can buy different Kydex pieces and use the same base for different guns.

Cool, you got a link to their site?

Yeah, the M&P just felt really nice. I've had some co workers that have been telling me to get a smith and wesson forever. My lieutenant carries a springfield though which is what got me into that. And they are great but there is a few little things i don't like about it. Like when I'm practicing I can't put a single bullet in it each time I have to fill the stupid clip up every time.

I'm about to go outside in a second and shoot these two guns. I probably can't hit {censored} with the .380 but it's more of an "oh {censored}" gun anyway. It'll be good off duty to put in my pocket when in bad neighborhoods and stuff too. Which is what I was doing with my glock .40 It's a 23, compact, but it weighs my pants down in my cargo pockets.

When I got this .380 in the pocket holster it looks like it's a cell phone in a case almost.

• Members

i like that ruger -- had a keltec for about a week, and the thing malfunctioned out of the box, sent it back to factory, and even after they "fixed" it, it once again malfunctioned before i could even empty one magazine :mad:

my daily carry is a glock 26

but i would LOVE to have a smaller concealed carry gun like that ruger.:love:

something nice and small that fits in the gigbag :cool:

• Members

Nice! Wait a minute, are Rugers made in Prescott? Cool.

My next handgun will be a Smith & Wesson .357 Revolver. I've been shying away from automatics and going towards revolvers these days. Fun to shoot double or single action. Great fun.
:cool:

Yeah, I started to get a revolver as a backup but they weighed to much. And I can't carry one as a main weapon at work so I didn't even look at the bigger ones.

• Members

i like that ruger -- had a keltec for about a week, and the thing malfunctioned out of the box, sent it back to factory, and even after they "fixed" it, it once again malfunctioned before i could even empty one magazine
:mad:

my daily carry is a glock 26

but i would LOVE to have a smaller concealed carry gun like that ruger.
:love:

something nice and small that fits in the gigbag

Yep... I seen some, not sure what brand, but were just like the ruger that were only 199 bucks. The ruger was 350. they got a slightly bigger ruger 9mm for 389. It's still small enough to conceal as easily but it would weigh a little more on the ankle.

• Members

Yeah, I started to get a revolver as a backup but they weighed to much. And I can't carry one as a main weapon at work so I didn't even look at the bigger ones.

Well, a .357 magnum with medium frame and 6" barrel isn't really a conceal weapon! It's a reveal weapon!:cool:

• Members

Yep... I seen some, not sure what brand, but were just like the ruger that were only 199 bucks. The ruger was 350. they got a slightly bigger ruger 9mm for 389. It's still small enough to conceal as easily but it would weigh a little more on the ankle.

anything small that is reliable that doesn't "print" as a gun visually when you conceal it is PURE WIN.

the keltec people were cool, and refunded ALL my money. :thu:

that ruger caught my eye, but i haven't been able to test one yet.

i used to work as a P.I. and executive protection guy, and i still have my "G" license as well as my "CC" license. i do a fair amount of training during the year, with various "contractors" and other ex-mil guys.

will be very interested in your experiences with this firearm!:thu:

• Members

Well, a .357 magnum with medium frame and 6" barrel isn't really a conceal weapon! It's a reveal weapon!

Well I have a .357 magnum revolver and is the very definition of a conceal handgun. S&W 340PD. Tiny J-frame revolver made of scandium alloy with a titanium cylinder. Only weighs 12oz. Only problem with a .357 magnum revolver that only weighs 12oz is that you had BETTER be prepared for what happens when you pull the trigger. Every shot feels like you just caught a fastball at a baseball game with your bare hand. It has drawn blood on a couple of people who have tried mine out.

Dk0Mq.jpg

• Members

Hey guys I need some help.

I just went and shot it and the ruger wont kick the bullets up from the clip to the chamber. It's also bending the bullets they are hollow point. I can see where it bends them trying to kick it up. It worked one time. Each time I fire a round it stays back and doesn't kick one in.

What's wrong with it?

• Members

Only problem with a .357 magnum revolver that only weighs 12oz is that you had BETTER be prepared for what happens when you pull the trigger. Every shot feels like you just caught a fastball at a baseball game with your bare hand. It has drawn blood on a couple of people who have tried mine out.

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. I want a medium frame and a 6" barrel. I don't want it to be too light. That's not an enjoyable gun to own. I prefer to take them to the range and shoot them.

I understand why you have it though. It's cool.:cool:

• Members

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about. I want a medium frame and a 6" barrel. I don't want it to be too light. That's not an enjoyable gun to own. I prefer to take them to the range and shoot them.

I understand why you have it though. It's cool.

Yes..... I live in Philadelphia. haha. It's definitely not for fun purposes.

• Members

Hey guys I need some help.

I just went and shot it and the ruger wont kick the bullets up from the clip to the chamber. It's also bending the bullets they are hollow point. I can see where it bends them trying to kick it up. It worked one time. Each time I fire a round it stays back and doesn't kick one in.

What's wrong with it?

Have you tried shooting it with ball rounds? If not try ball rounds first and get back to us. Also, take a detailed pic of the stoppage.

• Members

Have you tried shooting it with ball rounds? If not try ball rounds first and get back to us. Also, take a detailed pic of the stoppage.

I'm using federal premium with hollow point.

The stoppage is just like when you are loading a new bullet in. But it doesn't come out of the clip. It just stays there. Like when you are out of ammo and the barrel goes back and stays? Like on a glock? But it's doing it like I'm out of ammo and theres more in the clip.

I shot it some more and it worked a full clip and then started doing it again.

The slide stays all the way back is what im saying. Like when you bring the slide back to load new ammo directly into the barrel? It's doing that and it has more in the clip.

• Members

I'm using federal premium with hollow point.

The stoppage is just like when you are loading a new bullet in. But it doesn't come out of the clip. It just stays there. Like when you are out of ammo and the barrel goes back and stays? Like on a glock? But it's doing it like I'm out of ammo and theres more in the clip.

I shot it some more and it worked a full clip and then started doing it again.

Hmmm... Without seeing what it looks like with the thing jammed up I can't make anything like an educated guess. I'm guessing the rounds are hanging up somehow. Federal makes a frangible that looks more or less like a ball round but blows apart like a hollowpoint. Cor Bon also makes Powerball which is my favorite carry ammo. Get some of that and see if it works.

I've found that little back up guns often don't like hollowpoints which is why the dinky glocks are so popular. Ruger has great customer service from what I hear tho so if it's a problem with the pistol they'll take care of you.

Take a pic of the thing jammed up from top down into the ejection port so I can see, and also take a pic of a round that's been deformed.

• Members

I have a Comp-Tac IWB holster for my 27. Highly Recomended. They have adjustable clips so you can get the right angle for the most comfort.

I can walk into Wally World packin' with only a T-Shirt on, and you'd never know I had all' the bullets! :thu:

BTW, the M&P's are nice guns!

Archived