Car guys - give me some advice

guitarbilly74

• Members

It's not super reliable, but it's cheap on parts for sure.

I'd say just take it to get checked by a mechanic for the usual expensive stuff.

Headgasket, transmission, compression test it, has the timing belt been changed?

etc etc. If you need any info at all feel free to pm me, I will happily give you advice on what to check out!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, people who say
all
domestics can't last as long as an import have their heads up their asses.

I have seen a 1979 Pontiac Trans am that I guy had that I was talking to and I seen that is had almost 500,000 miles on a 400Ci BB V8. So all the myths the import lovers have are bull{censored}. I am not knocking on imports because I own one myself; But domestics are not bad like everyone claims they're.

• Members

I've owned nothing but Mustangs for a decade now. (96 GT, 01 GT, 04 Cobra)

Great cars. Be prepared for tires, brakes, and a tune up, and you'll be good to go for many miles! I've NEVER had any major problems with mine.

This, And the maintenance cost for domestic anything is way cheaper then import anything. My dream would to get a 1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 ci built to the max and make it a 9-10 sec car for under $10,000 into the whole car.:love:

• Members

Anybody ask what powertrain this has? 3.8 & auto is a great combo. This also came with a 2.5. Another one that likely isn't thrashed. 4.6, fuhgeddaboudit. Good engine, but it WILL be ridden hard & put away wet.

Words cannot express how hard I've abused my 4.6's and they never even leaked a drop of oil. :cop:

• Members

This, And the maintenance cost for domestic anything is way cheaper then import anything. My dream would to get a 1967 Cougar XR-7 w/289 ci built to the max and make it a 9-10 sec car for under $10,000 into the whole car.
:love:

Domestics are cheaper to maintain generally, but civics are sooo cheap to maintain.

Parts cost next to nothing.

• Members

Anybody ask what powertrain this has? 3.8 & auto is a great combo. This also came with a 2.5. Another one that likely isn't thrashed. 4.6, fuhgeddaboudit. Good engine, but it WILL be ridden hard & put away wet.

93' was that last year for the 2.3

• Members

Yeah because you can find the parts are dime a dozen, But most Imports cost a {censored} load of money to fix.

Depends where you get your parts and if you go to independent garages.

Best part about civics is if you join car msg boards, theres always people parting out civics.

I got so many parts for next to nothing.

There's most likely tons of sites for people with mustangs who part them out too. Would be a good idea to join.

• Members

Depends where you get your parts and if you go to independent garages.

Best part about civics is if you join car msg boards, theres always people parting out civics.

I got so many parts for next to nothing.

There's most likely tons of sites for people with mustangs who part them out too. Would be a good idea to join.

Anytime I need parts for my 98' Accord I just got to the junk yard and usually they have what I need.:thu:

• Members

3.8 and manual transmission.

I just came back from driving it again and it drives really well. No visible leaks, transmission shifts smoothly, clutch is fine, brakes and shocks are good.

The owner of the car is a really cool guy, he really doesn't seem care if he sells it or not and he's just trying to help me out. He lowered the price to $1350 ($1000 today and $350 in 30 days but I get the title right away) and allowed me to take the car to my mechanic to get it inspected. It's at the shop now and my mechanic will call me in a few hours. If he gives me the OK, I will have a new car today :cool:

• Members
3.8 and manual transmission.

I just came back from driving it again and it drives really well. No visible leaks, transmission shifts smoothly, clutch is fine, brakes and shocks are good.

The owner of the car is a really cool guy, he really doesn't seem care if he sells it or not and he's just trying to help me out. He lowered the price to $1350 ($1000 today and $350 in 30 days but I get the title right away) and allowed me to take the car to my mechanic to get it inspected. It's at the shop now and my mechanic will call me in a few hours. If he gives me the OK, I will have a new car today
:cool:

:thu:

• Members

Yeah, and they fell apart as fast as they were fixed.

Stay away from that {censored}.

Doug, considering the fact that I'm getting this car for $1350, do you still think it's a bad deal?? Don't you think I'd be able to get a few years out of the car??

I checked some Hondas and stuff and the ones with similar mileage/age of this Mustang are pricing around $3000-5000. There are better deals from private sellers but I don't have the whole money upfront so I'd need to buy it from a lot. Do you think it would be better for me to finance a Honda than pay cash for this and drive it until my financial situation stabilizes again??

• Members

More like

F irst

O n

R ace

D ay

You seriously need to learn about Fords history in racing; I own both a Honda Accord 98' and 70' Mercury Cougar XR-7 and I can tell you what My cougar is a {censored}ing beast and is almost 40 yrs and still starts up and runs fine.

More like.............:cop:

F - ix

O - r

R - epair

D - aily

• Members

Call e'm up.
:cop:
:poke:
:idea::love:

I just did. Car has 203K miles and the guy would lower the price to $1450 but he needs the whole amount right away (understandably).

So it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Besides, the car is 4 years older and has 70k more miles than the 'stang.

Archived