Car guys - give me some advice

guitarbilly74

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just did. Car has 203K miles and the guy would lower the price to $1450 but he needs the whole amount right away (understandably).

So it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Besides, the car is 4 years older and has 70k more miles than the 'stang.

203k is just broken in for the 4.0. they'll do 300k easily.

• Members

i've never seen a old cherokee that didn't leak oil.

Plus they're slow as {censored} and really noisy.

My buddy had one in high school and would give me rides to class daily.

Except for once a month when he had to put the cherokee in the shop for something always breaking.

And his leaked so much oil he had to constantly add more and more ... to the point where we was spending a retarded amount of money on just keeping the car.

Then he saved up about $2000 and got a used civic and has had no problems since.

My Buick has given me 0 problems except the left turn signal is acting up now :idk:

• Members

Don't be afraid of the 'stang man. Most vehicles are as reliable as they've been maintained to be. If the car seems like it's in good shape, and sounds like it is, I wouldn't be afraid of it one bit. Especially for that price.

• Members

This is fact.

But, for the price and if it drives well. Take it. Its a good price on a car that is probably worth $2500-$3000.

Sorry about all your troubles Bill. Hang in there.

Reread the OP like I should have... it's NOT a GT or cobra.

The v6 is more practical anyway.

• Members

You should be fine GB. That is a pretty good price and it should run for a while. Parts for that car are cheap too, so if soemething breaks, should not be an issue. Since it's a manual tranny, it will be less likely to break compared to an auto. The computer may give out in the future, you never know with those, but the good thing is that those are REALLY easy to replace. You could do it yourself in about 10 minutes.

• Members

well my mechanic called and said everything looks good in the car. I am going to pay for it now and drive around a bit
:thu:

Thanks guys!!!!

Whatever you do, watch those headgaskets like a hawk. If they haven't been replaced yet, it's pretty much a ticking time bomb. When they do go, if you catch it quick enough you'll be able to get by with just a gasket job, which isn't that big of a deal. If you torch that engine, you might as well throw the car away.

• Members

+1 ^^ Head gaskets always pop on the same cylinders (i forget which) dont get it hot. They ARE good cars.

Leave it to Ford to essentially copy the best V-6 ever made and then screw it up by trying to save a couple of pennies on a headgasket.

They did the same thing with the AXOD and AX4 series transmissions.....great design, but decided to save literally pennies on each one built by using cheap parts and the result is that they are perhaps the worst automatic ever made. Once updated per the TSB's, they'll run forever.

:facepalm:

• Members

How do you haul your gear????
:cop:
:poke:
:idea:

I don't know man.. I think I can MAYBE fit a 4x12 sideways on the back seat. I'm not sure.

My drummer has a truck so he may have to pick up my cab on gig days. We will figure it out.

Frankly, I'm just glad I still have some gear to haul. :thu:

• Members
I don't know man.. I think I can MAYBE fit a 4x12 sideways on the back seat. I'm not sure.

My drummer has a truck so he may have to pick up my cab on gig days. We will figure it out.

Frankly, I'm just glad I still have some gear to haul.

Best wishes, prayers & mojo sent your way Billy.:thu::love::thu::love::thu::love:

• Members

congrats on the car, I think that's a great price if it's working order.

my mechanic gave it a clean bill of health, he say it appears the has has been well treated and he doesn't foresee any problems. He's an honest guy and he has interest whatsoever on the sale so that gave me confidence.

• Members

Frankly, I'm just glad I still have some gear to haul.

No go on the 4x12 in the back seat.

I've owned 5 Mustangs and they just don't fit.

2x12 is your friend.

Welcome to the world of Mustangs :thu:

Archived